Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Help me! My fast picking sucks after 15 years of guitar playing!

• This topic has 16 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 20 years ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Does anyone has some piece of advice. I play for about 15 years, and I’m always into many diverse styles. I’m not into the metal thing but I have students that do – and I’d like to be able to do something with this style. But I don’t know what problem I must have. I practice and practice but always I have, mainly, my G string ringing over when I’m fast playing my B and E (the first) strings. I try to mute and I can get to mute all strings but the G string, and when I can do it my picking decreases from speed and acuracy! Please, give me some hints! Thanks!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

: Does anyone has some piece of advice. I play for about 15 years, and I’m always into many diverse styles. I’m not into the metal thing but I have students that do – and I’d like to be able to do something with this style. But I don’t know what problem I must have. I practice and practice but always I have, mainly, my G string ringing over when I’m fast playing my B and E (the first) strings. I try to mute and I can get to mute all strings but the G string, and when I can do it my picking decreases from speed and acuracy! Please, give me some hints! Thanks!

Anonymous

: Paul Gilbert gave a lesson on how to pick and he said practice by holdind your wrist -make a fist and rock it up and down as fast as you can. This will build muscle and increase your picking speed. It’s what I’ve started doing and i can feel a difference already. And my hand is becoming more relaxed. WHICH is the key to fast picking. also a metranome to help you strive a little harder. DONT GIVE UP .

Anonymous

: : Paul Gilbert gave a lesson on how to pick and he said practice by holdind your wrist -make a fist and rock it up and down as fast as you can. This will build muscle and increase your picking speed. It’s what I’ve started doing and I can feel a difference already. And my hand is becoming more relaxed. WHICH, is the key to fast picking. A metranome helps you strive a little harder. DONT GIVE UP . YOUR NOT ALONE.

Anonymous

Stop sweeping. Start crosspicking. Try playing Steve Morse’s Tumeni Notes like he does. — up stroke/down stroke — NOT SWEEPING — Try a LOT, and you’ll get the hang of it. You won’t have to mute anything. You just won’t hit anything but what you want. Hey, this is just the way i do. I’m not saying its the only way; I’m not saying its the best way. It’s just what worked better for me when I was goin’ thru that kinda problem.

Anonymous

Don’t feel bad Marcel……I’ve been playing 40 years and I can’t pick for shit. 12 year old kids playing 6 months can outpick me…..

Anonymous

first things first, check your action. if your strings are too high then the strings will ring when you release. its realy a matter of doing what feels best, and i have always felt that if shit is starting to go wrong with yout technique, pull out the acoustic and try there. My was of not hitting the strings is if i hear a string ringing, ill tend to mute it actualy using either my left hand, of just brush it with the pick. Do what feels best though, try playing the riffs slowly.

Anonymous

Here’s the trick – don’t jump the gun!! Learn to play the piece slow, then gradually work up to the actual speed. If you can, playback the piece at half speed and learn to play to it. Then, when you’ve got your fingering right, play it at full speed and it will be a whole lot easier. HR

Anonymous

forget all that crap- …just concentrate more on your picking … period. find your own way to play clean and fast… or whatever. i use a smaller size pick than standard (heavy guage)- this helps a little

Anonymous

i would suggest playing each string as fast as you can but dont hit any other string ,if you concentrate more on not hitting strings not played and less time trying to mute strings.sometimes muting is not the best route. ODIUM666

Anonymous

well, always try to keep the fat part of your hand on the lower strings that you are not playing – i.e. G string. more than likely you are accidentaly picking that string causing it to ring. next time you pick, see if you are doing this.

Anonymous

Practice slowly, strict down/up strokes to a metronome. Mute the strings either with the palm of your picking hand or your fingering hand can mute the strings as well. Hold the pick at an angle to the strings, not perpendicular to the them. If the pick is at an angle, the curve of the pick will more easily glide over the strings. Hold the pick near the tip also. I hold the pick at the small end and the wide end strikes the strings at an angle. It acts as a ramp to help cross over the strings. Also you can pick the strings by playing on the neck itself. This increases speed because the pick can’t go too deep between the strings because the fingerboard stops the pick from going to deep. Try using a light gauge pick to start, then try a heavy gauge pick. THe heavy gauge pick does not bend as you strike the strings, therefore it does not travel as far as a thinner pick. Rotate the hand from the wrist as you rest the wrist on the strings for support, this will also help to mute strings. Or you can use circle picking. Move the pick only from the first joint of the thumb and forefinger. THe movement resembles and feels like you are writing with a pen. See if this helps.

Anonymous

Practice slowly, strict down/up strokes to a metronome. Mute the strings either with the palm of your picking hand or your fingering hand can mute the strings as well. Hold the pick at an angle to the strings, not perpendicular to the them. If the pick is at an angle, the curve of the pick will more easily glide over the strings. Hold the pick near the tip also. I hold the pick at the small end and the wide end strikes the strings at an angle. It acts as a ramp to help cross over the strings. Also you can pick the strings by playing on the neck itself. This increases speed because the pick can’t go too deep between the strings because the fingerboard stops the pick from going to deep. Try using a light gauge pick to start, then try a heavy gauge pick. THe heavy gauge pick does not bend as you strike the strings, therefore it does not travel as far as a thinner pick. Rotate the hand from the wrist as you rest the wrist on the strings for support, this will also help to mute strings. Or you can use circle picking. Move the pick only from the first joint of the thumb and forefinger. THe movement resembles and feels like you are writing with a pen. See if this helps.

Anonymous

play blink 182 songs

Anonymous

maybe just quit

Anonymous

All these guys that say they do no exercises: Bullshit! What is required to build up speed is to "work out" with a metronome. The metronome is as essential as the guitar! One shouldnt go without another! I can play like lightning out of time(as fast as Malmsteen) but the problem arises when I must stay in time. That is why I am not a professional musician earning money at this thing yet. But I practice everyday no matter how I feel, I do it. I always work on something. That way my subconscious can work on the tempo when I am done. And the next day I practice again to that damn metronome. It is hard because the metronome doesnt lie and you know if you went to fast and your hands cramp up for the next run. I notice that if I play ahead of the beat and then try to line up again with the beat that my hands cramp up so ever slightly which gets me out of time. The key is that I am going to nail this down until I get in time. Zach Hoban

Anonymous

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.