Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Yamaha SG2000

• This topic has 14 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 12 years ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

has anyone played a yamaha sg2000, if so what is your opinion of them. i currently play an epiphone les paul standard special edition and am looking to change to a guitar with a bit more depth and versatillity. does anyone know if the early models had the coil tapping feature that switches from humbuckers to single coils?
    thanks, rob.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

hey guys i have the sg2000 reissue for sale, which is a lot better compare to the 70′s and the 80′s.drop me an email for pics and enquiries.every single parts are handcrafted by the master luthiers of yamaha factory in hamamatsu japan.my email is [email protected]!

Anonymous

I have either a 1978 or 1979 cherry sunburst SG2000 that I still dearly love. This is one heavy plank-o-wood, as the heavy duty tones and sustain characteristics point out. As I remember, Yamaha first made an SG1500 in this guise, with silver hardware and either a bolt on or glued neck joint. The SG2000 upped the ante, with body-through neck construction, gold coloured hardware and coil tapping(not sure exactly when this was introduced, although my late 70’s model, ser # 00638 has them). You CANNOT get a Strat type sound by going to the single coil config, but it does add to the guitars allure by giving more tonal variations. The stock pickups really have a lot of bite, and will put out some smokin’ tones with heavy riffing(they did not ever have covers on them). As another reviewer has stated, this is probably not the best axe for cleaner tones, but as a hard rock guitar, it is definitely a bargain since it has a beautiful ebony fretboard and jumbo nickel frets at a fraction of the price of a comparable Les Paul. Highly recommended

Anonymous

I have been using an sg 200o since the late seventies. I would not change it for any other guitar available the playability and build with the trough neck put gibsons to shame. The early models did not have the coil taps fitted. The only changes made to mine is to fit a pair of dimazio super distortion humbuckers with coil taps and a phase switch. Incredible guitar. Carlos Santana used them for many years.

Anonymous

I have been using an sg 200o since the late seventies. I would not change it for any other guitar available the playability and build with the trough neck put gibsons to shame. The early models did not have the coil taps fitted. The only changes made to mine is to fit a pair of dimazio super distortion humbuckers with coil taps and a phase switch. Incredible guitar. Carlos Santana used them for many years.

Anonymous

I didn’t know the SG2000 ever had coil taps – I’ve owned an early one from new, a ’78 I think, no coil taps, and now with a knackered volume pot – jammed solid after too much bowing and posing. It’s a great guitar – individual and not perfect. It has a thicker neck than a Les Paul, but much better access to the top frets – apart from the double cutaway, the heel of the neck is rounded off. I agree with the guy who said the clean tone was not the best, but if you want that get a Strat. The 2000 had a three continuous strips of wood from the headstock to past the tailpiece. The lesser models just had a glued on neck. I had the original frets replaced with thinner ones, as I found it easier to get my large-ish fingers between the frets. Didn’t seem to affect the sustain – mine has been playing a top ‘E’ since 1982. Les Paul’s are cooler though, if you’re bothered by that.

Anonymous

I have had an sg 2000 new one for about 6 months. Have always wanted one cos i love the shape and the mahogony maple sound. Its absolutely beautiful and plays superbly, easily as good as a les paul. Im not so sure about the coil taps tho… if you want single coils go buy a fender….

Anonymous

Hi Rob: I have had an SG2000 since 1979; it is a ’78. I have played it in many different situations and prefer it to a Les Paul–not as heavy and bulky. It has gold hardware, humbucks, sunburst, intricate inlays on neck and head. There are no covers on the pickups, however–I’m not sure whether it ever had them. I have had a tough time finding any info on the guitar, and have little idea as to its value. Any ideas? Best, Chip

Anonymous

Sorry, nothing to do with te Yamaha guitar. Rob, What is the Les Paul Special Edition like, I am thinking of buying one. How much did U buy yours for and what year was it made? If you can help me I would be very grateful. Cheers.

Anonymous

I’ve got a black SG2000 I bought new 1978. Its a Paul killer. Nothing can touch it. Mine is an early model, no coil tapping. You could easily install a pull-pot, and split the coils yourself. By the way, if you find one of these in good shape, snap it up, and get it set-up right. You’d have to pay thousands just to get close to the abilities of this guitar. Don’t mess with the pickups either, Seymour can’t improve the best( I’ve tried a JB and it was shit in comparison to the original).

Anonymous

Hello Rob As an ex user of the SG2000 (original one with out coil split)I think they used the coil taps after 1979 models. I can honestly tell you they are brilliant If it was good enough for Santana then go figure! It is a better built (arguably sounding and i can compare)than a les paul. I wish I still had mine 🙁 i cant find another as yet, when you find one snap it up you wont be sorry and dont bother buying a les paul they are twice the price and NO BETTER I know as I have one and would swop it for a good SG2000 in a heart beat. Good Luck Bodie

Anonymous

Am I seeing things or is this web site selling new SG2000s http://www.themusicwarehouse.ltd.uk/acatalog/MW_Online_Yamaha_Electrics_and_Basses_45.html : Hello Rob : As an ex user of the SG2000 (original one with out coil split)I think they used the coil taps after 1979 models. I can honestly tell you they are brilliant : If it was good enough for Santana then go figure! : It is a better built (arguably sounding and i can compare)than a les paul. I wish I still had mine 🙁 : i cant find another as yet, when you find one snap it up you wont be sorry and dont bother buying a les paul they are twice the price and NO BETTER I know as I have one and would swop it for a good SG2000 in a heart beat. : Good Luck : Bodie

Anonymous

Rob, the SG2000 will stand up against any comparable guitar admirably (i.e. Gibson Les Paul). The sustain offered by the SG2000 is awesome. Furthermore, the feel, playability and styling are more than adequate. The only criticism I could make is that the SG2000 struggles when the cleanest of tones are required. With reference to the coil taps, it is my understanding that it was only the later SG2000S models that were equipped with coil tap tone pots.

Anonymous

: I have a mid 70s sg2000 and it is the only guitar that I would not part with although I have owned gibsons and fenders. I added the pull tone pots later from Yamaha and split the coils.

Anonymous

:

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.