Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Westbury Guitars

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I have a Westbury model 5020 12 string acoustic/electric.I would like to find out anything I can about it.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I bought one of these at a music store on my delivery route. Saw it on the shelf and had to have it. Have religiously kept it in the original hardshell case and it’s in pretty good shape. The only mistake I made was loaning it to my sister who kept it in a closet strung 2 whole notes higher than standard for 2 years, which resulted in dips in the spruce top on either side of the soundhole. Don’t know if this can be fixed, but hasn’t hurt the playability or the intonation of it. It always draws second and third looks from anyone who sees it. Love to play it!

Anonymous

I was in a pawn shop picking and playing different guitars for fun and I picked up a westbury. Never had heard of it, when I played it I told the guy wow the harmonics on this are perfect, I thought this had to be a expensive guitar. Any cord stummed all over the neck was in perfect pitch and tune. I Noticed the body was solid no bolt on neck. I asked the owner, when are you going to get a guitar that plays like this one for $100. I was joking, he said there ya go buy that one. So I could not pull out my money fast enough. I have played this guitar in in five bands in the last 25 years and to this day don’t fancy any other. Well maybe a strat one day just for show!
      Update – I was at the swap shop and a vendor had a table with several acoustic guitars, all kinds and I opened a case and there is was OMG a westbury 12 string. In MINT condition with original hard shell case. Apparently a recording studio owner passed away and this Dude was selling all his guitars. Nice ones! I bought it and it plays outstanding. I play is every day. I did the little haggle dance and got it for $150.

You see what is cool is, not every one perceives the value of things when they do not know. These are mass produced them like Fender or gibson to be well known because the factory burned down and there is not as many out there. but these are solid guitars and if your more interested in how a instrument plays verse it commercial saturation, you might get a epic deal on one. if you lucky enough to find one like I have been – This 12 string. I FREAKIN LOVE IT. Tone and playing comfort outstanding,

Anonymous

Westbury Guitars will be manufacturing new guitars sometime in 2016. westburyguitars.com should be up and running sometime in April 2016. Look for it.

Anonymous

: I have a Westbury model 5020 12 string acoustic/electric.I would like to find out anything I can about it. I could tell you that it was probably made in japan at the Matsumoku guitar factory. It’s a 12 string,,,right? The early 5020’s were made in Westbury NY. There will be a site out in a few weeks. Look for http://www.westburyguitars.com They sold for about $365.00 when they were new and they pretty much hold there value. Usually not much more.

Anonymous

I also have a Westbury W5020 12-string acoustic… which I added a pickup to back in the 80’s. Odd how we both would be researching the history on the same day. As best as I can figure, there are about 2 of these… and you and me got ’em. I had mine in the shop today (first time in 20+ years). It seems I have finally wore the fretes off the poor thing and I’m looking at about $250 to have those replaced, etc. But well worth it… these are rare and extremely sweet guitars. As to the history… its rather complicated. Westbury was a line made by Univox with these gutairs being made by the Makamoto(sp?) guitar factory in Japan… a respectable shop until it burnt down in the 1980s. The ‘Westburys’ were produced from around 1978 to 1982… very good quality acoustics and some highly prized electrics based on the Les Paul design. I’m not likely to get back this way soon. I’d appreciate any follow ups be directed to my email address. I’d love to hear more from anyone interested.

Anonymous

Hi! I’ve just bought a Westbury guitar from a local junk shop.I live in Newport,United Kingdom,and collect guitars.This Westbury is a vaguely SG shaped solid,and is a Standard.It has one white single coil pickup at the neck,and a black humbucker,that looks like a DiMarzio,at the bridge.I’ve looked at the Westbury website,and yhe guitar has the correct logo on the headstock.2 volume controls,and 2 tone,in the usual SG position,and a pickup selector.The middle position of the selector gives an unusual honky sound,and I’m not sure if its coil tapping the humbusker,or combining the two pickups.Its a nice guitar,with a great rock sound,and I’d like an idea how much its worth.E-mail me if you wish.Regards,David Williams

Anonymous

: Hi! I’ve just bought a Westbury guitar from a local junk shop.I live in Newport,United Kingdom,and collect guitars.This Westbury is a vaguely SG shaped solid,and is a Standard.It has one white single coil pickup at the neck,and a black humbucker,that looks like a DiMarzio,at the bridge.I’ve looked at the Westbury website,and yhe guitar has the correct logo on the headstock.2 volume controls,and 2 tone,in the usual SG position,and a pickup selector.The middle position of the selector gives an unusual honky sound,and I’m not sure if its coil tapping the humbusker,or combining the two pickups.Its a nice guitar,with a great rock sound,and I’d like an idea how much its worth.E-mail me if you wish.Regards,David Williams

Anonymous

: : Hi! I’ve just bought a Westbury guitar from a local junk shop.I live in Newport,United Kingdom,and collect guitars.This Westbury is a vaguely SG shaped solid,and is a Standard.It has one white single coil pickup at the neck,and a black humbucker,that looks like a DiMarzio,at the bridge.I’ve looked at the Westbury website,and yhe guitar has the correct logo on the headstock.2 volume controls,and 2 tone,in the usual SG position,and a pickup selector.The middle position of the selector gives an unusual honky sound,and I’m not sure if its coil tapping the humbusker,or combining the two pickups.Its a nice guitar,with a great rock sound,and I’d like an idea how much its worth.E-mail me if you wish.Regards,David Williams Seems like a late 70s early 80s Standard. The value is difficult to say but at least around € 400 I would say, sometimes they go for more in ebay, depending on the condition. They were usually equipped with DiMarzio Super Distortions and Westbury branded Schaller m/c heads. They are also made of solid mahagony with a glued neck. Nice guitar, keep it well ! Thomas from Germany

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.