Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics anyone know what a guild D25 is like from the mid 1970s?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

there is a Guild D25 from the mid 1970s up on ebay.com going for 50 bucks, are they worth it?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I got mine from a pawn shop about 20 years ago . and have played it in blue grass bands and was told by several players with martins that it sounds as good as their 4000 dollar martin. it was made in 1978 and they put a spruce top on them around that time before the guitar was solid Mahogany. i just looked on ebay and one like mine is not selling for 350 more like 1800. that don’t mean they will sell but that is the asking price. and some are even higher in price than that.
      i have a gibson I play most of the time because of its smaller body. it don’t sound better it actually dont sound as good . I cant see me selling the Guild and it doesn’t really mater what it is worth to me . the price don’t make the guitar sound better .
      I am amazed at how good it sounds considering the spruce top is not a top grade but I guess there is something about aged wood and a guitar that has been played a lot.
      all the inlay and gold keys has nothing to do with making it sound better. I guess one thnig I did that helped it reach that sound was installed Bone nut .

Anonymous

: there is a Guild D25 from the mid 1970s up on ebay.com going for $350 bucks, are they worth it? I have a 1971 D25 and absolutely love it. These guitars are cheap because no one really knows how great they sound and play. Be careful, though… they are all different depending upon where and when they were made. In ’74 I think they started using the arch back (mine is flat) and they got heavier/lighter depending upon the year. I’ve played several Guild D25’s and have loved them all. Mine has such a mellow, full sound. I’d pay up to $800 for it…but you don’t have to.

Anonymous

: there is a Guild D25 from the mid 1970s up on ebay.com going for $350 bucks, are they worth it? This is a truly "one-of-a-kind" instrument. I’ve got a 1980 model and I would NEVER part with it. It plays great, sounds fantatsic. Harmonics and overtones are always there at soft, medium, or hard playing. It’s always in tune. It has an arched back, like a violin, with no braces. Mine is now 23 years old and the neck angle is perfect still. I’ve have yet to play an instrument that pleased me to play and hear as much as this one. This was a mid to low end instrument for Guild. No frills like pearl inlays in the headstock, bound fingerboard, etc. but it is a very solid, quality instrument. In 1980, this guitar retailed for about $500.00 U.S. Aged and treated decently, it is still worth well over the $350.00 being asked. I have played Martins, Gibsons, etc. but have never been as pleased with their feel or sound.

Anonymous

:I compleely agree with your assessment of the Guild 1980 D25. My wife walked me into a quitar shop in LA in 1980 on my birthday and said pick one you like. I must have played about 20-25 different acoustics and this one Black Guild D25 simply sang over the rest. The tone of the one quitar simply was and still is beuatiful. I hit the bass E string and the tone of that note sustained for over 2 minutes. So beatiful. This IS a special instument that goes unnoticed by other. If you can get a hold of one, grab it. You will never be disappointed.

Anonymous

: there is a Guild D25 from the mid 1970s up on ebay.com going for $350 bucks, are they worth it? Absoufriggin loutely. I’ve had a D25 (from about 1978 and it is still the perfect guitar. Always in tune and beautiful look and sound. If it in nice shape – it’s worth much more.

Anonymous

: there is a Guild D25 from the mid 1970s up on ebay.com going for $350 bucks, are they worth it? A brand new one lists for $1200 — they can be had for $850-$900. The older ones can be more expensive if in perfect condition. But on ebay … who knows?

Anonymous

Personally, I would never buy a guitar new or used without playing it and checking it out first, but the D-25 is (was)a lower price solid top guitar. $ 350 sounds reasonable, but does it play like shit ? Sound like shit ? You’ll never know till it shows up. (hopefully in one piece) Good luck.

Anonymous

i bought mine new in 1978. i paid $500. i still have it. i quit playing it for about 15 years and it sat in its case. i took it up again and i still love it. sounds and plays great. but i agree with the comment about buying sight unseen.

Anonymous

even on ebay, if its cheap enough.. i pasted a broken neck back onto one of these after someone ‘tripped’ over it.. still sounds awesome, sustain, intonation, all good.. beat up and it just sounds better and better

Anonymous

: Personally, I would never buy a guitar new or used without playing it and checking it out first, but the D-25 is (was)a lower price solid top guitar. $ 350 sounds reasonable, but does it play like shit ? Sound like shit ? You’ll never know till it shows up. (hopefully in one piece) Good luck. comment from: Jerry Owen: The preceding testamonial was a pessimist, but many times pessimists are right. I have found on the average that most of these instruments play well. a 30 year old in good shape with good hard case is probabaly worth on average between 500 to 700 bucks. Jerry Owen, Mississippi redneck

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.