Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Goodall RGC

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Hey Goodall lovers, can you help? I’m looking at a used Goodall RGC, which sounds better than anything I’ve heard in six months of looking at fingerstyle acoustics — and is way too beautiful with Koa binding body, neck and headstock. I believe there’s koa in the rosette, too. My question is about the top. The standard RGC top is sitka or engleman, but this seems somewhat redder than what I usually think of as spruce, with a wide-ish grain. I’d expect it to be cedar, but then the sticker inside would read RGCC instead of RGC. I know Goodall offers a redwood option, too, but I’d expect it to show up on the model designation. What do you think? Could it be that it’s a wide-grained spruce that’s been slightly stained. The dealer told me it’s spruce but didn’t seem very sure. The guitar itself doesn’t sound super-bright (I assume because of the wide grain), but has plenty of highs. Any help would be appreciated. I’ve never owned a guitar anywhere near this price range and I’d like to learn as much as possible before pulling the trigger. Thanks

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

: Hey Goodall lovers, can you help? I’m looking at a used Goodall RGC, which sounds better than anything I’ve heard in six months of looking at fingerstyle acoustics — and is way too beautiful with Koa binding body, neck and headstock. I believe there’s koa in the rosette, too. My question is about the top. The standard RGC top is sitka or engleman, but this seems somewhat redder than what I usually think of as spruce, with a wide-ish grain. I’d expect it to be cedar, but then the sticker inside would read RGCC instead of RGC. I know Goodall offers a redwood option, too, but I’d expect it to show up on the model designation. What do you think? Could it be that it’s a wide-grained spruce that’s been slightly stained. The dealer told me it’s spruce but didn’t seem very sure. The guitar itself doesn’t sound super-bright (I assume because of the wide grain), but has plenty of highs. Any help would be appreciated. I’ve never owned a guitar anywhere near this price range and I’d like to learn as much as possible before pulling the trigger. Thanks

Anonymous

: The last C you speak of would indicate "cutaway" in a Goodall, not "Cedar", you may be looking at a wide grained Adirondack top… which is also known as RED spruce!! I think this should clear things up for you. Did you buy it by the way?? I’m looking hard at a Goodall or two myself. M

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.