Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics “Gibson J-160E Custom”

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I am trying to find out more about my Guitar. I have had it for many years. It was passed down from a family member. Just recently have I became curious. I have looked everywhere on the net, but haven’t come across this particular Gibson.
    It has a label inside the sound hole that says: "GIBSON MODEL J-160E CUSTOM" "MADE IN KALAMAZOO, MICHIGAN". The serial # is stamped into the back of the head (# A014xxx). It has Square Shoulders, Chrome Grover Keys with the ’round’ gear boxes. It has a kind of a burnt-redish sunburst on the front, almost a ‘walnut looking grain on the back, with one black indented stripe about 1/8" wide going down the back. Sides look to be walnut also. It has plastic volume and tone knobs. I Have read it may be called the "Lennon" Gibson, But I still can’t identify it.
    If anybody out there could give me some help on this, I’d sure appreciate knowing more about my instrument. I plan on keeping it forever, so I am not interested in selling. I just thought the more I knew about it, the more I could appreciate what I have.
    Thanks……….Patrick

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

*****THIS EMAIL*******i was givin a guitar….is a mid size acoustic….nothing on the outside….label inside reads…."STYLE:C-CLASSIC, GIBSON: GUITAR, NUMBER: R-7211-30….GIBSON INC. KALAMAZOO MICH U.S.A…….the model field is written in some santa claus lookin sh*t…..came from my 95 year old grandpa……in original case…..very basic, plain acoustic…..very wierd….do i have a collectable?…ples email me back

Anonymous

i was givin a guitar….is a mid size acoustic….nothing on the outside….label inside reads…."STYLE:C-CLASSIC, GIBSON: GUITAR, NUMBER: R-7211-30….GIBSON INC. KALAMAZOO MICH U.S.A…….the model field is written in some santa claus lookin sh*t…..came from my 95 year old grandpa……in original case…..very basic, plain acoustic…..very wierd….do i have a collectable?…ples email me back

Anonymous

: I am trying to find out more about my Guitar. I have had it for many years. It was passed down from a family member. Just recently have I became curious. I have looked everywhere on the net, but haven’t come across this particular Gibson. : It has a label inside the sound hole that says: "GIBSON MODEL J-160E CUSTOM" "MADE IN KALAMAZOO, MICHIGAN". The serial # is stamped into the back of the head (# A014xxx). It has Square Shoulders, Chrome Grover Keys with the ’round’ gear boxes. It has a kind of a burnt-redish sunburst on the front, almost a ‘walnut looking grain on the back, with one black indented stripe about 1/8" wide going down the back. Sides look to be walnut also. It has plastic volume and tone knobs. I Have read it may be called the "Lennon" Gibson, But I still can’t identify it. : If anybody out there could give me some help on this, I’d sure appreciate knowing more about my instrument. I plan on keeping it forever, so I am not interested in selling. I just thought the more I knew about it, the more I could appreciate what I have. : Thanks……….Patrick : : Patrick, I too havethe same guitar and have no idea what its all about. Compared to the standard J160, the bridge is backwards, and the pickguard is different, too. It plays like a dream and sounds great. The serial number on mine indicates it was made in 1972. If you have learned more I’d like to know. Jack

Anonymous

I have J-160E custom that appears to have an ebony fingerboard. Could this be what makes it a "custom"?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.