SOVTEK AMPS, ARE THEY ANY GOOD ?

Posted by Tom on Thu, 03/14/02 - 02:20:44.
Advertisement

Any help much appreciated

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: SOVTEK AMPS, ARE THEY ANY GOOD ?

They are fine, and great 'project' amps... what do you wish to know/need ???

: Any help much appreciated

have they got enough gain for rock, and are they reliable ?. cheers. tom

: have they got enough gain for rock, and are they reliable ?. cheers. tom

Yes on both accounts, they are built like tanks and they do have a mean growl (marshall-esqe)The only bitch I have about them is that they are pretty stripped down, you don't get cool features like channel switching and (reverb) would be nice. But who needs all that bullshit, when you are ripping the paint off the walls? right?

Gain wise, the Sovtek Tube Midget 50H is MORE than ample in producing heavily distorted gain; after all, these amps are modeled almost purely after the older Marshall amps (which, in turn, used to be modeled after the Fender Bassman with heavily modified gain stages). If you're after gain, this amp is as good and in many cases better than a Marshall of any sort. Reliability they are indeed built like tanks... the transformers are HUGE and weight about 10lbs each. The chassis is anchored into the solid wood cabinet of the head via 4 #3 phillips bolted directly through the cabinet and into the chassis. All the components inside are well soldered and made to last. The only gripe I would have on construction is the plastic input jacks. Although they may indeed BE sturdy, they just seem a little cheap and liable to break after a few rough plug-ins and -outs.

I play in a Dallas rock band and my setup consists of 2 sovtek mig 50s with master volume. let me say that Sovteks are awesome, they have vintage tone with their own flair to it....and they're cheap price wise....awesome amps, they're worth it man, and they're solid as a rock

Re: SOVTEK AMPS,?where can I get one

where can i buy a sovtek head 100 watts thanks Ben.

: They are fine, and great 'project' amps... what do you wish to know/need ???

:
: : Any help much appreciated

I HAVE A SOVTEK AMP. I ABOLUTELY LOVE IT. I TUBE IT FOR HARMONICA, BUT LATELY I'VE BEEN THINKING I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE SOME CHANGES TO THE AMP ITSELF TO MAKE IT A REAL HARP AMP. YOU KNOW CAPS , RESISTORS, MAYBE CHANGE THE PLATE VOLTAGE IF POSSIBLE. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE IO SHOULD START, OR LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.