Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Extracting blushings on Fender Mustang/Jaguar/Jazzmaster?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I’m refinishing my 71 Mustang after the last owner painted it with yacht vanish. I’ve taken the out the electronics and detached the neck, bridge and tremelo. What’s left are the two little metal cups that push into the body of the guitar that the bridge legs go into. Does anyone know how to remove these?

Related Article:
    Fender Multi-Effects Pedal

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I don’t know ‘correct’ way to remove them (bridge thimbles) I have found it’s usually brute force, but if they have an internal thread (which I don’t think yours do) you put a screw in em and pull them out, if they don’t I use a reamer and twist em out, but this usually damages them (but they are cheap), also sometimes heating them helps… just put a soldering iron in the hole for a bit. Another way to go is just leave them in and hand sand right up to them and mask em off when spraying, and on a stang the bridge hardware covers them anyway… also blushing is a problem if lacquer drys too quickly, to eliminate blushing add two or three caps full of lacquer retarder per half pint of reduced acrylic lacquer (about the amount needed for a Fender body) this gives you better control of your solvents, and ultimately, better results… well good luck and post a pic when you are done.

Anonymous

The soldering iron trick worked a treat, although it left me with mangled bushings. Where is the best place to go for new ones? Thanks for the advice GT. Matt

Anonymous

Check out musicparts.com, there were some stang ones there for about $7, if they are out search using ‘bridge thimble’… glad you got em out now you are into the good parts of refinishing. : The soldering iron trick worked a treat, although it left me with mangled bushings. Where is the best place to go for new ones? : Thanks for the advice GT. : Matt

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.