Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics marlin guitars?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

ive recently bought a marlin guitar and dnt knw any thing bout them, help?!plz

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I have a Marlin KM 6000 acustic my dad bought new in 1974 in a little music shop in Centre,Al. he paid $999.00 US dollars for it which was a lot of money in the day. I still play it on a regular basis and love it, not to mention the sentimental value because it was my dad’s, it’s priceless as far as I’m concerned. Plays better,sounds better, stays in tune better than any Martin I have ever seen. It also has the 3 piece Rosewood back and solid spruce top. I have never seen another one like in person anyway but I would love to get my hands on other Marlin guitars.

Anonymous

I inherited a Marlin 12 string, i don’t know much about it except it sounds nice and not bad shape. Its a M430 with two pick guards, L-R i guess. Does anybody have any info on it?

Anonymous

Can any one identify a marlin guitar made in Korea and it looks like the model number may M585, We pretty designs on the upper and lower pick guards that look like roses, also speak to it’s quality. sorry I can’t get a phototo to attach to this question

Anonymous

CAN ANY ONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS GUITAR IT WAS MY FATHERS AND WOULD BE 1945 OR BEFORE

Anonymous

Ive heard that Marlin guitars are/were made by Guild and are/were the equivilant to say Gibsons Epiphone. Not 100% sure on this though.

Anonymous

marlin guitars were made by hohner in east germany,in the 80.s then moved to korea , the early ones were the better ones , made of solid wood , not sure what sort of wood , the korean ones were then made of plywood , and sounded tinny , this is what i have read . i have just bought a marlin slammer made in east germany, not tried it yet ..

Anonymous

I have recently been given a marlin loner guitar, I was wondering if anyone had any information about the guitar, or if anyone has has one? I personaly think its a decent guitar. What do you guys think?

Anonymous

Does anyone on here have any idea how much a marlin glambass is worth? Cannot find it anywhere. I managed to find an identical one on amazon but there is no price listed

Anonymous

Hi folks,

Is there someone who can tel me more about the model i put in the subject?
      It is for a friend of my who’s get this gitar as a payment for a job he did.

It is a nice acoustic gitar with nylon strings An it has a active pickup witch you can not see.
      Sorry for my (maby) bat English but I am from Holland. 😉

Thank you for reading.

Ger.

Anonymous

My cousin gave me an electric blue Marlin Loner just before he died. It has the Marlin logo on the 12th fret in red. I raised the action and use it for slide playing. It sounds really good and is quite chunky and hefty. I keep it set for a slightly thinner tone as the slide sounds better than with a Gibson-type sound. Nice axe, nice to play and, I was quite surprised to find they were made in my homeland of Wales. Tidy like, as we say here.

Anonymous

I found my Marlin MF-2 in a junk shop in Lewes for £13! It is a great acoustic guitar, in black and red. If night-rider were a guitar, that would be it!

I found on the bottom of the neck the year 1985 is etched in, so assuming that was when it was made. Did a little research and found it was made in East Asia somewhere, Japan or Taiwan I think!

I like mine, it is a little beat up, but it has got a lot of ‘character’ I suppose you could say!

I did put a transducer in it to give it some amplification and it sounds real nice, great fun!

Please let me know if anyone has any info about this guitar (and make in general) – it seems like it could be a rare one really! Googling only brought up about 3 images of the darn thing!

Kieran

Anonymous

wondering if anyone has ever heard of my marlin. friends of mine gave it to me it seems pretty old. it is a Marlin model no. 16/1. nothing comes up on the interweb when i search it

Anonymous

I was recently given a Marlin MF/CAE Electro Acoustic. Has a very nice action but its an old guitar and the bridge is also missing, does anyone know where i could pick up a bridge, i know they dont make marlins anymore so any help would be appreciated.

Anonymous

I live in Cymru (Wales), I bought my blackbodied with white pickup guard strat lookalike , ‘Marlin slammer’ from a second hand shop. I know nothing about the origins and history of this guitar, It has the Marlin logo on the 12th fret, and the only other markings on this guitar other than the logo, is what I think is a serial number, which is : 832222. Looks a little battered, but still sounds good & plays well. It could probably do with a refurb, has anybody refurbed or rebuilt one of these?

Anonymous

I just got marlin electric acoustic given but wires are all snapped. Anyone got a wiring diagramme? It says modle number MFCA-E made in korea.
      Thanks

Anonymous

Hi all I have owned a Marlin model 442 for over 35 years and it is a great guitar my first one and I wouldn’t part with it still plays great.

Anonymous

I’ve had this guitar for about 30 years now. It’s got wooden beading and wooden inlays on the neck ( small triangles )
      Anybody got any info ?

Anonymous

I have a Marlin guitar shaped like a telecaster with two humbuckers and it also has built in effects with 6 buttons phase normal effects delay vibrato wah chorus and distortion has any one else seen or had a guitar like this and what sort of value would it be its condition is a bit road worn but it must be a rare guitar its sound is not fantastic but it depends in which mode it is played can any one advise me on it
      Tony Day

Anonymous

Hi Tony,

I had one of these but it got stolen. Mine was black with red edging.

Do you know anything more or have you got a pic?

Tom

Anonymous

Bought mine for £69.
      Nice well looked after 1988 model in Candy Red.

Plays quite well.

This is what it sounds like when I play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etjOkcUruQg

Anonymous
      Anonymous

I bought my Sidewinder Bass from a charity shop in Scotland for £40.00. in 2001 and I had never heard of this brand before. Obviously I had a good look at it in the shop, before deciding to buy it, even though I couldn’t try it out. Happily there were no major problems, and the action, intonation and sound are incredible. One of the tuners rattled and I noted insulation tape had been used to stifle the problem, and I needed to replace the pick up selector switch as it was broken off, but all in all its fine, I should mention the colour, which is a metallic silver/grey, and is in good order for a guitar built in the 70s, I doubt that the guitar was ever gigged, because the frets and other wear areas are OK.
      I have noticed a lot more information is available on this brand now, because I could find nothing when I first got the guitar, although there is still more could be dug up regarding the history of its Welsh roots.

Anonymous

I bought my sidewinder for 99 pounds in cardiff in 1985.Still got the receite! Plays great,is in top condition and my kids now learn guitar on it.

Anonymous

I have a Hohner marlin in metallic red which has the fish inlaid in the 12th fret with black nuts model MF2-1 assembled in Korea I find the neck narrow and the sound is quite mellow compared to my Fender probably due to the thickness of the wood used I paid £65 for it in a second hand shop in Southampton around 1990 so I suppose it was made mid 80’s

Anonymous

Got my charcoal sidewinder brand new in 1988 in York. I had been speaking to a guy at work who had been playing his Strat since the mid-sixties. I told him that I was going to get a Squier Strat, and he offered to come and help me choose. He tried a few different guitars, including a US Strat. His advice was that, unless I was seriously gonna shell out a lot of dosh for a US Strat just for the prestige, I should choose tha Marlin (with twin blade humbucker) instead of the Squier. This I duly did, handed over £150 and I’m still playing the guitar today. Have kept it in original nick apart from a new pickup selector switch last year due to crackle. I’ve just read that it was the UK’s best selling Strat copy for 2 years in the mid-eighties. I’m not sure what the more recent Marlins are like, but I’m looking at building up a collection of 80’s Marlins.

http://planetbotch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/marlin-sidewinder-forgotten-legend.html

Anonymous

I was stationed at york in the 80s bought a marlin loner .£189…thought it was fab but really played awfull snapped top e strings constantly. However today saw a marlin sidewider ….had to have it : / new heads new bridge and dressed frets amazing piece of kit pickups are packed wax so no feed back from them when crqked up .also heavy duty switch. Its dark blue like the loner I had all those years ago.

Anonymous

I was stationed at york in the 80s bought a marlin loner …thkught it was fab but really played awfull snaooed top e strings constantly. However today saw a marlin sidewider ….had to have it : / new heads new bridge and dressed frets amazing piece of kit

Anonymous

Hi guys, I bought a marlin slammer ( strat copy) in the mid 80’s. it cost £99 from a mail order cat. I also got a marlin bass guitar and amp same price.
      I still have some of the paperwork that came with the gear. Marlin offered a range of cheap amps i.e. O.K. for practice. these were made in Korea. The guitars came with instructions which are Headed MUSIMA. this is an eastern european manufacturer supplying east europe and russia. these were cosidered top end in these coutries. I still enjoy playing my marlin slammer which I have upgraded with Good pickups and a Squier neck. I own fender strats but prefer the marlins sound. It may seem rediculous but it has a good strat sound and the action is spot on. Hope this helps in your worthwhile quest in trying to find out more about these excellent budget guitars.

Anonymous

Hi i’m 16 so I have no past beyond ’96 but i bought a second-hand, acoustic 12 string Marlin of ebay for £45 a couple of years ago, and was very pleased with the sound i got and have grown very fond of it , now the action is soso that sadly it is unplayable. I cannot for the life in me find anything about them but all I know is that there is 1 other selling on ebay that looks so alike but is only a 6 string, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250986391035?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
      With mine there is a model number, MF2-4-12 and underneath says, ‘assembled in korea’. and of course the Swordfish logo on the head and on the 12th fret. Can ANYONE lend a hand into what time-period/quality/quantity/ anything really that these things were churned out as? Many thanks Davie

Anonymous

I have just purchased a Marlin electric guitar that looks like a 70’s Gibson ES 335 and wanted to know if anyone has seen one like that and maybe could give me some information or point me in the right direction. I am restoring it and would like information. Thanks for your help

Anonymous

I bought my Marlin acoustic new in
      Dublin circa 1975/6. It cost £180 Irish Pounds
      which was a lot of money back then. It was the
      most expensive guitar in the McCullough Piggotts shop.
      Martin, Gibson, Guild etc. could not be found in Dublin at the time
      so this was the nearest I could find to repalce the lumps of
      firewood I was trying to learn on.
      The Marlin is an exact copy of the Martin D42 model.
      It has all the same neck inlays and bindings. It has a nice
      three piece back. Looks like a couple of pieces of Brazilain
      Rosewood with a slice of Indian Rosewood in the middle.
      Nothing looks laminated from what I can tell.
      The inner label says ‘Made in Japan’.
      After 40/42 years of playing the guitar still sounds, plays, feels
      and looks good. Of course the frets and the fingerboard
      have had some normal repair work, but it’s still a nice guitar to have around the house.

Anonymous

How cool to hear someone else besides me owns one. I think I have the exact model you have from what you describe. Bought mine back in 77 at a pawn shop located outside of the navy base in Chicago as I was stationed there for a short while. Mine has a bit of sentimental history in that I took it everywhere and it’s been to every continent/ocean that we ported and that was a lot of places! It’s still with me and still plays great despite a few imperfections as the top has a slight bow in it raising the action slightly and a few small dings from age. I certainly didn’t baby it and can attest to it’s hardiness. Mine says model number KM 6000 and the serial is 70367. Looks awesome when polished as it has that old patina! If you find out anymore info on where or who made these, please let me know. It can only add to the “sentiment”……thanks and enjoy your guitar!

Anonymous

I have a Marlin model 422 I bought it back in the 60’s second hand for $75. a really good guitar my first one would never part with it.

Anonymous

I’ve got two. A second hand red Marlin Hohner SL500G which i bought for £80 but that had a dodgey switch n nut. And i the other week bought a black Marlin Explorer for £150. They sound nice, but the older one doesnt pick up too well on heavier strings.

Anonymous

: ive recently bought a marlin guitar and dnt knw any thing bout them, help?!plz its red it has a cross strat and telecaster shaped body and an ibanez shaped neck.

Anonymous

i bought a marlin guitar too and wud like someone to email some details of them please thanks Cat

Anonymous

marlin are british made somewhere in cardif there are said to be very good quality for the money they are so cheap because they are made from plywood not solid wood like the more expensive guitars

Anonymous

I’ve got a Slammer and that’s lovely. That was made a while ago, when they still had the marlin on the 12th fret. Since then, Hohner have bought them out and done away with the marlin. They are still marked with the marlin brand however, Some says Marlin by Hohner, still with the fish on the head, but others, more recent ones, just say Marlin in a different font than beore. I have never played one marked with Hohner but I know my Slammer rules and that as well as buying electrics, they make classicals.

Anonymous

marlins are a great guitar and have great sound to follow i have an explorer and the sound rules i reckomend u play it with marshall amps

Anonymous

Hi i have a marlin i got it from my dad it use to be his and its just like angus youngs.

Anonymous

I also bought a marlin guitar it is a sidewinder my dad had it for twenty years and it was a white one and it standed in the sun so now it is a little bit yellow. I also dont know nothing about them. my friend says it is a mark of fender but i think not. email me!

Anonymous

I also have a marlin it’s an electric black with red edgeing it has two humbuckers a locking nut and micro tuners on the tremolo it has red fretboard dots with a shark inlay on the twelth fret i brought this guitar second hand for £60. about 10 years ago and would be interested to find out more about it no one i speak to has heard of them. my guitar does not have great action but has a lovely tone like a gibson and i can honestly say i would not swap my guitar for any other

Anonymous

Hi,

I bought a Marlin guitar the other day and your description is the closest to sounding like mine that I have found. It is basically the same as yours but white with red edging.

Did you ever find out what model it is?

Anonymous

Hey up! That guitar sounds like a Marlin Loaner – I have just bought a left handed version in!!

Anonymous

I just bought a Marlin off eBay. It’s listed as “Marlin Rock-Metal 24 fret Guitar”. I’ve searched and the only other guitars made by Marlin that look the same are listed as the same. It’s a mockingbird shape with a bridge pickup that looks like an EMG and a neck pickup that is an uncovered humbucker. Anyone who can give me more info? I think it was made in 2003 (the serial number begins with 97 and I read somewhere that if you take the first two numbers away from a hundred it will give you the yaer it was made).

Anonymous
      Anonymous

dont know if this will help any one but there is a site i found http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/music/guitars_bass_guitars/bass_guitars_in_general/_review/112555/

Anonymous

ive got a marlin sidewinder (strat copy) it was my dads old guitar he gave it to his mate, and its been hanging on a wall for a couple of years then my dad gave it to me and its a great guitar it has double pick up at the bottom p.s sorry i dont know proper tech terms and 2 single pick ups if some on else has the same guitar tell me because i want to know more ppl who have marlin

Anonymous

Bought a Marlin Sdewinder new about 1987. At that time in the UK they we sold a lot through mail order catalogues. Mine is metalic PInk with a tapped humbucker bridge Pick up. Cost then £125GBP and is an excellent guitar that i cannot fault. It received excellent reviews at the time and was one of the best selling solid electric guitars. It was distributed from Wales but made in the far East.

Anonymous

got mine in 1982 .its a sidewinder and been in the loft for 20 yrs.it’s better than i remember.a bit wibbly wobbly in the neck department and the p/u’s and pots a bit shot.p wonder if it’s worth getting sorted properly.

Anonymous

Ive had a marlin bass for around a year now and i still cant find anything out about it, if you visit my band site http://www.rejectedhalf.tk theres a pic of it. Hope someone can help me out

Anonymous

I have had a Marlin ‘P’ copy for a number of years… the pickups are a bit naff, but the neck is superb. I have a Fender ‘P’ as well but the neck on the Marlin is far superior! I doubt that the body on the Marlin is using any sort of exotic wood as good as the Fender, however I intend to upgrade the Marlins low budget electrics/pickups and I will have a very playable bass guitar 🙂

Marlin are very underrated guitars… some of them were very well made and worth a bit of TLC/upgrade

Anonymous

My marlin is a flying V if there are anyone else with this sort plz email me

Anonymous

Hi i recently bought a marlin guitar from a second hand music shop and i havnt found and official websites about them. im 16 and i think its a great guitar

Anonymous

: ive recently bought a marlin guitar and dnt knw any thing bout them, help?!plz

Anonymous

you’ve just recently bought a marlin guitar ehy u buy a f**** guitar then???

Anonymous

: : ive recently bought a marlin guitar and dnt knw any thing bout them, help?!plz

Anonymous

No clue on the make but I just got a new marlin from a freind of my pops. I can’t find anything but this damn thread on the guitars… anyway it sounds good and hey the price was right. I’d like to know more as well like model, pricing ect.

Anonymous

:I have had a Marlin acoustic for over 20 years, dont know the source, but it was made in Japan, and has given good service for years. If anyone can advise the name of the original makers, please do so.

Anonymous

I too have a Marlin model 515 acoustic, made in Japan, bought in 1979. I can’t find any information about them on the web. It sounds pretty good, looks nice, but the local guitar shop said that if it needs any real work like refretting then I might be better off investing in a new guitar. It took them a while to finally decide that the top is probably laminated so I think this is a higher end cheap guitar. Looks like solid rosewood back and sides though. Is this the late seventies Toyota (including quality and reliability) of the acoustic guitar world? Lots of people get confused when I say it’s a "Marlin", so I think this was a marketing ploy playing off a more famous name. I figure there aren’t too many of them out there because nobody even seems to have heard of the brand and I certainly haven’t seen any others.

Anonymous

Ive got a marlin sidewinder (strat copy) tis a excellent guitar cost me 50quid 2nd hand ( was my first guitar) and since ive customised it a bit and i love it still

Anonymous

Yes b’y. Marlins are the best for playing the Roy Prince theme song. I got mine back in ’68.

Anonymous

I just got a 12 string Marlin. Plays great, sounds great.

Anonymous

i was given a marlin 12 string. do you have any info on these guitars,where they were made etc?????

Anonymous

U sound likea newf i just got a marlin and i love it

Anonymous

Marlin electic guitars were made in wales, I got the budget strat copy from there about 10 years ago but it has since closed. It still plays well apart from 1 pickup is dodgy.

Anonymous

: Marlin electic guitars were made in wales, I got the budget strat copy from there about 10 years ago but it has since closed. It still plays well apart from 1 pickup is dodgy.

Anonymous

: : Ive had a Sidewinder for about 6 years, bought it second hand to leave at work for practising with. I never gig it but it plays well, nice neck,lovely frets, bridge pickup takes your head off, sounds very stratty. Cannot fault it for a cheapo guitar made out of plywood!!

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.