Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Gibson Sonex-180 Deluxe

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I recently got a hold of a Gibson Sonex-180 Deluxe, and have been desperately searching for info on it with no luck, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I have a cream? Coloured sonex 180de luxe in great condition . Any offers or what could it be worth?

Anonymous

Ihad one in 89-90, sweeeeeeet! they were made only between 1980-1984. they were the cheapest guitar gibson ever made, but mine was the best i ever played. i paid $200 at a pawn shop, and my buddy had just dropped $1200 on a gibson les paul standard, he preferred my sonex over his! gibson doesnt have any info on them on their website at all, and will probably not reissue, if i see one for sale im grabbin it! despite the cheap body, and bolt on neck, the sound a sonex produces is real magic, and the action is smooth and easy, i give it 3 thumbs up! near as i can tell the only differencce between the 3 models, deluxe, custom and artist, was the finish options

Anonymous

Well chaps i have a Gibson Sonex 180 Standard which for some reason is more fancy than the Deluxe. It has a coil tap switch right by the jack socket does the deluxe have this ? I bought it for £180 in 1980 in the fender soundhouse in soho london which is no longer there. It has served me well ever since. I love this chunky quirky and rare thick necked beast. Will try emailing gibson for more info

Anonymous

:I have owned a Gibson Sonex 180 deluxe for the past 9 years. I have always wondered when it was made and how much it eas worth. I bought it for $100 at a yard sale in Ohio from an old man who said it was his sons who had moved away. Since I bought it I have recorded with it , played gigs with it and practiced on it. I own seven other vintage guitars and the sonex by far is my favorite. I will try to e-mail ti serial number to gibson and get some info like one of your responses recomended. Im glad Im not the only one who was in search of this mysterious guitars history. Good luck.

Anonymous

Well wut do u need to know dude?

Anonymous

http://www.rwkguitars.com/FactsGibsonSonex.htm : I recently got a hold of a Gibson Sonex-180 Deluxe, and have been desperately searching for info on it with no luck, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous

: I recently got a hold of a Gibson Sonex-180 Deluxe, and have been desperately searching for info on it with no luck, any help would be greatly appreciated! I proudly own a Sonex 180 Deluxe with the composite particle board body and mahogany neck. Mine is black, I Love it. It is great for the punk rock that I play.

Anonymous

I happened across one in december and my only other guitfiddle at the time was a project guitar that wasnt working at the time because i’ve never wired emgs before. Anyway, i figured "why not" cause it is an american made gibson…no matter if it is the "poor mans les paul". I love this guitar, i just rewired it last night and put a new pickgaurd on it (cause the old one was cracked) and it sounds great. I believe its made of resonwood…some sort of plastic/wood composite which makes it heavy but sounds cool. Ive been playing for 8 years and ive head everything from jacksons to fenders to ibanez, and this guitar has been my fav so far…its extremely durable and versitle and the best thing is…..no body knows about them….theyre pretty hard to find and even though mine is all scratched and nicked and paint is missing…i think its the coolest looking guitar ive ever had. It has a lot of character and a vintage sound and look to it. I give the sonex a strong 10. If for some reason i was in a band that made it big and famous…id still use this guitar at every show. Who needs a backup when you have a sonex. -chris

Anonymous

:

Anonymous

when i got the guitar, it needed some work… I traded an effects pedal for it, from a friend of mine when I was in high school. I am restoring the guitar into a gem… I did not even know that the guitar was a gibson until I read your website…. I thought it was just "another" gibson stlye bodied guitar… I don’t have a lot of time to finish typing all that I would like to ask you… would you email me, maybe the both of us can work together to answer each others questions. thanx- Jason [email protected]

Anonymous

: I recently got a hold of a Gibson Sonex-180 Deluxe, and have been desperately searching for info on it with no luck, any help would be greatly appreciated! Les Paul body size and shape, beveled edge on bass side, single cutaway, Multi-Phonic body (wood core, resin outer layer), 2 exposed-coil Velvet Brick humbucking pickups, 3-way selector switch, tune-o-matic bridge, pickguard covers 3/4 of body, bolt-on 3 piece maple neck, 24 3/4" scale, rosewood fingerboard, 22 frets, dot inlay, metal tuners, decal logo, chrome-plated hardware, ebony. Introduced as Sonex-180: 1980 Renamed Sonex-180 Deluxe: 1981 "Sonex by Gibson" logo decal: June 1982 "The Gibson Guitar Co." logo decal: July 1982 Standard Gibson logo, ebony, candy apple red, silverburst or antique fireburst finish: late 1982 Discontinued: 1984 John ‘Doc’ Adams PS/Want to sell?

Anonymous

the gibson sonex was engineered by gibson to have the best sustaine of any guitar. the neck was made of mahogany and the body was made of resin wood. the pick ups are zebras wich were specialy desined for the guitar. that was the only time resin wood was ever used in any guitar. the sonex is really a peice of guitar history. but only 24 thousand sonexes were made in 1980

Anonymous

I have a Gibson sonex-180 deluxe, and I want you to send me some pictures about the sonex, The one I have is older…. Bye…

Anonymous

: I recently got a hold of a Gibson Sonex-180 Deluxe, and have been desperately searching for info on it with no luck, any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a 1981 Sonex 180 deluxe, which needs a new pickguard and some electronics work done, that my parents got me for a christmas gift about 10 years ago from an old guy in Hobart, IN for about 00….. It immediately became, and still is to this day, my #1 guitar! I have tried other Les Pauls, SG’s, and similar guitars, but this one has "the" tone!!!!! HEre’s a list of mods and tricks I installed in the past few years:
      500-T humbucker in bridge position, modified with removed pole pieces in the humbucker to "thin" the sound a bit;
      Coil taps on both humbuckers;
      Shorter pickup mounts to facilitate placing the strings closer to the frets, making playing easier and "faster";
      new bone nut instead of the plastic one that came with, better sustain;
      graphite string saddles
      The thing sounds great now ran into my Fender tube combo, and I can get any tone I want out of it! All replacement parts are made by Gibson and any mods were done by me, so as to keep it somewhat "original"….. This summer it’ll get the new pickguard, which I hope to get from Gibson or Front Porch Music in Valparaiso, IN, since MArk, the guitar tech there, I KNOW can make it!

Anonymous

i have one cream color – made early 80’s – a les paul at a lower price – thing plays and sounds great
      keith

Anonymous

:i have one as well. My father origionally owned it. Same cream colour. Plays and sounds brilliantly

Anonymous

i couldn’t agree more. the guitar is a rocker!

Anonymous

i too have a vester guitar which i love and have searched the web high and low for any trace of this elusive company but all to no avail. The only lead i found was that they stopped making guitars a few years ago and now only make pickups

Anonymous

I also have a Vester Guitar and i love mine more than you love yours,its called Vester-Maniac, TOP THAT!,and I think it was comstom made,it kicks ass bigtime,and now we know that Vester guitars are very rare,and they rule in sound,so e-mail me dude!

Anonymous

Ive got a Sonex. They were the cheap mans guitar in the 1980s. Made in the USA, for the USA. These guitars a Rare in the UK. Main diff was the bolt on neck. There not very light (big understatement). Best thing to do if you want to find out more. If you turn over the sonex and look at the head, they should all have a serial number at the top. Email this to Gibson, because they have records of where they were all made. Mine was made in Nash-Ville, in 1982. It was the 91st guitar made on the 123rd of that year (Yes they are that accurate). Have fun.

Anonymous

: : I recently got a hold of a Gibson Sonex-180 Deluxe, and have been desperately searching for info on it with no luck, any help would be greatly appreciated!
      : DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON IT YET ???

Anonymous

: : I recently got a hold of a Gibson Sonex-180 Deluxe, and have been desperately searching for info on it with no luck, any help would be greatly appreciated!
      : DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON IT YET ???
      I think I have a manual that I can copy and send to you. I have the guitar as well and I believe I still have the manual. Send your email address to me and I’ll scan it in as a .pdf file this weekend and send it to you.

Anonymous

: : : I recently got a hold of a Gibson Sonex-180 Deluxe, and have been desperately searching for info on it with no luck, any help would be greatly appreciated! : : DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON IT YET ??? : I think I have a manual that I can copy and send to you. I have the guitar as well and I believe I still have the manual. Send your email address to me and I’ll scan it in as a .pdf file this weekend and send it to you. hey there. just bought a sonex 180 custom for 25 bucks. i too am looking for that info. if you could send me that manual copy or let me know where i can get one on my own i would greatly appriciate it. where can i get original paint anyone know ?? mine used to be white until the kid i got it from tried to do his own custom spray paint job on the thing thanks so much codith

Anonymous

: I recently got a hold of a Gibson Sonex-180 Deluxe, and have been desperately searching for info on it with no luck, any help would be greatly appreciated!
      DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON IT YET ???

Anonymous

i have a friend that just acquired a 180 and wants to sell it, anyone have an idea of its value? serial no. 81031665 He found it in mexico Ben

Anonymous

in the early 80s a lot of companys were making none wood guitars the sonex 180 was gibsons adventure into this market. the sonex was produced from 80 to 84. it features a multi-phonic body (wood core resin outer layer) the sonex was made in 3 styles the standard the deluxe and the custom. i dont know what the difference between the standard and the deluxe, but the custom has a coil tap switch. although not very popular among most gibson fanatics i own one and other than my 1960 les paul its my favorite

Anonymous

Hi! Here’s some info that could be of interest for you. I’ve got it from a guy at Gibson.com: Les Paul body size and shape, beveled edge on bass side, single cutaway, Multi-Phonic body (wood core, resin outer layer), 2 exposed-coil Velvet Brick humbucking pickups, 3-way selector switch, tune-o-matic bridge, pickguard covers 3/4 of body, bolt-on 3 piece maple neck, 24 3/4" scale, rosewood fingerboard, 22 frets, dot inlay, metal tuners, decal logo, chrome-plated hardware, ebony. Introduced as Sonex-180: 1980 Renamed Sonex-180 Deluxe: 1981 "Sonex by Gibson" logo decal: June 1982 "The Gibson Guitar Co." logo decal: July 1982 Standard Gibson logo, ebony, candy apple red, silverburst or antique fireburst finish: late 1982 Discontinued: 1984 Regards, Henrik

Anonymous

:
      : :I have a great rare Vester 5string active maniac bass in mother of pearl and its like a guitar you can only dream about!!! Trust me! you see this guitar youll want to av its babys. If you want to find out more e-mail me 4 a chat or any offers. an oppertunity not to miss!!! Trust me!!

Anonymous

i´ve got a vester stage series,i want to find out about this guitars too.
      : :
      : : : I recently got a hold of a vester electric guitar.i remember seeing ads in guitar mags.how do i find out about this guitar

Anonymous

I too just got a VesterII Maniac through ebay , I love it,I can find very little on the company but did find a distributer for Vester guitars in Australia.The Company is called Jade Sound Systems Pty.LTD.As far as I can Find vester made guitars in the 80’s . : i´ve got a vester stage series,i want to find out about this guitars too. : : : : : : : I recently got a hold of a vester electric guitar.i remember seeing ads in guitar mags.how do i find out about this guitar

Anonymous

:
      : : I recently got a hold of a vester electric guitar.i remember seeing ads in guitar mags.how do i find out about this guitar

Anonymous

: I recently got a hold of a vester electric guitar.i remember seeing ads in guitar mags.how do i find out about this guitar

Anonymous

: I bought a Vester strat copy and it sounds great but I can’t find any info about ‘vester’ on the web. : : I recently got a hold of a vester electric guitar.i remember seeing ads in guitar mags.how do i find out about this guitar

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.