Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Audition Semi Acoustic Guitar

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I have recently purchased a 1960’s semi acoustic guitar with the name Audition on the headstock. Is anyone able to tell me more about the company etc. I thought that i had read somewhere that Audition was one of the names used by Harmony guitars?

The guitar body is small and approx one an half inches thick (thinner than a 335) and completely hollow with no strengthining section under the bridge and pich-ups (like a 335). The body is sunburst and fitted with two sigle coil pick-ups, very much like the type on 60’s Framus guitars, with an adjustable bridge and Bigsby style tremelo unit.

The only identifiaction onthe guitar is the Audition sticker onthe headstock and a serila number of 7003 on the neck plate.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Gary

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Here in Australia, Audition were sold through KMart stores. My first guitar I ever bought was an Audition semi acoustic that, back in 1982, cost me a grand total of $55. I later bought an Audition 10w amp for about the same price. Those were the days!

Anonymous

Hi! I am the President and CEO of the Stevie Ray Vaughan Rememberance Ride and Concert. We are currently entering our 23 yr of our annual event and have exciting news! Our event has previously only been held in Dallas Tx, this year however it will be held in Austin Tx.

The event was created by Martha Vaughan, ( Stevie and Jimmie’s mother). 100% of the proceeds from our event go to the Stevie Ray Vaughan Memorial Scholarship Fund which benefits students at Greiner Middle School in Oak Cliff Tx (Stevie and Jimmie’s hometown). If all goes well with this move we hope to add a local Austin school as well.

In previous years places like Hooters, Charlies Guitar Shop, East Texas Choppers,Dallas Harley Davidson, and Hard Rock Cafe have sponsored the event.This year we have KLBJ, Peace Pipe and Fullerton Collision. I would love to have your company as a sponsor as I think it would be a good fit. Please feel free to contact me for any further information via email, text, or by phone.

We also offer vendor space at our event which can be rented, or if you become a sponsor it is included in the sponsorship package.

Thank you T Barksdale

[email protected]

520-272-4793

The sponsorship packages are:

Sponsorship levels are from $500-$10k

The top sponsor being the presenting sponsor. KLBJ is already on board and will be advertising leading up to the event and BDOE will be doing a live feed.

$10k is presenting sponsor. All Radio, print media, social media, wwbsite, logo on event merchandise, banners at venue, onstage mention, VIP tickets and vendor booth at both pre party and main event.

$5k is all print media, logo on event merchandise, social media, website, banners at event, onstage mention, VIP tickets, vendor booth at pre party and main event.

$2500 is all print media, logo on event merchandise, social media, website, onstage mention, comp tickets, vendor booth at pre party and main event.

$500 is all print media, social media, website, comp tickets and vendor booth at one of the events.

If you only want to do a vendor booth its $150 for just pre-party, $200 for main event, or $300 for both..

All sponsorship fees are due by June 1st

That said I am doing an auction at the even and am auctioning off authentic blues memorabilia so any donation would also be appreciated. Let me know as I would appreciate all the help I can get. Moving this here this year has been a challenge but I think it is going to work out well. Thanks T

for more information about the event please check out our website at:

srvrideandconcert.org

Anonymous

I recently found an Audition acoustic guitar in an old house that hadn’t been outta the original vinyl case in many years. The homeowner gave it to me fo free!!! She told me it was a Christmas gift for her brother when he was about 10 (he is 51 or 52 now). He told me he only played with it once or twice. I pulled the old vinyl bag off of it and low and behold I own a brand new guitar. It has very cheap back and sides on it but the soundboard is solid spruce with ebony bridge, bone saddle and nut. Hell I’m guessing probably the original strings!!! Anyway from what I’ve found the guitar was imported and marketed in the U.S. by woolco for Woolworth stores and Sears. they were discontinued in 1969 in the U.S. They were manufactured in Japan by Tiesko somewhere round 1959 or early 1960 and renamed Tiesko Del Rey after 1964. There is a well researched article on Wikipedia listed as simply as Tiesko. I have restrung mine with Martin medium’s and it sounds great and stays in tune very well for a 50+ year old instrument. I have also found some old Tiesko and Woolworth catalogs online but didn’t find the information very useful because most of it was incomplete. Trying to learn more, any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

I picked up an audition acoustic for $5 at a garage sale recently, no strings, broken machine heads, broken bridge no saddle. It was in reasonable condition with some chips and scratches. I thought I could easily replace the broken bits and was able to without much expense (about $20 AUD). The guitar was a Woolworth, I could tell by the impression the sound hole sticker had left even though it was missing, I could make out the fade on the wood. Some things of interest about the design and construction of the guitar. The neck back and sides are cheap ply, it looks like pine, fretboard looks like painted rosewood. The soundboard is solid spruce, the original bridge although broken and needing replacement was ebony the nut was bone, the scratch plate is screwed in and has a nice floral design. So you have in this guitar a mix and match of cheap and expensive components. The bridge was not glued on but bolted/screwed on with the bolt heads hidden within the layers of wood in the bridge. The neck was straight probably owing to the absence of strings and the steel reinforced neck, that basically means it has a truss rod that is not adjustable. I replaced the bridge with a rosewood classical guitar one bought online for cheap. I drilled holes through it and bolted it on as was the original broken ebony one. Gave it a bone saddle new machine heads and most importantly a set of pure copper strings, all available online for cheap. I purchased a cheap HDE soundhole pickup online which is a Chinese imitation of a Dynasonic. It sounds great un-amped but excells amped as a slide guitar. Reminds me of the amped Stella Harmony played by Diesel. A great cheap knock around acoustic that sounds and plays great.

Anonymous

My audition acoustic says has a sticker on it aging it’s made in taiwan

Anonymous

I know about these guitars I bought a sunburst solid body audition in 1971 from woolworths!! Woolworths I think had sole importing rights from japan. I considered buying the semi, which was listed at £35. I also bought a mini practice stack amp, again from woolworths, labelled audition. guitar was crap, with awful machine heads, rubbish cheapo pickups. the semi was pretty and could by todays standards be upgraded. Imagine Woolworth stocking guitars and amps!!

Anonymous

I also have an Audition guitar. My father got it for me second hand when I was 11. I’m 20 now! The design is quite unusual, but sounds similiar to the one described by Gary. It’s a semi acoustic. The body shape is like a cross between a Gibson ES-335 and an SG. It’s sunburst in colour, has two single coil pick ups and an old bigsby style tremelo arm. It originally came with an Audition amp, cable and a white leather Audition case. I was forced to throw the amp away when it stopped working shortly after but the guitar, lead and case are in almost mint condition! Any more information I find on it I will forward A.S.A.P! Would appreciate any leads! Thanks, Matt.

Anonymous

I have recently purchased a 1960’s semi acoustic guitar with the name ‘Audition’ on the headstock. Is anyone able to tell me more about the company etc. I thought that i had read somewhere that ‘Audition’ was one of the names used by Harmony guitars? : The guitar body is small and approx one an half inches thick (thinner than a 335) and completely hollow with no strengthening section under the bridge and pick-ups (like a 335). The body is sunburst and fitted with two single coil pick-ups, very much like the type on 60’s Framus guitars, with an adjustable bridge and Bigsby style tremelo unit. The only identifiaction on the guitar is the ‘Audition’ sticker on the headstock and a serial number of 7003 on the neck plate. Any information would be gratefully received. Many Thanks Gary

Anonymous

I have just been reunited with my Audition semi and am in the process of restoring some of the parts. The pickups appear to have sustained some damage (age probably). What would be good replecements trying to keep as close to the original as possible. Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Audition Guitars were sold through Woolworths/Woolco stores in the 60s and 70s. I don’t know who made them.

Anonymous

: Audition Guitars were sold through Woolworths/Woolco stores in the 60s and 70s. I don’t know who made them. does any one know how much they are worth today. thy have good sound and look fabulous. i got one at the auction for £12

Anonymous

There’s an Audition semi-acoustic on ebay at the moment. Does it look anything like that? Looks nice… : I have recently purchased a 1960’s semi acoustic guitar with the name ‘Audition’ on the headstock. Is anyone able to tell me more about the company etc. I thought that i had read somewhere that ‘Audition’ was one of the names used by Harmony guitars? : : The guitar body is small and approx one an half inches thick (thinner than a 335) and completely hollow with no strengthening section under the bridge and pick-ups (like a 335). The body is sunburst and fitted with two single coil pick-ups, very much like the type on 60’s Framus guitars, with an adjustable bridge and Bigsby style tremelo unit. : The only identifiaction on the guitar is the ‘Audition’ sticker on the headstock and a serial number of 7003 on the neck plate. : Any information would be gratefully received. : Many Thanks : Gary

Anonymous

hi everyone. sorry to be the bringer of bad news but I have done a bit of research in to audition. I have found that they were made in Japan in the 1970s which makes what I previously said wrong. They were a very cheap manufacturer so much so that you could have bought one from woolworths for about £50. However I have recently found one not unlike mine for £400. I have also found that they made some quite unusual designs. So folks I am really sorry to tell you this but it has to be said. Jamesd

Anonymous

hi i have just bought an audition guitar. Its nothing like i have seen before. The body is like a mixture between a strat and a jaguar and is really unusual since it has an extended butt and two single coil meaty pickups the headstock is oversized and contains the name AUDITION. Its in good condition considering it is 40 years old and the sound is perfect. I have absolutly no idea about the company audition but I have heard that the could be a lower market range of the ovation but im not sure. I dont care cuz I bought it for £75.

Anonymous

Well done! You’ve just bought yourself a Teisco. They were imported into UK and renamed Audition. My first electric was also an Audition. They were sold in Woolworths. Check out this site http://www.teiscotwangers.com/ speak soon Merlin

Anonymous

I had one of these. Twin pick-ups, Tremolo arm. Nice frets (low action etc). Loved it. Sold to buy a motorbike, miss it +++++++++.

Anonymous

I had one of these. Twin pick-ups, Tremolo arm. Nice frets (low action etc). Loved it. Sold to buy a motorbike, miss it +++++++++.

Anonymous

: I have recently purchased a 1960’s semi acoustic guitar with the name ‘Audition’ on the headstock. Is anyone able to tell me more about the company etc. I thought that i had read somewhere that ‘Audition’ was one of the names used by Harmony guitars? : : The guitar body is small and approx one an half inches thick (thinner than a 335) and completely hollow with no strengthening section under the bridge and pick-ups (like a 335). The body is sunburst and fitted with two single coil pick-ups, very much like the type on 60’s Framus guitars, with an adjustable bridge and Bigsby style tremelo unit. : The only identifiaction on the guitar is the ‘Audition’ sticker on the headstock and a serial number of 7003 on the neck plate. : Any information would be gratefully received. Audition guitars were Japanese-made and the "house" brand for Woolworth/Woolco stores. I had a solid body electric with an Audition amp. The "set" came at a very low cost. The guitar had high action and was impossible to play. The amp was better but not powerful–I used it for many years because it distorted at low volume. These things occassionally come up on Ebay and don’t fetch much. Wolf :

Anonymous

: :Well wolf, should you still have this guitar, I strongly suggest keeping it if it’s from 1960. : :I have an Audition Beatle edition bass myself, and once I replaced the wireing and gave it the best strings I could afford, it sounded incredible. : :Audition amps sucked

Anonymous

Hi mate i have a 1960’s Audition guitar ( not electric ) i am willing to sell it. If your interested please call me on 0424 024 675 or email me. I am located in sydney. Thanks Mark. I only messaged you because i have read how much you like them. I have no use for it cheers Mark.

Anonymous

I own a 1960’s audition electric guitar colour sunburst red, and do not know too much about it myself and would be interested in any info you receive thank you if you wouldnt mind passing it on. many thanks

Anonymous

I have a 1960s Audition bass too, from my Dad’s attic. It isn’t a violin bass like McCartney’s but I recognise the pickup as a Hofner staple, so definitely from the same era. It’s a short scale, the string tension on the E string isn’t great, sounds muddy, so I probably need to give it new strings too, but the sound from the other 3 strings is good. It’s a nice jazz bass. I think I read somewhere that these guitars are variable, some being awful others not, so perhaps my Dad picked a good’un, but the build seems OK, the winders work, there is a zero fret which I appreciate, and the pick-up is the distinctive Hofner thing!

Anonymous

I have an electric one i want info please

Anonymous

Well, all the info I have is that Audition guitars were produced in Japan. I have an Audition solidbody electric, and am trying to find out all I can. (which ain’t much!) Will get back with more as I find it…

Anonymous

i have recently aquired a audition telecaster shaped guitar it has a black sunburst a riser bar bridge setup and to single coil pickups

Anonymous

I have an Audition nylon-string acoustic that sounds fabulous. While the back & neck are of cheap materials, the top (where it counts) is a nice piece of spruce & the overall construction beats a lot of things you see these days. At $15 back in the 60s or 70s it was probably the best value I ever got.

Anonymous

I have an ‘Audition’ 60’s solidbody electric, and all I know is that there a japanese based guitar, but if you get any more information could you contact me also.

Anonymous

Audition was a brand of Japanese guitar manufacturers Teisco. Their worth is anywhere from 169.00 to 239.00 dollars. I had one in the seventies.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.