Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Anyone any information on Martin Coletti Guitars

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I have come across a small acoustic guitar with the name Martin Coletti on it. Does anyone know anything about these guitars. Any information would be appreiciated.
    Thanks

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

These were cheap pretty awful Czec made guitars. Name was made up to sound Italian.
      Sold in the UK as a beginners guitar and were so bad many people were put off playing completely by trying to learn on one.
      I have no knowledge of any pre war instruments which might be different however the vast majority I see for sale are Czec made small flat top guitars made in the 50s/60s and are just bad.
      A good example of the appalling junk sold in a struggling UK bankrupted by the second world war by spec inporters as there were few UK made instruments and no US made instruments on the market because of trade restrictions.
      No connection to Martin guitars in the US at all.

Anonymous

recently rescued from an ignominious end at an antiques market post covid clearout,a very nice condition full body jazz style acoustic guitar with”bound”f holes,body and head,single cutaway,all original with plastic pick guard and floating bridge,trapeze tailpiece,lovely vintage woodburst finish,but it seems like the adhesive on the neck/body joint has sucommed to age,i have managed to set it up for presentation but for now i’d describe it as for wall decoration,although it does look the part,information seems pretty vague on these so i’ve no idea of its actual age other than there is an exact example currently listed as pre ww2 on ebay,mine has an ink stamped number inside the body if anybody knows how to decypher it,detailled pics are available on request

Anonymous

My experience exactly the same, except I acquired my Martin Coletti around 1964. I’ve enjoyed reading all the posts. Thanks.

Anonymous

I own one and I like it. I would consider buying another one if anyone is selling.

Anonymous

I have an old Marin Coletti 4 string instrument, slightly larger than a baritone ukelele that I would like to restore. If anyone can help with any information at all, it would be very helpful.

Anonymous

I recently found one in my grandfathers loft, I’m interested in selling thank you if you’re still interested please contact me via email. Best [email protected]

Anonymous

My first guitar, about 11 yrs old, early 70’s. Neck was so warped it cut my young fingers to shreds, almost put me off completely. Glad it didn’t though, I’d have missed out on all the joy of playing, especially when I could finally afford a decent instrument

Anonymous

“I was lucky enough to come upon one in an Edinburgh Junk shop. It’s about 1938, a very plain ‘parlour’ guitar but loud and great tone. I’ve since seen and played on several other pre- war ones and all have great intrinsic quality. From various sources I can tell you this: – Early (pre WW2 ones ) were made in Schonbach by members of the Martin family, of whom CF Martin was a relative (He who emigrated to USA). Schonbach has been in both Czechoslovakia and Germany depending on border changes over time. Mr Coletti was responsible for the visual design, hence ‘Martin Coletti’.”

This above is an example of the balderdash out on the internet. Martin Coletti was one of many brands used by J E Dallas of London- for about 30 years from the early 1930s. The name is entirely fictitious- it has nothing to do with C F Martin and his family and there is no Coletti either. However, the “American Model Guitars” made from the early to late 30s were signed by one “Martin Coletti” which tells you that this information about two families is wrong- the name is made up. However, the guitars made in Schonbach, Czechoslovakia were made by skilled craftsmen using good wood and they were great guitars. World War Two blew this industry sky high as did postwar Communism in Czechoslovakia. The workshops became state owned and made mostly inferior quality guitars that were retailed in the UK at low prices. Most of the craftsmen who were ethnic Germans left for Germany and started again. The 1950s and 60s guitars are nothing like the 1930s guitars, which were superb. J E Dallas had other brands that were made in Schonbach- Radiotone, Ridgemount and Avalon. Other British dealers also imported instruments made in Schonbach and just across the border in Germany- Markneukirchen where C F Martin did come from before going to Austria and on to the USA. I do own 1930s Colettis with the signature and once there was a very good European Guitar site which was closed down by hackers. This had extensive information on this and other Dallas brands and the information was definitive- not a garbled mish mash of conjecture and inaccuracy. Schonbach was in the Austro-Hungarian Empire and became a part of Czechslovakia after World War one. This was the area ceded to Germany in late 1938 because of its ethnic German population. After 1945 it reverted to Czechoslovakia and the German population was expelled and Schonbach was renamed Luby. German makers such as Hofner, Hoer and Framus had all been in Schonbach whether making instruments under their own name- like Hofner or in the workshops and these men/companies started again- in Germany.

Anonymous

I own a 12 string Martin Colleti jumbo. I bought it off a friend in around 1969. Talking to a music shop owner he said that they were sold in Woolworths as well as his shop but he didn’t know that they made a 12 string version. It sounds like a mandolin and hard to tune. When it’s in tune it sounds wonderful.

Anonymous

Although I didn’t own one, when I was living in Hornsey, North London in the 1960s there was a shop in Crouch End which always had a selection of Martin Coletti acoustic guitars. I used to gaze at them through the shop window but never bought one.

Anonymous

My mum and Dad bought me one of these in 1965. I never learned to play because I was one of those kids that though owning one somehow magically made one a musician.

Anonymous

Hi, if the guitar should be still available – I’m interested!

Anonymous

Hi! I have a Martin Coletti jazz Acoustic guitar 1950. Im selling it. In a very good condition. If anyone interested email me for fotos.

Thanks

Anonymous

Hi, if the guitar is still available – I would be interested!

Anonymous

I was lucky enough to come upon one in an Edinburgh Junk shop. It’s about 1938, a very plain ‘parlour’ guitar but loud and great tone. I’ve since seen and played on several other pre- war ones and all have great intrinsic quality. From various sources I can tell you this: – Early (pre WW2 ones ) were made in Schonbach by members of the Martin family, of whom CF Martin was a relative (He who emigrated to USA). Schonbach has been in both Czechoslovakia and Germany depending on border changes over time. Mr Coletti was responsible for the visual design, hence ‘Martin Coletti’.
      Post war, they lost the sources of great timber, and the name was sold out to various manufacturers / retailers. Quality became very variable, from goodish to terrible. (My big bro’s first was one of the latter!)
      I recently tried out a new £4000 Gibson acoustic in a Memphis showroom and am very happy to say my old MC knock spots off it!

Anonymous

I have my Father’s guitar, pre WWII Coletti. I’m looking to trace the origin. Though found some info here, and think it’s the G61c model shown in the Schonbach gallery. Except it has a rather exceptional trapeze.

http://schoenbach.webnode.cz/photogallery/dallas-brands/martin-coletti/photogallerycbm_483904/8/#!

http://audiotools.com/en_mi_dead_j.html

No one seems to know the “Martin” part of the name, though it’s not anywhere on the guitar, only Coletti, and the label inside. I’d like to find the origin of “Martin”, though it’s nothing to do with Martin USA, as far as I can tell.

Cheers, Ray

Anonymous

I was given a Martin Coletti Guitar for my 10th Birthday (1965). It came as a ‘ kit ‘ with a Bert Weedon ‘ Play in a Day ‘ Instruction manual, pitch pipes, case, etc. I still have it, and it is fine although somewhat cosmetically battered by children.
      These were a range of instruments sold via Home Catalogues in the 60’s. One could get basic accoustics up to Electrics,with a range of accessories. Mine came from Empire Stores, but Kays, Grattans, GUS, etc., carried them too. Not expensive but usable, they were aimed a the teenage market.
      I believe they were made in the Eastern Bloc, possibly Checkoslovakia / E Germany.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous

Liz et al – I can’t add any info, but for interest, I’ve got a Coletti 4-string flat-topped tenor guitar bought in my jazz banjo days. It’s been stashed away since a house move, but, from memory, it’s reasonably full-sized, dark sunburst with small ‘snowflake’ (rather than dot) markers, with ‘Coletti’ in script inlaid in the peghead. I put nylon strings on it for quiet ‘while the audience was eating’ playing. If anyone’s interested, I can dig it out and take photos. Cheers

Anonymous

My first guitar (circa 1973) was a small Martin Coletti acoustic. Cost me 1 Pound UK second hand from my sister. It cost £7 new in around 1969 in "Sound Centre" in Cardiff, Wales. It was atrocious. I beat the plywood body to matchwood with a hammer, and made a "Flying V" body from a school desk top, fitted a Shaller pickup near the neck, and sprayed it with blue glitter. This was follwed by a rectangle "Bo Diddley" boddy. Hey it was the 70’s! 🙂 Sold it for around £5 in 1976, and I can’t say i ever missed it. It played and sounded disgusting. it can only be described as a Toy guitar for children, or something non-musicians would hang on the wall as an ornament. Mine was so unplayable it almost put me off guitar, but I battled on such was my desire. My advice? If you don’t want to hang it on the wall, and don’t have a child that you want to discourage from playing the guitar, it would probably make good firewood. Sorry to be so blunt. : I have come across a small acoustic guitar with the name Martin Coletti on it. Does anyone know anything about these guitars. Any information would be appreiciated. : Thanks

Anonymous

I have a Martin Coletti acoustic guitar which I got when I was eight; so that makes it at least 50 years old.

It is one of the best sounding and easiest guitars to play I own and that includes my Gibson, Martin and Fender acoustics and all my custom built classical guitars too!

I have recently been thinking about trying to find a few more of them. All I know about its history is that my parents bought it from a band (Glenn Miller type band) leader for 6 pounds and belived it was made in Germany. Only the Martin Coletti name is on the guitar; there are no other designations on it to identify a model. I would class it as a dreadnought.

I have been playing guitar for 50 years and I consider it a fine instrument.

Peter.

Anonymous

I have one for sale. A 17””. Been through workshop of a master luthier. Everything in order.

Anonymous

I also have a small Martin Coletti acoustic. I understand they were made in the 1920’s/1930’s poss up to 1950’s. not much more known though

Anonymous

I have a 1920/30s Martin Coletti. They were made in Munich until the 50s I think. Email me if you would like some pictures.

Anonymous

: I have a 1920/30s Martin Coletti. They were made in Munich until the 50s I think. Email me if you would like some pictures. Greetings – I have an early f hole arch top bearing the name ‘Colletti’ – have never traced the origin and interested to learn more.It is full size, curved top fingerboard and wider than modern trends.Sunburst finish and was in an original case that opened from the end when first acquired.It was an old intrument when I acquired it at 13 in 1954. Would be very interested in any info you may have. Best Regards, Ian Hedley

Anonymous

Some Martin guitars are valuable, some not, check the model # at there site to see if it’s a good one. : I have come across a small acoustic guitar with the name Martin Coletti on it. Does anyone know anything about these guitars. Any information would be appreiciated. : Thanks

Anonymous

I bought my Martin Coletti guitar for 14 guineas (£14 14shillings) in 1962 when you could buy an ordinary guitar for £5 10shillings. It is the chello type with the “F” holes. As my first wife hated me playing it, it went into my shed in a homemade case for 43 years until her death in 2010. I got it out again and took it down to my local guitar shop to see if it was worth keeping. His words were “I should say so!” He then brought out an identical guitar that he had just finished renovating and was putting it up for sale for £140. I bought a new set of strings for it and now I regularly play it at a session at our local garden centre in Ireland. The action is still great and every other guitarist I meet are very interested in it. As I tell everyone “I am a beautiful guitar player. Only because I play a beautiful guitar!”

Anonymous

What site are you talking about? I have an old Coletti that was my father’d from circa 1930. I’d lopve to know if it has any value… Alex

Anonymous

: Some Martin guitars are valuable, some not, check the model # at there site to see if it’s a good one. : : : I have come across a small acoustic guitar with the name Martin Coletti on it. Does anyone know anything about these guitars. Any information would be appreiciated. : : Thanks I was given a Martin Colletti for my 11th birthday back in 1961 and I recently found an old black and white photo of it. Go to my site at http://www.carsandguitars.co.uk and take a look, Is this the same guitar ? I would be very interested in purchasing another for sentimental reasons….

Anonymous

Rick Parfitt owned one, his second guitar he ever bought,, bought off a guy who was playing in a working man’s club,,

Anonymous

: : Some Martin guitars are valuable, some not, check the model # at there site to see if it’s a good one. : : : : : I have come across a small acoustic guitar with the name Martin Coletti on it. Does anyone know anything about these guitars. Any information would be appreiciated. : : : Thanks : I was given a Martin Colletti for my 11th birthday back in 1961 and I recently found an old black and white photo of it. Go to my site at http://www.carsandguitars.co.uk and take a look, Is this the same guitar ? : I would be very interested in purchasing another for sentimental reasons…. I’ve been looking for information on Martin Coletti guitars for some time as I’ve laid my hands on an old one with a good action. Do you know anything about them?

Anonymous

: : Some Martin guitars are valuable, some not, check the model # at there site to see if it’s a good one. : : : : : I have come across a small acoustic guitar with the name Martin Coletti on it. Does anyone know anything about these guitars. Any information would be appreiciated. : : : Thanks : I was given a Martin Colletti for my 11th birthday back in 1961 and I recently found an old black and white photo of it. Go to my site at http://www.carsandguitars.co.uk and take a look, Is this the same guitar ? : I would be very interested in purchasing another for sentimental reasons….

Anonymous

: : : Some Martin guitars are valuable, some not, check the model # at there site to see if it’s a good one. : : : : : : : I have come across a small acoustic guitar with the name Martin Coletti on it. Does anyone know anything about these guitars. Any information would be appreiciated. : : : : Thanks : : I was given a Martin Colletti for my 11th birthday back in 1961 and I recently found an old black and white photo of it. Go to my site at http://www.carsandguitars.co.uk and take a look, Is this the same guitar ? : : I would be very interested in purchasing another for sentimental reasons…. I own a Martin Coletti American Guitar which I bought at auction in the U.K. c.1980.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.