Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Tama Guitar?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Early ’70s model Tama Acoustic. Solid blond w/ abalonie inlay on all edges and on key frets Model #3560, SN 4800108. : Bought new, in great shape and sounds fantastic. Played very little. Does anyone know the value?

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

The Tama TG series are such beautiful guitars… l have a TG 80 bought in Tasmania in ‘79 at the age of 16… it was love at first sight. What superb construction, materials and finish. I also have a very nice TK 50 – also gorgeous, but not quite AS gorgeous! Would never sell ‘em.

Anonymous

I have an immaculate 1978 TC 10. She plays beautifully, and I have the original case with the plush blue interior. If anyone is interested, shoot me an email @ [email protected] Internet

Anonymous

Hi Wayne,
      If this TG-160 is still available, do you have a price in mind? Tama also offered a TG-190 in extremely limited quantities.
      Best
      LH

Anonymous

I bought this beautiful Tama guitar 50 years ago.
      The TG 160, I believe it is the flagship model.
      Premium woods and terrific sound
      There is some slight scratching around the hole where amplification device was used but otherwise in perfect condition.
      It has been part of my life all this time but now time for some lucky person to be the new owner
      Please contact me if you are interested

Regards
      Wayne

Anonymous

I bought my Tama TC10 in 1978 in Sydney Australia. It is still played almost daily. No faults have emerged as suggested by a post. I am always asked what it is by other classical Guitarists such is the quality of the sound and sustain.
      I also own a Ramirez guitar and swap between instruments depending what I am playing. I am aware of varying suggestions of famous luthier’s who may or may not have been involved and remain unfazed. I can only say that regardless of what it may be worth I am simply NOT selling.
      Incidentally, the headstock has the Flete design and on inspection has the Fleta bracing.

If you can get one cheap or otherwise, I would regard it as a good investment if in nothing else, just for the pleasure of playing it.

Anonymous

I purchased mine in Dunedin New Zealand in 1978…D28 copy. A very, very sweet guitar. Rosewood with a cedar top, lots of abalone. I thought I was going to sell it when I moved on the boat and the guitar place had it for a grand. Beautiful sounding guitar…so bright

Anonymous

Hi,

I found this long post an was wondering, if anybody heard about Tama Model TG-135. I bought this guitar about 40 years ago in Germany, it has a long live in its case and is in excellent condition. I am asking myself what a fair price for this guitar should be.
      Any suggestions

Anonymous

Hi I am collecting the Tama TG series and I have the 80 in the 120 was looking for the 135 and 160 if you still have the guitar I would like to purchase the 135 I’d pay top dollar for it depending on condition if you are interested.A good condition tg 135 i would pay $2500 + thanks greg

Anonymous

I have a collection of TAMAS. the 3563 and TG160 being the best of them. the TG135 should be worth AT LEAST 1200. – 1500.00 USD in EXCELLENT shape. if i couldnt get 2500.00 for my TG160 i wouldnt sell. but i particularly love TAMA guitars. if you are interested in selling yours, lets chat. i pay cash or trade. i have a large selection of vintage lapan and USA made guits.

Anonymous

I I’ve been trying to find a Tama TG 160 for a while and I am willing to pay top dollar$3000 + depending on condition for it if you’re interested in selling,I already have the TG-80 and the TG -120 so I’m trying to complete the set – thanks

Anonymous

hey Greg, im glad it was you got the 160, i just now saw your post here or you may have paid just a little more for it..LOL HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Anonymous

HI I AM THE OWNER OF A PRETTY GOOD CONDITION TAMA TC 10 CLASSICAL GUITAR AND I AM CONSIDERING PART EXCHANGING IT FOR A SEMI ACOUSTIC GUITAR , ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA OF ITS VALUE.

Anonymous

Looking to try a Tama in classical style. Anyone wanting to sell???
        [email protected]

Anonymous

I have a beautiful Tama TC10 that i would sell, for the right price. If youre interested send me an offer. its a 1968 and it has really pretty gold or brass hardware on it. Suzanne 719 963 8345. Its best to text first, i rarely answer unknown numbers

Anonymous

Hey gents,

I have a Tama 3653 renaissance (tree of life) I’ve never seen one for sale. And even though I’d never sell it i still would mind knowing a worth
      . Anyone have any idea??

Mike

Anonymous

I HAVE ONE MYSELF. MOST SPECTACULAR GUITAR I HAVE EVER PLAYED. MY TAMA TG160 IS EQUAL BUT DIFFERENT. THESE 3563 TAMAS CAN AND DO FETCH UPWARDS OF 2000.00 USD. I WOULD NOT SELL MINE AT TWICE THAT PRICE AS I LIKE IT MUCH BETTER THAN A MARTIN OR GIBSON IN THAT PRICE RANGE

Anonymous

If you ever change your mind About selling your TG-160 please me know I would love to make you a good offer on it if circumstances change I have a TG 80 and a TG 120 it has always been looking for the 160 but can never find one. Thanks Greg

Anonymous

depending on condition, maybe 700 – 1000usd
        i have a 3568

Anonymous

I purchased my TAMA new in 1977 (1976 model). I paid around $325.00 for it at that time.
      The top has developed 2 healthy cracks from not keeping it hydrated over the years but it still plays and sounds wonderful.
      No intention of ever getting rid if this treasure

Anonymous

I bought my TAMA Model 3555 new in 1976
      Some years ago a guitar work shop mounted L. R. Baggs Micro EQ on it and the guitar sounds great!
      Today I got it back from a guitar work shop again after a total overhaul.
      I love my TAMA and use it a lot!
      Can somebody tell me; are the top, sides and back made of solid wood?
      Sinc. regards Egil Stenset

Anonymous

I recently bought a Tama, 3561 at a loan store for $65. Being a loan store and not a pawn shop, they don’t know as much about the merchandise that they buy or give loans on. I was not familiar with Tama guitars, but I did know some nice guitars came from Japan, and this one sounded good and was in good condition. I had no idea how good of a guitar I was getting. They had $69.99 on it, and I got it for $65-out the door. Probably the best guitar deal I’ll ever get. I have no intention of selling it.

Anonymous

I think you must have either a 3550, 3551, or 3552. There’s one in eBay now. Gorgeous woods. I still am loving the TC10. It is loud! I am convinced I got the spruce top.

Anonymous

I own this 46 yr old guitar which I fell in love with when I bought it second hand in 1980 for over £200 .I send half of my term grant cheque on it because it totally blew me away – very solid construction with a beautiful tone and resonance it has a very low action and very solid feel. I have owned it for many years now . the machine heads cracked and I changed them a few years back and recently paid to have it fully stripped down and repolished to new standard. its a jacaranda rosewood back and sides and looks and sounds beautiful. I will never sell it . I have seen worn out model for £300-£800 on line and at any price I would recommend buying them and paying to refurbish them – any comments welcome

Anonymous

Got myself a Tama TC-10 classical which needed a fret planning and crack fixed below the bridge. Amazing guitar for the price. With repairs it cost me just about $1000. Crisp highs, piano basses, and sustain for years! Very well executed craftsmanship with solid back, sides, and top. Spruce or cedar top and very nice tight grained rosewood with a cashew lacquer finish. Still shines after 40 years.

Anonymous

I have recently purchased a gorgeous 1976 Tama 3561. D-28 type. From US cost almost $900 and about half as much again to ship it over to UK , by the time shipping, customs, and holding charge companies had their cut! But boy is it worth it! What a beaut. The woods are all premium and the tone is just something else, really looking forward to spending time together with this baby. As already mentioned this guitar is right up there with the big boys, and exceeds some of them too. I have some nice guitars already in my collection and have played some lovely ones over the years but this one is staying right by my side

Anonymous

I have the same model I paid £650 but worth every penny. I would never part with it because these guitars are getting harder and harder to find in good condition. It took me over two years of searching to find this one. Definitely time well spent

Anonymous

Hello, Can you tell us which TG model? And what are your experiences with it regarding sound – fretwork –
      playability etc. My TG120 made me sell my Martin D28 from 1978!

Anonymous

I have the TG 160 solid Jacaranda. Lovely guitar, rich and silky smooth.

Anonymous

Just bought a Tama TG model, fabulous guitar equal to my martin D-28

Anonymous

I have one of these beautifully made guitars. From all the research I have done it seems that here in New Zealand these Tama 3558s were rebranded Ray Durant. Having seen 3558s represented elsewhere, they are identical, so I have finally solved the mystery of what it actually is.
      Importing these Martin D45 copies back then must have necessitated a badge change to get around some legalities, however the build quality is far more important than all that.
      A quality guitar with rich sound and nice playable action and the most beautiful wood grain.
      It is missing the truss rod cover but I haven’t replaced it.
      I have just moved house to a smaller place and need to downsize my life so have decided to sell it.
      If anyone is interested contact me through this and we can talk. I have a couple of other guitars that I will keep hold of so this needs to be played.

Anonymous

I recently purchased a Tama 3558 in great shape. I already had a TG120 which is a later model of the Tama brand.
      When I bought my TG 120 and made a comparison with my 1978 Martin D28 I decided to sell the Martin! At least
      equal quality! Building qualities are simply great. The main difference between the TG120 and the 3558 is the fret-
      work. On most mid seventies Japanese guitars the fretwork is quite mediocre and even on my later Ibanez Artist
      AR 300 that is the biggest problem. The fact that sides and back on a 3558 are laminated (though rosewood on
      rosewood) doesn’t make it any lesser in sound quality. It was done in order to prevent warping problems in the wood
      of sides when shipped worldwide. The TG 120 has solid sides and back but is not a better guitar for that reason though
      some other specs are better on the second batch of Tama’s.
      The classic guitar Tama’s are a steal but hard to find at least here in Europe! In the Tama workshops they built the
      Juan Orozco guitars but also the Kohno branded guitars for the world market: The same instruments!

Anonymous

Hi Tama3558, how much did you pay for it if i may ask.

Anonymous

My 3558 S has a solid top and I payed 400 Euro’s for it which is a steal to my belief. The overall condition of this guitar was remarkably good. The frets could do better so I refretted this instrument and flattened out the fingerboard. When a buyer who isn’t a real guitar technician should have done this by a pro you are 200 euro further…. The sound is remarkable but only after I securely flattened out the topnut surface and made a good nut for it. Good contact between top nut and neck especially enhances the bass response!

Anonymous

I live in Nashville – I have the 3558-s and have owned it for over 40 years – and although I still need to take my beloved Tama to the Luthier to have it tuned every 7 or 8 years … it has the best sound of any guitar save some real 3-4 thousand dollar guitars. But still this bass response and brightness and mid-range play-ability is perfect – But the guitar has intonation flaws around the 11th & 12th frets. Those flaws don’t show up down lower though…

Anonymous

Just bought one needs a small fix over all in great conditions come with the cover would like to know if fixable thanks ..

Anonymous

I am the proud owner of a 3563 Renaissance (tree of life). It plays, sounds and looks like a dream and they’re like hens teeth. Also other tama owners are like hens teeth. The guitars themselves are greatly underappreciated. I live in the UK. Email me if you have and more info on these guitars. I don’t think I’ll ever sell it but I’d like to know what’s it’s worth in the modern market!

Anonymous
        Anonymous
        Anonymous

Hi Mike I’m a huge Tama fan also please give me an email, as I’d like to contact you regarding my Tama’s seeing as you live in the UK. Cheers Steve

Anonymous

Absolutely love it, but finally going to sell it (i use a j200 now). I’ve done some research and it looks like a mint condition Tama TW series should sell for $900-$1200 depending on the model number. I have seen Euro based auctions for TW-09’s listed at $1600 on ebay (which seems quite high).

Tama has a ton of models from the 1970s and the quality varies greatly. I was really fortunate to find the TW-010, it was my go-to-AC for 15 years, but I like to change things up. The mid-high end models are great guitars.

Anonymous

Hi Mike, I didn’t know if my message got to you or not, as the link never said that it sent. I too live in the UK and it’s so nice to hear from a fellow Tama fan on guitarsite! I’d love to see some pics of your guitar?

Hopefully speak soon

Steve Boulton

Anonymous

Hi I have a TW-09, superb acoustic. All solid guitar, plays and sounds just as good as my friends Martin guitars. In fact he wasn’t aware of Tama, until I introduced him to Tama. Now he’s gained a new respect, as he loves them!!! I’ve also just purchased a Flagship model TG-160 all solid jacaranda. Looking forward to receiving it!!!!!y

Anonymous

Wow, this is an old post and not sure who is still active to view it. I own a Tama classical 3550 which I purchased in 1972. It is solid jacaranda back and sides and a cedar top. It has an unbelievable sound that has a real “pop” to it, almost a flamenco brightness. I find it hard to believe that this guitar is only worth $300-$400. I had it appraised many years ago for $850. I am thinking about selling it.

There are a lot of different stories about the history of this guitar, such as who actually made it (i.e. the Tama brothers as a prototype …) It also has an adjustable steel rod in the neck. I think it boils down to beauty (looks and sound) is in the eye of the beholder with the Tama’s. Weigh in if you feel so led.

Anonymous

HAHAHA— yes, I know that your post was long, long ago!

However, do you still have this guitar and if so are you still wanting to sell it?
        I believe that the 3550 is a classical style guitar? Nylon strings?

Thanks–

Jim. I am NOT a dealer, just a guy who wants to try the Tama’s.
        702-846 7000

Anonymous

Wanting to do a neck reset on this guitar. Does anyone know if these had dovetail neck joints? The truss rod appears to extend all the way up to the headblock.

Anonymous

sorry, they are epoxied and near impossible to reset according to my luthier. however he can do them if you want to pay the price.

Anonymous

I have a TG-120 that I paid $100 for several years ago. Beautiful guitar with beautiful sound. Not for sale!!! Play it daily, sometimes several times a day.

Anonymous

I got my Tama 6 string acoustic guitar back in ’75 or ’76. I continue to play it to this day. The sounds remains clear. Would have loved to gotten the 12. I’m looking to connect with other Tama owners and learn about the history of the guitar.

Anonymous

I have a Tama that I bought for $400 in 1976. I have played a zillion guitars in my life, and this one ranks among the best. Good news/bad news, bad news first: I wouldn’t be able to sell it for anywhere near what a comparable Martin would sell for. Good news: I don’t want to sell it. Other good news: If you get a chance to buy one of these guitars you’ll be getting a Martin-quality guitar for 1/2 the price, or less. Maybe someday they’ll become collector’s items, but for now, they’re relatively still unheard of, and sell for cheap!!

Anonymous

I just took my Tama 3561 in to see a Luthier to see if he could lower the strings because I was 22 years-old when I bought this guitar, now I am 61. He spent the whole day sanding down the bridge and he told me the neck was fine and the guitar was one of the sweetest sounding he had ever heard. I paid 100 bucks to have the strings lowered since arthritis has taken the strength out of my fingers. It does play much easier and this guitar goes to my grave with me. After over 40 years the sound has mellowed much better than I have. Few things in life I have kept this long and taken such good care of and it’s worth it.

Anonymous

: I have a TAMA 3566 I bought about 1988, I don’t recall how much I paid – probably about $175. It is very well made, and sounds very nice when played by somebody who knows what they are doing! Other than a tiny "buzz" on one fret with one string, and a fair amount of scratch wear and tear, it is in good playing shape. I was just pondering selling it along with a Sigma guitar and an old banjo to finance a nice banjo.

Anonymous

: Early ’70s model Tama Acoustic. Solid blond w/ abalonie inlay on all edges and on key frets Model #3560, SN 4800108. : Bought new, in great shape and sounds fantastic. Played very little. Does anyone know the value?

Anonymous

If it helps, I recently purchased a Tama #3561 for $245.

Anonymous

: : Early ’70s model Tama Acoustic. Solid blond w/ abalonie inlay on all edges and on key frets Model #3560, SN 4800108. : Bought new, in great shape and sounds fantastic. Played very little. Does anyone know the value? If it helps, I recently purchased a Tama #3561 for $245.

Anonymous

I have one that is from 1977 or 78. I bought it from a fellow who was a field rep for Tama/Ibanez who had bought it new and had not played it. I have played it little – it looks like a brand new guitar. Not a flyspeck on it. It has basically lain in its case now for over 25 years. I play it once in a while, and it sings like an angel – and the wood work on it makes the best other guitars I have seen look like they were knocked together by teenager. I have a Takamine F-340, a lovely ax, and the Tama is orders of magnitude ahead in workmanship.

Anonymous

They arent worth much. A few hundred bucks. Some are good some are bad. WHen you find one on Ebay its probably a bad one. Thing is a guitar from the 70’s will today need a neck reset. That repair will cost more then you can fetch for these guitars sale. THere is a mystique about the Japanese knock off guitars like Yamaki, Tama, Takamine but the reality is that many of them had problems. They were after all knock offs of Martin and Gibson. The knockoffs were a learning process so buying one is always a gamble. They used good woods but chances are they need work. Therefore the value really isnt much.

Anonymous

I have a beautiful Tama acoustic TW-09, along with a Martin D18. If I had to choose to keep one guitar, I would keep the Tama. Its stunning, very playable guitar. I will never sell it!

Anonymous

I am looking at a 2002 post of yours. I own a Tama 3550 classical with jacaranda back and sides with cedar top. I got it in 1972. I have to say the sound is unlike anything I have ever heard. It has a “pop” to it. I don’t see it as falling into the cheap catagory at all and with the age of the wood and with the adjustable neck rod, I really think, at least this guitar, has some good value to it. How much I am not sure but certainly more than $300-$400. I am interested in your thoguht inasmuch as you worked for Ibanez in that time frame.

Thanks

Anonymous

i have also a tama model guitar 7o’s i believe 3651 : 74020422

Anonymous

I have a Tama TW-010 That I bought about 20 years ago Beautiful sound and action. I think it is walnut, quite dark. Can any one give me an idea as to its value, it is in beautiful shape.

Anonymous

I bought my Tama in 1972 and would never trade it for a martin or guild… it is one of the best guitars I have ever owned.

Anonymous

I just purchased a similar model for $375.00. I watch them closely and they start around $300-$500 for a six string, and a twelve can go as high as $600+. I worked for Tama/Ibanez when they made these guitars and have watched for them since. Do you still have it?

Anonymous

: I just purchased a similar model for $375.00. I watch them closely and they start around $300-$500 for a six string, and a twelve can go as high as $600+. I worked for Tama/Ibanez when they made these guitars and have watched for them since. Do you still have it? I also own a Tama and was just wondering what it was worth and found this site. I saw an old guitar on The Antique show on Tv and it was a guitar that had the same ebony, rose wood as Tama it was 25,ooo. I paid 650.00m for mine in the 70’s actually I painted the music store owners house for it. I would n’t sell it for a thousand..Its got alot of quality..

Anonymous

: I just purchased a similar model for $375.00. I watch them closely and they start around $300-$500 for a six string, and a twelve can go as high as $600+. I worked for Tama/Ibanez when they made these guitars and have watched for them since. Do you still have it? Hi, I have a TAMA Model 3561. My old man got it for me so I have no idea of it’s worth, but it has to be one of the nicest I have played, but no one has heard of it. Are they still made? Thanks, Peter

Anonymous

Ok so I have one purchased about ’72. Plays well, lovely condition, blonde wood, inlaid work, super nice, if I don’t get any ??$ offers, no case, will ship DHL ground. I will place it on ebay under miamistyles. Thanks, M

Anonymous

: I just purchased a similar model for $375.00. I watch them closely and they start around $300-$500 for a six string, and a twelve can go as high as $600+. I worked for Tama/Ibanez when they made these guitars and have watched for them since. Do you still have it?

Anonymous

Sorry for the previous follow up. I’ve got a Tama 6-string acoustic model 3558 s/n 6055814. It was given as a present but I don’t know it’s value. Any help is appreciated.

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.