Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Is Mann Guitars a company?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I bet you’d find it pretty weird for me to be so interested in guitars, being ten years old. Just wondering; my uncle has a black guitar that he guesses was made in around 1970. It is made by Mann Guitars in Japan. I had never heard of them, so I checked the most extensive guitar daabases. The name "Mann Guitars" did not show up on any. I did however find "Manne Guitars" in Italy. Does Mann Guitars even exist any more, or did they change their name or something?

Let me know
    Thanx

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I have a Mann guitar, model AJ 303 (Dove copy)
      I’m interested in selling
      It’s 1980s vintage

Email me if interested.

Anonymous

I also have a Mann guitar. It’s a model number aj-501. I’ve never heard of the company but it plays and sounds great.

Anonymous

I bought my Mann A-304D from Nelsons Music Centre on Government Street in Victoria, B.C. in 1977. I now have a good collection of high-end acoustic and electric guitars including my Taylor 614CE, probably my favourite acoustic I’ve ever owned.
      I pulled my Mann acoustic out of storage a few months ago and finally got around to tuning and playing it a few days ago and have to admit it may have a sweeter tone than the Taylor. In fact the sound is absolutely astounding. It still plays well and keeps tuned even in the varying temperatures it’s been exposed to over the last few years. Overall, an amazing instrument which will now spend significantly more time out of its case.

Anonymous

“In the 1960s Japanese guitar makers started to mainly copy American guitar designs and Ibanez branded copies of Gibson, Fender and Rickenbackermodels started to appear. This resulted in the so-called Ibanez lawsuit period. During this lawsuit period Ibanez started producing guitars under the Mann name to avoid authorities in the US and Canada.”

God I love Wikipedia

Anonymous

I have a mann strat electric it has the solid one piece neck and fretboard and natural high gloss finish it was made in japan serial #1065875 t has low action and is a beautiful playing guitar I would like to know a little about its value thanks’

Anonymous

I have a Mann acoustic that is puzzling me. From other online searches it seems the logo on the headstock is from the 80’s but the date stamped on inside looks like 1970 but I suppose it could be 79. Also the pick guard is decorative with flowers in a mother of pearl look. Any other info would be super helpful. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Can anyone suggest a valuation on this Guitar? No serial. The main issues I have with it has no stock Back plate and there is a crack running along the top between where the body joins the neck and runs back between the two pickups. The shop owner said he repaired the electronics, to get it working again. Many small dents and dings. Canada here. sry crappy cell phone pics.

http://s1273.beta.photobucket.com/user/Gazoo0/media/IMG_1245_zpsd1209b1f.jpg.html#/user/Gazoo0/media/IMG_1233_zps3c451ad3.jpg.html?&_suid=136121669871904124953590205239

Anonymous

Let me tell ya, I got a MANN Gibson Rip off Electric off a buddy of mine was thinking of trading another guitar i have for it….It constantly goes out of tune! But does Play nice. The Hardware looks cheap and i fear for anyones life as a musician that owns one. Needless to say they stoped making them for a good reason.

Anonymous

Would you be interested in selling it?

Anonymous

we just picked one up model 309. It is pretty and in great shape. with case. 209-409-2157 thanks

Anonymous

I have a MANN Les Paul Copy……. I had bought it in 1977 Brand New….. I had he same problems with it as you mentioned…. I changed the hardware after the first weak,,,, GOTOH Tuning Pegs, new bridges, dimarzio humbuckers….changed everything that came in contact with strings….. Put a new 6 hole plate for mounting neck and expoxy glued the neck to body to make it more solid……I adjusted the neck to improve string clearance and playability…… stinged it up and I have played it live ever since……I’m an old man now…and it never goes out of tune and sounds great….. After the upgrades it was still a very in-expensive Guitar as I could not afford a Gibson (new or used) at the time….I since have collected many guitars(Gibsons, fender, Peavy, Ibanez, Takamine, etc)….and I am still happy with the Mann……. IT was a great project to fix it up and got me what I wanted…. but you are right, off the shelf brand new they didn’t stay in tune because of the tuning pegs, bridge hardware and sloppy neck mounting….A little precise adjustments and hardware change and you can be playing a reliable instrument….. BNP : Let me tell ya, I got a MANN Gibson Rip off Electric off a buddy of mine was thinking of trading another guitar i have for it….It constantly goes out of tune! But does Play nice. The Hardware looks cheap and i fear for anyones life as a musician that owns one. Needless to say they stoped making them for a good reason.

Anonymous

yea i also have a mann its wood with white les paul pick-ups or what it looks like anyways its s single peice guitar and its nice strings are low toe the fretboard and its nice i got it for 50 bucks off my freind haha i ripped him off there a copy of ibanez just like epiphone is for gibson but mann is worth something opposed to crappy epiphones

Anonymous

hey, i was just wondering, is there any web site i can look at to find otu more about my guitar or get a similar 1, i have a mann electric guitar, its cherry red with a normal yellow kinda wood neck and head, with the normal wood color running down the middle of the guitar, i got this guitar from my cuzin and he hasnt played for 10 years and id like 2 know more bout it, so if anyone can help, i would love it:)

Anonymous

Mann guitars are made by Ibanez. Ibanez used the name exclusively for the Canadian Market. They are the same spec and quality…just the name change.

Anonymous

i have a mann acoustic (gibson dove copy )and its is the nicest acoustic ive ever played it is cherry red and is just beggining to die . Ive been looking for another but cant find any

Anonymous

: i have a mann acoustic (gibson dove copy )and its is the nicest acoustic ive ever played it is cherry red and is just beggining to die . Ive been looking for another but cant find any hey man i have that same guitar i’ve never seen another like it, amazing sound as far as i’m concerned, quality like gibson, give me a shout if you ever recieve this, i’d like to hear anything at all about this guitar

Anonymous

: : i have a mann acoustic (gibson dove copy )and its is the nicest acoustic ive ever played it is cherry red and is just beggining to die . Ive been looking for another but cant find any : hey man i have that same guitar i’ve never seen another like it, amazing sound as far as i’m concerned, quality like gibson, give me a shout if you ever recieve this, i’d like to hear anything at all about this guitar Hey Lads: I have that similar guitar only it’s a Gibson Humming Bird style Mann. Bought it in Brampton at Cortet Music Store, about 1970 or 1971 I believe. Red Sunburst finish. By looking at the inside of the guitar, the sidewalls,back and top are made from the same type of wood. The grain on the outside of the guitar matches the grain on the inside. The neck is made of another type of wood with double pearl inlays up the neck. (A two piece guitar) On the inside as well, is a sticker that says Craftsman Made Mann– Made in Japan–Model A-303-D American made guitars have a great name as well does Canadian made ones. But these days Japanees made guitars are getting the respect–slowly– they deserve. I would imagin these guitars are scarce. Should be a keeper. Sure has a sweet sound, strings are set very close to the fret board as well.

Anonymous

I had one of these beauties given to me from a friend of my moms. It was her father’s guitar before he passed away and it sat in her garage in a case until she moved and started to clear out cluster and asked if I’d be interested. I took her home and did what i could with it. After alot of careful cleaning and polishing it came out really nice! the sides and back especially. The spruce top shows cracks in the laquer finish but otherwise nearly mint guitar. I actually like the cracks, it shows the age of this gem! it is a model A-304 D and is a copy of the Gibson Dove. It appears to have rosewood sdes and back with a spruce top sporting a clear finish. She has an adjustable bridge, and double inlays on the fingerboard shined up nice and give it a real bold look. Last string change, a peg from the G string machine head fell right out but it was a simple fix. This guitar has an adjustable bridge, which I have bottomed out at the moment because of the tiny frets on this guitar. I’m interested to hear, are the frets on your guys’ mann’s really low? i plan on having her re-fretted. or maybe even attempting to do it mysef… once that’s been done this will be the perfect guitar. my buddies can’t believe the tone from this 40 yr old japanese no name guitar! UNBELIEVABLE tone! love it! sounds like a martin D-35 or something! anyways thats my mann. let me know though what the frets are like on yours!

Anonymous

: Mann guitars are made by Ibanez. Ibanez used the name exclusively for the Canadian Market. They are the same spec and quality…just the name change.

Anonymous

I also have a Mann guitar but I dont know anything about it. I got it at a pawn shop. All I know is that its a really good quality guitar and its strong. I’ve had mine for about ten years

Anonymous

Hey, I aslo have a MANN guitar. My dad gave it to me. He used to play it.It looks alot like a gibson SG. I’ ve been doing some "looking-around" but found a dead end. I agree with Trevor (post up) that MANN guitars are a good quality and great to play!

Anonymous

i have a mann

Anonymous

Mann WAS a company that made very good reproductions of brand name guitars.Ihave had many in my 26 years of playing , I currently have a SG-replica with replicated Bigsby .It sounds and looks like the real McCoy only a lot cheaper.

Anonymous

: I bet you’d find it pretty weird for me to be so interested in guitars, being ten years old. Just wondering; my uncle has a black guitar that he guesses was made in around 1970. It is made by Mann Guitars in Japan. I had never heard of them, so I checked the most extensive guitar daabases. The name "Mann Guitars" did not show up on any. I did however find "Manne Guitars" in Italy. Does Mann Guitars even exist any more, or did they change their name or something? : Let me know : Thanx

Anonymous

I just inherited my dad’s MANN A-303 ser#40830 (so close to yours) He bought it in ’73 and played it often for the last 40 years and it still sounds great. I’m gonna have it fixed up as the action is high but the sound is amazing.

Anonymous

they stoped making them ten years ago

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.