Is my Martin for real?

Posted by Steve on Thu, 11/15/01 - 21:21:47.

I bought my Martin guitar over 20 years ago from a pawn shop in Calgary. I have been playing it and writing songs ever since. Only recently have I been looking into exactly what model it is and I am now finding out that I may have been playing on a Martin knock-off all this time. Although the quality and sound have been excellant and I really can't complain, I am a little disappointed that I don't appear to have the real thing. Or do I? I really don't know. Perhaps someone out there can explain it to me. On the head of the guitar is a logo entitled, "MARTIN". Underneath the logo it says CANADA and underneath that it says EST 1970. Is this a real Martin, related to C.F. Martin & Co. based in Nazareth PA, or is the only connection in the name "MARTIN"? The model number stamped inside, says DR-35N. All these years I thought I had the best guitar made. Now I am thinking that there may be better guitars (real Martins) out there.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Is my Martin for real?

: I bought my Martin guitar over 20 years ago from a pawn shop in Calgary. I have been playing it and writing songs ever since. Only recently have I been looking into exactly what model it is and I am now finding out that I may have been playing on a Martin knock-off all this time. Although the quality and sound have been excellant and I really can't complain, I am a little disappointed that I don't appear to have the real thing. Or do I? I really don't know. Perhaps someone out there can explain it to me. On the head of the guitar is a logo entitled, "MARTIN". Underneath the logo it says CANADA and underneath that it says EST 1970. Is this a real Martin, related to C.F. Martin & Co. based in Nazareth PA, or is the only connection in the name "MARTIN"? The model number stamped inside, says DR-35N. All these years I thought I had the best guitar made. Now I am thinking that there may be better guitars (real Martins) out there.

Its always a worry that something may not be quite right or what you thought it was? What of the wood? What of the sound, the fretboard, the action? Personally I am very happy with my "Maton", definitely not a Martin, rather an Aussie made guitar - with the right woods and great workmanship. but most of all - the sound, the timbre, it is just beautiful - and that's more important to me than any manufacturer's name!

Re: Is my Martin for real?

: .Relax, Steve. Rest assured that you have a genuine Martin D 35! Martin established an assembly and repair facility in Toronto in 1970 .I don't know how many guitars they built there, but as a bluegrass player and repairman here in Vancouver I have come across two Made in Canada Martin D 35s. The Toronto facility remains, primarily as a parts depot. As far as I've seen, there is no impact, positive or negative, on the value of the instrument. Play it and love it, Steve.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.