Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Carvin TL60 guitar

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I bought a TL60 about 1 year ago and have always played Fender Tele’s. I am very please with the sound and playability of my Carvin. It has so much clear sound and bite. I love the Swamp Ash wood body and the body binding with the Fishman Acoustic bridge and the headstock matching he body color. Mine is Classic White. I dealt with Carl Owens and he was very patient with me in some of the changes I had made during the process of it comming to life. thank’s Carl
    When I pick up my guitar and strap it on I feel like I had got everything I could want in a guitar right around my neck!
    Richard Spurgeon
    Caldwell, Idaho

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

: I bought a TL60 about 1 year ago and have always played Fender Tele’s. I am very please with the sound and playability of my Carvin. It has so much clear sound and bite. I love the Swamp Ash wood body and the body binding with the Fishman Acoustic bridge and the headstock matching he body color. Mine is Classic White. I dealt with Carl Owens and he was very patient with me in some of the changes I had made during the process of it comming to life. thank’s Carl : When I pick up my guitar and strap it on I feel like I have got everything I could want in a guitar right around my neck! : Richard Spurgeon : Caldwell, Idaho

Anonymous

My TL60 is my 3rd Carvin guitar. I have been playing for 35 years, 15 of which were professionally. I have a Carvin SC90 of solid koa wood and when I got that my Les Paul Custom went into retirement – the warm koa SC90 beat my Les Paul in every respect – tone, playability, quality and price. When I ordered my TL60 I wanted a brighter sounding guitar so I ordered it with maple neck, birdseye board and swamp ash body sides done up in translucent white with a tortoise shell binding. The guitar is absolutley stunning to look at, finish and workmanship is utterly flawless. From the wiring I did on my SC90 I already knew that Carvin C22 pickups sound really good in single-coil mode, so I ordered my TL60 with two humbuckers and a 3-way lever, single volume and single tone control. Carvin won’t wire 3-way splitters, so I had them not wire ANY splitters and installed my own 3-way splitter switches myself (either coil or series). I also installed my own switch to totally bypass the 3-way selector and put the bridge and neck in series. When my guitar arrived, it was a bright sounding guitar as expected. Also as expected, the C22s provided a sweet tone with very wide dynamic range – even though the buitar is brighter than my SC90 it is still a warm and sweet kind of bright with EXCELLENT harmonics. There are several interesting things about a Carvin guitar with C22s: the tone control is actually USEFUL – the pickups have a wide enough dynamic range that the tone control can actually warm up the sound instead of just make it muddy. Carvin wired a 28pf "treble bleed" capacitor on the tone control. I removed that and the volume control will now warm up the tone considerably. Now don’t get me wrong – the guitar sounded GREAT just as it arrived. Right out of the box it was an EXCELLENT country guitar. I just have a very particular ear and want a particular sound and I play primarily blues. The SC22 pickups are absolutely excellent pickups. The coil with the adjustable pole pieces is the more "open" and "airy" sounding coil and harmonics LEAP out of this coil. The coil with the fixed pole pieces is more like a typical Strat pickup. My guitar has the new semi-hot C22 bridge pickup mounted with the adjustable coil nearest the bridge – and that coil does sound remarkably like a Telecaster. The fixed bridge coil by itself sounds more like a Strat. While I was at it I installed a Chandler Red Booster on a pull-up volume control. Now my TL60 is a do EVERYTHING guitar! If you want my wiring schematic, including all the nitty gritty about the Chandler Red Booster and the switches, just let me know and I will email it to you – it isn’t hard to follow – it’s a diagram for the electrically challenged like me, any big dummy with a little red screwdriver can figure it out. As for the neck and action on my guitar, it plays just as incredibly well as the other two Carvin guitars I have, and required zero adjustment out of the box. My opinion is that there is no guitar out there with a neck that can compete with a Carvin neck! I have a Fender Strat, a Gibson Les Paul custom (61 model), a Strat I built up from Warmoth parts with a custom Warmoth neck, and a Fender Tele. They are all good guitars. But my Carvins are better!

Anonymous

Jim: Thanks for your excellent review! I would greatly appreciate you sending me a copy of your wiring schematic, including info on the Chandler Red Booster and the switches, especially the pull-up volume control. If you had a picture of your guitar you wouldn’t mind sending, I’d apprecate that also. I’ve been thinking about a white TL60 with body binding but a 5-piece tung-oiled neck and the FA pickups. I’d like a guitar that could cover sounds like I get on my Les Paul, but also do well with country and blues numbers. thanks, Phil Spartz : My TL60 is my 3rd Carvin guitar. I have been playing for 35 years, 15 of which were professionally. I have a Carvin SC90 of solid koa wood and when I got that my Les Paul Custom went into retirement – the warm koa SC90 beat my Les Paul in every respect – tone, playability, quality and price. When I ordered my TL60 I wanted a brighter sounding guitar so I ordered it with maple neck, birdseye board and swamp ash body sides done up in translucent white with a tortoise shell binding. The guitar is absolutley stunning to look at, finish and workmanship is utterly flawless. From the wiring I did on my SC90 I already knew that Carvin C22 pickups sound really good in single-coil mode, so I ordered my TL60 with two humbuckers and a 3-way lever, single volume and single tone control. Carvin won’t wire 3-way splitters, so I had them not wire ANY splitters and installed my own 3-way splitter switches myself (either coil or series). I also installed my own switch to totally bypass the 3-way selector and put the bridge and neck in series. When my guitar arrived, it was a bright sounding guitar as expected. Also as expected, the C22s provided a sweet tone with very wide dynamic range – even though the guitar is brighter than my SC90 it is still a warm and sweet kind of bright with EXCELLENT harmonics. There are several interesting things about a Carvin guitar with C22s: the tone control is actually USEFUL – the pickups have a wide enough dynamic range that the tone control can actually warm up the sound instead of just make it muddy. Carvin wired a 28pf "treble bleed" capacitor on the tone control. I removed that and the volume control will now warm up the tone considerably. Now don’t get me wrong – the guitar sounded GREAT just as it arrived. Right out of the box it was an EXCELLENT country guitar. I just have a very particular ear and want a particular sound and I play primarily blues. The SC22 pickups are absolutely excellent pickups. The coil with the adjustable pole pieces is the more "open" and "airy" sounding coil and harmonics LEAP out of this coil. The coil with the fixed pole pieces is more like a typical Strat pickup. My guitar has the new semi-hot C22 bridge pickup mounted with the adjustable coil nearest the bridge – and that coil does sound remarkably like a Telecaster. The fixed bridge coil by itself sounds more like a Strat. While I was at it I installed a Chandler Red Booster on a pull-up volume control. Now my TL60 is a do EVERYTHING guitar! If you want my wiring schematic, including all the nitty gritty about the Chandler Red Booster and the switches, just let me know and I will email it to you – it isn’t hard to follow – it’s a diagram for the electrically challenged like me, any big dummy with a little red screwdriver can figure it out. As for the neck and action on my guitar, it plays just as incredibly well as the other two Carvin guitars I have, and required zero adjustment out of the box. My opinion is that there is no guitar out there with a neck that can compete with a Carvin neck! I have a Fender Strat, a Gibson Les Paul custom (61 model), a Strat I built up from Warmoth parts with a custom Warmoth neck, and a Fender Tele. They are all good guitars. But my Carvins are better!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.