Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics CONRAD GUITAR

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

It’s interesting that after all these years some people are talking about Conrad Guitars. I have one a blonde,pine wood model 0229. Its my favorite guitar and its a shame the company seems to have disappeared. It has a very good sound the body is a bit large but it looks great.,JR

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I owned a Conrad bass in 1966-67, my first bass. Solid body with a Fender style slanted headstock. Played well as I recall. Sold it and replaced with a Gibson EB-0 in 68 or so. Bought it at a music store that sold Gibson, Baldwin pianos and Slingerland drums. Also bought a Baldwin bass amp there s well as a Kalamazoo amp. Played a Fender Jazz for years. The Conrad was a good starter instrument.

Anonymous

Trying to find a replacement Tremolo Arm for this Guitar, any Suggestions?n

Anonymous

Hey I was wondering if any of these guitars mentioned possibly have a gold seal inside or the name William e conrad inside? If so please send me pictures and let me know if they are for sale 🙂 thank you

Anonymous

I managed to pick up what appears to be a new old stock Conrad baritone ukulele at an estate auction for $40. This was my very first stringed instrument purchase of any sort. I have to say I really like this little thing. Dusted it off, put on some new LaBella 25 Baritone Ukulele Strings, and started learning chords and whatnot. Unfortunately, the only labeling on this thing is the Conrad name on the headstock and a little “Made in Japan” sticker on the back of the headstock, not even a label inside the body. From a few of the images of catalog pages on vintaxe.com it looks like they had baritone ukuleles in the catalog from the mid 1960’s forward. I wish I could find out more about it.

Anonymous

Hello to all! i just bought a 70’s Conrad 40080 model with P90’s pickup. the bridge one is defect. it look like the dimensions are not standard. 78mm x 35mm. if sone one has one for sale! P90 or humbucker. thank you.

Anonymous

1967 father gave me a 4 string violin hollow-body electric bass w/two single coil pick-ups. Got it back from our agent after 48 years in the attic this summer, and it needed some work. A local luthier glued a cracked neck at head bridge, and replaced the tone pot as shaft was 1/2 missing and wouldn’t retain a knob. Tone is now not vary effective. Does anyone have info on the tone/volume pot and capacitor values and 3 way selector switch info so I can get this right again. Where might I get this electronic parts info?

Anonymous

I have an old Conrad round neck resophonic guitar with all the guts missing. I’d like to bring it back to its original state but the construction does not allow for common parts. Are there replacement comes and spiders available for this instrument and if so, where can find them?

Anonymous

Where do I find the model # on this guitar?
      I recently came across a Conrad electric guitar but can’t find a model number anywhere.

Anonymous

I have a Conrad and nobody seems to know anything about them. All the labels says is . .
      “Conrad Handmade Folk Guitar . . . Mod SF403 . . SDCE-BK . . Serial no: 00015”
      It’s in excellent condition, and plays really nicely since being properly set-up, so I’m keeping it, but would love to know more about its origins.
      Trevor (in Bristol, UK)

Anonymous

I have a Conrad electric 6 string guitar for sale that is in very good condition and I want to know what it would sell for.

Anonymous

I have been given a Conrad Bass guitar, Black with white scratch plate – no serial number anywhere.
      Backplate has a cartoon of a double headed Yeti style character
      Anyone know what age the guitar is or what model this guitar could be?

Anonymous

There are a lot of questions about Conrad guitars. Here is what I learned from one source. Conrad guitars were made by a Japanese manufacturer named Matsumoku. They made parts for a lot of different guitar companies. They made some guitars for Ibanez and Ventura. Their guitars were considered to be high quality and very similar to Martins. They were owned by Singer and when Singer came into financial trouble Matsumoku closed.

Anonymous

I’m trying to find out about the value, year and model information on this 12 string guitar. The top has several surface cracks. Otherwise it’s in pretty good shape. Plays well. Thanks!

Anonymous

I need a replacement neck. what neck will fit with out any modifications

Anonymous

I have a Conrad acoustic model 220 serial 40172 Japan no pick guard design of a gold cross on key part of neck, is it worth anything ? Can anyone tell me about it?

Anonymous

I bought a 12 string new way back in 1967,played it in bands for years. Was playing in a club one night, and Jerry Reed came in, on break, he asked if he could play it, you can bet I said yes. Said it sounded better than a Gibson he had, and played as well. We kept in touch until he passed away. wouldnot take anything for it!

Anonymous

Posted only once have no idea why it came up 3 times

Anonymous

I just inherited a Conrad guitar from a family friend. It is 335 style with 3 single coils a beautiful sunburst yellow to brown finish with tortoise shell pick guard and tortis plates under the pups and switches. It has a three position switch and a small slide switch. It took me awhile to figure out but the slide switch basically makes it a five position switch with some interesting pup combos. It is a gorgeous guitar and sounds great! Needless to say I am very happy. Found one pic on net by searching Conrad on bing images but the one in the pic was missing pick guard and vibrato. Mine is missing the spring and arm on a very unusual bigsby type vibrato. Took it to the luthier and he says he can source the parts do a little neck adjust and make it brand new. Can’t wait get it back. Like everyone else I can find no info about it on net. Don’t know the model, year or even the serial number. If any one has any info I would be very grateful! A beautiful seemingly well made guitar it has taken the case away from my epi dot..lol

Anonymous

Model No 40218 Serial Number BB468
      Picked this old Conrad guitar up on Craigslist for something to practice on while my LAG was being sent back to the factory to be replaced.
      This old guitar has been abused, Dings, dents and scratches , missing the saddle . I brought it home and cleaned it up, Rubbed some coconut oil into the old dry wood and put some new strings on it. The funny thing is, it now looks pretty good,even with the dents and dings. The wood has a very pretty and nice grain to it. It looks like they used a nice maple wood on it. The amazing thing was that I just loved the sound when I got the new strings on it and started playing it. From what I understand they were made some time in the 70’s. I think it sounds better than some of the new guitars that recently played at ‘Guitar City.

Anonymous

I’VE A CONRAD ACOUSTIC, WHAT YOU MIGHT CALL A JUMBO BODY, SERIAL# 40143. I BOUGHT IT NEW BACK IN THE 70’S, I THINK. IT STILL PLAYS GREAT WITH LITTLE WORK DONE ON IT EXCEPT INSTALLING A PIEZO PICKUP WITH A 5-BAND EQ. I HAD A PRO INSTALL IT, AND NOW IT’S AN ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC, WHICH I CAN AMPLIFY NOW. THE INSTALL REQUIRES REMOVING BRIDGE, BUT WHEN THE GUY PUT IT BACK IN, THE ACTION GOT BETTER!! IT WAS A BIT HIGH ALL THESE YEARS, BUT IT NOW HAS A SECOND LIFE, AND I REALLY ENJOY PLAYING MORE OFTEN NOW THAN I DID. MY QUESTION TO ANY ONE WITH SOME KNOWLEDGE IS WHAT YEAR MINE COULD BE AND WHAT VALUE IT COULD HAVE, IF ANY. I KNOW THE ALTERATION MIGHT KNOCK THAT DOWN, BUT I’M JUST CURIOUS ALL THE SAME. I WOULDN’T PART WITH IT ANYWAY……THANKS

Anonymous

I have a conrad 12 string elecrtic guitar that used to be my fathers (he died in 1981). I have no idea how to play. It is in real good shape. Where would I find the value of it?

Anonymous

Can’t help anyone here, I have all the same questions, mine is kind of a resonator-dobro cross. All I know is that it says Conrad on it, no visible model numbers or anything.

Anonymous

sounds like a Conrad Del Vecchio copy, resontor guitar with a wood cover with 6 small cloth covered holes, Chet Atkins played a Del Vecchio guitar like this in the 70’s they were made in brazil and not many of them were imported to the USA,
        Conrad made one that looked almost just like it but has a truss rod in the neck, and most people say the Conrad was a much better guitar.

Anonymous

I have Conrad I got from my grandfather. It is a hollow body with f holes (jazz style). Kind of black on the edges fading to a deep red, with tortise pattern pick guard. Looks to have a place for a tremelo, but have no idea how to get a hold of one. Very good sounding guitar.

Anonymous

I am thinking about buying a Conrad double-neck guitar (I believe it was made in the early 80’s) but was curious as to a fair market value and any other feedback or info that someone might have. It plays and looks great but I am not familiar with Conrad’s gear. Any info would be much appreciated.

Anonymous

I received a Conrad Guitar, Model-40 080, Serial # 0255681, from a friend when he passed away in 97. It is in excellent shape with NO dings or scratches. If anyone has any info at all on these guitars (value, Models, years etc…) please email me at [email protected] thanks Glen

Anonymous

additional info on the CONRAD catalogue i have the name.adddress of the U.S distrubitor in 1974 as well as price list of the entire CONRAD line.my conrad guitar is a resophonic,round neck,plays either "dobro" still or as a flattop. it is as new, purchased in early 70 s

Anonymous

Hey Dandoty, I’m trying to find some info on a Conrad resophonic that I acquired. Its sounds like the one u posted about and was hoping you could give me any info you have on it; year of manufacture, price, where to find serial, etc. Thanks a lot Frankie B.

Anonymous

i have conrad resophonic,highly figured mahogany box.model 40231. also have the WEXLER color catalogue shows all the conrad line of guitars,banjos, mandolines,ukes,basses available in 1974. anyone intrested in sharing info….

Anonymous

I used to have a sunburst model and it was stolen. does anyone have any info as to where I may find more conrads for sale

Anonymous

I got my dad’s Conrad guitar recently and am trying to learn to play. He bought it around 1972 or 73. It is black and has a rose on a white pick guard. Has some bangs and bruises, but it still sounds good.

Anonymous

I just bought the same Conrad guitar model 40211 made in japan it is black and has the rose on the white pick guard . I would love to know the year it was made, and the cost back then.

Anonymous

:found you guys talking about conrad guitars, i have a conrad 6 string electric clear lucite double cut away and a 12 string acoustic ..great guitars with alot of work ..some where i have the difinitive story of conrad ..japan ..new york ..distributors ..names dates the works ..some one from an ebay listing knew all the dirt on conrad ..very kool story for these forgotten guitars ..i also am into kapa’s and univox guitars ..have some links to kool sites for these guitars ..also drop me a line and i will send a pic of my clear guitar ….will look some more for the conrad story ..and post it when i do ..

Anonymous

It’s in beautiful condition. Do you have any info about co. that made it?

Anonymous

:I have a model 40242 connrad guitar Ive had for several years my dad give it to me. The name on the neck of the guitar is Johnny Pitts custom. It has a very good sound but like I been searching for information its like they never existed. It’s interesting that after all these years some people are talking about Conrad Guitars. I have one a blonde,pine wood model 0229. Its my favorite guitar and its a shame the company seems to have disappeared. It has a very good sound the body is a bit large but it looks great.,JR

Anonymous

My dad was Johnny Pitts. He worked for David Wexler and Company back in the 60’s. He bought a music store in 1967 located at Broadway just south of Sunnyside, on the eastern side of the street. Basically he add a pick-up here, and something else there. He also has a recording studio and live music on the weekends. He was good friends with a lot of local talent like The Sundowners and Franklyn Maccormack.

Anonymous

I found this old guitar in the trash, It didnt look to bad so I brought it home and cleaned it up and fixed a few minor thigs. I was woundering if u could tell me what the worth is. Its a starter guitar but it’s a nice one. The model is 40160, thanks

Anonymous

My dad also has a Conrad 40160, very nice guitar with good sound. I do not know the worth though.

Anonymous

I have recently bought a Conrad #40080 for $100. It is virtually perfect condition besides for minor details. And like posted before, theres no information on these anywhere. If anyone can tell me the value, the year, or anything, it would be appreciated.

Anonymous

: I have recently bought a Conrad #40080 for $100. It is virtually perfect condition besides for minor details. And like posted before, theres no information on these anywhere. If anyone can tell me the value, the year, or anything, it would be appreciated.

Anonymous

: : I have a conrad acoustic guitar model A585. On the back of the neck it is stamped JAPAN. I have tried to find out some information on it and it seems to be almost impossible. I love the way it sounds though. It is a treasure in my home.

Anonymous

: I have recently bought a Conrad #40080 for $100. It is virtually perfect condition besides for minor details. And like posted before, theres no information on these anywhere. If anyone can tell me the value, the year, or anything, it would be appreciated. My boyfriend has a 40080 model conrad & am currently trying to fing out about this guitar. It appears to be a well made instrument

Anonymous

I just got an old Conrad 6 string from a freind, he’s had it hanging in his basement for years. It is a hollow-body electric w/two single coil pick-ups. The neck is still in playable condition but the guitar needs work-pots & wiring are shot etc. I am pretty lit by the discovery of this axe as it looks really cool and I am hoping it will have an equally cool sound. I purchased new pots/selector switch for it and am in the process of fixing it up. Anyway, I have been searching the web and can find virtually no info on these guitars. Any links you might have would be appreciated.

Anonymous

I own a couple of Conrad guitars. One I purchased brand new in 1966 at a Wurlitzer store. The guitars were originally imported by David Wexler Co. of Chicago, IL and sold through a network of dealers. The store I bought from had Wurlitzer organs, Baldwin pianos, guitars and amps, Conrad, Encore, Hohner and some others. Wexler is still in business in Arizona. Here is a link to their website http://www.wexlermusic.com/

http://www.vintaxe.com has catalogs online of many Japanese guitar makers online. They have a small membership fee but this allows you to download catalogs of 60’s – 70’s import guitars and US makers.

Anonymous

I spotted one for sale on eBay. The seller says that they were made in the 1970’s by Kasuga/Tokai. I just got my hands on a 12 string that looks like a Gibson ES-335 that someone had converted into a six string by plugging every other tuning peg hole with a dowel stick! I’m trying to restore it.

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.