Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Best Stratocaster Copy

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Well, fender strats are a very mixed bunch. As u probably know anything other than custom shop or masterbuilt is going to be dodgy at the best. and if u r buying off the net without actually trying it through a decent amp (marshall, orange, hiwatt or dumble-clone ie ceriatone,) then u r not in the mix.
      It is possible to make your own without being ripped off. The neck is important and should be stable – that rules out Chinese for a start.
      The body – well it is a given without exaggeration that a swamp ash lite is the one to have – look for these on the web!
      The neck – maple of course, but it must be aged properly – look for those and be very discriminating from the supplier.
      The fretboard – maple for bright tones, rosewood for nice sustain, ebony if u want more sustain (ebony is the only wood used on orchestral string instruments for this very reason – nothing else is even contemplated and backed by hundreds of years of practical application.!)
      Pickups – Abigail Ybarra pups, Fender custom shop 69 pups, Australian noiseless pups sorry can’t think of the name based in Qld and used by everyone but they don’t tell u that ie – The Shadows and surf guitarists – these are foolproof and worth every cent – also come with a pickguard if needed.
      Tremelo – ‘Callaham’ brand with steel block – don’t even think about anything else, they are the best.
      Pegs – Gotoh without a doubt the best – 50s type are so cool, but locking variety well regarded too.
      String tree – probably the best type is the fender Button used on early 50s strats – the rest are butterfly types and damn ugly.
      Nuts – well as u probably know plastic will not do it – u have a choice brass for sustain, real bone for the real thing! mammoth ivory if you can get it – even more real than the real thing, and other artificial wannabees (be warned some are ridiculously expensive for what u get.)
      Do not use polyurethane as a coating it seals everything – and does not allow the instrument to breath, which is crucial –
      If u are careful and do your homework – compare prices and quality – this can take a while – do not fall for the music shop make your own spiel which I can guarantee is bullshit.
      You want to make your own Strat copy? then take your time and be sure you have the right pieces.
      You will end up with something approximating a masterbuilt strat if you are careful and diligent – !
      I hope you enjoy the process.

Anonymous

Squiers are not copies.
      I prefer the Indonesian and many of the Chinese Squiers to Fenders. They have perfect workmanship and feel far more like 60s Fenders than modern Fenders do.
      Tokais are fantastic, but hard to find and expensive.
      You can’t go wrong with an Affinity Strat made in Indonesia.

Anonymous

: I want a strat but i cant afford a fender, In your guys opinions what is the best Fender Stratocaster copy out there? Squire, fernandes, etc. My guitar teacher says Turner are brilliant. He has got an original Fender American and says the Turner is just as good. They sell for only £200 in the UK !!!! I’m gonna get one.

Anonymous

Tokai’s are very good,but pricey.Fernandes are well built,stable necks and good tone.

Anonymous

I have found a nice blond maple Fernandes Telecaster. Maple neck body and fretboard. Single coil tone and volume knobs and three way switch. I cannot find a serial number, or any ID. Well engineered. 85% mint, Telecaster copy. Frets well, seems to be a very "sound" guitar. There a couple of belt buckle scratches on the back, but nothing bad. It plays great and looks and feels great. What should it sell for? What is the new guitar selling price on one? (not the "suggested retail price") but what one who shopped, as I do, could really expect to pay for a new one. I can’t find a serial number. It says only FERNANDES , on the peghead logo, then in small case "electronic sound research group". It says Fernandes "MADE IN JAPAN" on the crome back plate at the base of the neck. I figure about $200.00 new. That’s what the pawn shop is asking. there are two owners, one of them thinks $2000 is too cheap. It would help if I knew what they cost new. I like the "axe". I am a name brand fan, Fender martin gibson, but I would make an exception with this piece, I like it, but I don’t want to get ripped off. Can you help? John

Anonymous

: Tokai’s are very good,but pricey.Fernandes are well built,stable necks and good tone. : my favorite giutar is the one Billie Joe Armstrong uses. his blue fender fernandes stratocaster he calls "Blue". if you know what web site i could find it on please notify me.

Anonymous

I heard that its a good idea only to get Fernandes old stuff, cause their new stuff isnt near as good. I think the colour on BJA’s guitar is sonic blue, please notify me if you find where to get one.

Anonymous

get a fender 50s strat, it comes in a blue close to that of bjas sonic blue and has a maple vintage stained fretboard n neck and the standard headstock, then all you needs a seymour duncan jb, guitar is like 600 bucks, pickup is 80

Anonymous

fernandes strat copy…i want one email me if any body knows.

Anonymous

I also owned a Squire Strat and it was great. Squire are owned and QCed by Fender and are finding favour on stage with some players. If you serious about wanting a Fender but can’t afford the price tag then Squire are as close as you can get without the bulging wallet.

Anonymous

: I also owned a Squire Strat and it was great. Squire are owned and QCed by Fender and are finding favour on stage with some players. If you serious about wanting a Fender but can’t afford the price tag then Squire are as close as you can get without the bulging wallet.

Anonymous

By far the best copy of a strat is the Tokia in fact they produced vintage reproductions that were so close to the orginals that the were sued by fender or so I’m told.Great guitar if you can find one.Stevey Ray played one good enough for him good for me!

Anonymous

: By far the best copy of a strat is the Tokia in fact : they produced vintage reproductions that were so close : to the orginals that the were sued by fender or so I’m told.Great guitar if you can find one.Stevey Ray played one good enough for him good for me! absolutely!! The Tokai is the best strat repro made, bar none…

Anonymous

Tokai are fantastic. Unfortunately, people have begun to realise that, in some respects, they are BETTER than Fender and prices are on the up. I don’t think you can go wrong with a Squier. Mine served me well for a couple of years and I loved it. I’ve now got a Mexican and it’s great. You can pick them up second hand quite cheaply. Good luck ( and a fine choice I must say ).

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.