Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics the value of my Gibson L6S guitar

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Hi, i was wonderin if anyone out there had any idea what my guitar is worth? It is a Gibson L6S serial number 176481 I also have an old Gretsch stack amplifier in mint condition. Anyone out there that can help me out?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Hi. I have an opportunity to buy an l6s for $75. It comes with a 2 watt amp. It is black. The serial# is 00143712. I am posting this because the seller is mentally challenged. I am a player and I have owned a LP and a tele delux. I know this guitar is worth way more than the seller is asking. It has no belt marks or gouges but one of the Grover heads is missing the cap off the back. No dead frets or playability issues with it. I am poor and can only offer $400 for it. I think it is worth more than that and I don’t want to take advantage of the guy. I have done some research on it but the guitar isint here so I don’t know if it is a custom, deluxe or midnite special. Any help out there? Oh yeah, the seller claims it is a “75.

Anonymous

I’ve been reading with interest all of the posts on L6-S’ as I’ve been a fan of these amazing guitars for over 30 years. I have 5 of them and am finally at a point where I feel I can bear to part with at least 3. Here’s what I’ve got: #394775 (74/75?)- blonde with maple neck-dot markers – very nice condition. #502014 (74/75?) black finish, rosewood fretboard, dot markers – near mint. #99136853 (decal so 75-77 – prob. 77), tobacco burst, nice shape. #398689 (75), black finish, rosewood fretboard & trapezoid markers – nice looking from front, buckle wear (pretty bad) on back. This last one is my only string-thru #00167337 & is a blonde w/ rosewood fretboard & dot markers. It’s in very nice shape but bell cover is missing – probably 75 midnight special. Back in the 80’s I became obsessed with purchasing as many as I saw that I could afford (before marriage/children) because I thought they were among the best quality guitars Gibson had that I could afford. If anyone has info. they’d care to add to my descriptions (corrected dates for instance since it’s been awhile since I’ve researched them) or an interest in purchasing, let me know. I just like to discuss these beauties – selling one would just be a perk:)

Anonymous

I have one for sale. 1977 in original hard case. Not been played for 30 years as I’m left handed and I play Fender. The Gibson is right handed and in good condition. Anyone interested??

Anonymous

Hi, I just saw your add from 8/18/13 and was wondering if your guitar is still available for sale? Thank you.

Anonymous

I have an original L6S Custom which I purchased in 1974. Serial #128845 The Bill Lawrence pickups are what makes this axe sing. I have played the crap out of this guitar. It was played about three hours a day for about the first six years I had it. It has been gigged with over a hundred times. I had to replace the original Grovers back in 1980 when one of them broke. The guitar was also refretted circa 1981. The original finish is wore off the fretboard with wear marks along the neck. I have belt buckle wear marks on the back and where my arm comes over the top of the guitar body. I also had the nut changed about two years ago to a graphite nut as the original one had worn out( I am a string bender). I also have a 1972 Gibson Les Paul Custom but I prefer the L6S. Always have gotten great comments on it’s sound. I saw Carlos Santana in the summer of 1973 at Merriweather Post Pavilion outside of DC and he was playing an L6S. I mainly play Fenders now due to the type of band I’m in but still pull out the L6S when I need some “balls”. I saw one recently, I think a ’79, sell for around $1100 here on craigslist here in Pittsburgh, it looked like it had barely been played. Mine has character. LOL

Anonymous

Hello, I saw your post about your L6-S and your replacing the Grovers. My 74/75 L6-S also has, what I believe to be the original Grover tuners. They do not have Gibson stamped on them. Do you recall if your original ones were stamped Gibson or not? I have someone insisting mine are not original, but I’ve seen quite a few pics of thus guitar with the same tuners. In fact I’ve not seen any L6-S with Grovers stamped Gibson. I would love to be able to confirm this. Thanks. Terry

Anonymous

As I mentioned in an earlier post back in 11/2004… I bought my 1976 Gibson L6-S “Custom” new from Alamo Music here in San Antonio, TX…and it is still all original…with the original case with the purple fur lining… Mine is the Tobacco Burst, Bill Lawence Pickups, and the 6-position rotary (chicken head) knob… It came with the “Grover” Tuners, and I have seen several other early to mid 70’s L6-S guitars and they all had the “Grover” Tuners as-well… My mid-70’s Gibson Les Paul’s both have Tuners stamped with “Gibson Deluxe” on them… The L6-S “Custom” is noted for its six way rotary selector switch, complete with “chicken head” pointer knob. Starting with switch position #1, in the most counter-clockwise position, the available pickup switching options are as follows: 1. Both pickups, in series 2. Neck pickup, alone 3. Both pickups, in parallel 4. Both pickups, parallel out of phase, with the neck pickup’s bass response restricted thought a series capacitor. 5. Bridge pickup, alone 6. Both pickups, series out of phase. The capacitor in the #4 position gives a fuller tone than the otherwise very nasal out of phase tone. The capacitor serves to limit the low end response of the neck pickup, and also phase delays the signal from that pickup, resulting in a fuller tone, not too unlike the #2 and #4 switch positions on a Fender Stratocaster guitar. Note that these switching options are for the original early to mid 70’s L6-S models with the sealed ceramic Bill Lawrence Humbuckers.

Anonymous

I saw your post concerning the L6S SN# 128845. Just wanted to chime in because I have two L6S Serialized L6S Guitars and have owned and played them since the 70’s when I had a country band. One of my L6S guitars has the SN ## 128855 which is the 10th guitar after yours was made. I thought that was unique. My other L6S is SN# 177053. I play them every day and have never changed any parts on the guitars from the time I bought them in the 70’s. Unfortunately their worth has yet to be commensurate with their great sound and playability. I do not believe I could ever sell either one of them. I no longer play in a band but I play every night here at home. Heh Still Country. have a good one.

Anonymous

I bought my L6S in 1978 and love it! Still got it and it plays as great as the day I picked it up. I bought it new for $410.00 and I see Gibson has reissued it. Mine does not have the 6 position switch, just 2 HB’s and a 3 way switch that I prefer. I like them simple and usually only play the bridge PU anyway. Anyone have an idea what this axe is worth now? Gibson didn’t stamp the SN very well on the headstock so I can’t read it and I’ve lost all my origanl paperwork. Any help will be appreciated.

Anonymous

I have a midnight special also in 100% 0riginal from 75 mint and Ive been told its worth about a grand and strangeky enough the original gibson hardcase is worth about 400 if you have it also

Anonymous

: I have a midnight special also in 100% 0riginal from 75 mint and Ive been told its worth about a grand and strangeky enough the original gibson hardcase is worth about 400 if you have it also

Anonymous

According to Vintage Guitar price guide, they go for around 750.00. But Ive sen them sold for around 800.00 with the case. It mainly goes by what color and such. Rare colors tend to bring in more.

Anonymous

: What colors are considered rare? I have a black in great condition and black and sort of silver/green sunburst.

Anonymous

Yo. Interesting reading dudes! I have an old Gibson L6s also … and yes, I almost never see anyone out there playing one either. It certainly kicks. My has been hot-rodded (for good our bad?). It is definately not orginal material! The original pickups are gone and replaced with two semore duncan single coils run in series … the five position swith is also gone and replaced with another tone rotary potentiomiter … it has a "fender-strat-like" five position swith installed for pick-up selection along with an onboard phase shifter controled by an additonal three postion switch – baby, these last two unusual switches working together smash out some radical voicings! Also the entire fret board has been reworked and has "Nashville" fat frets installed in all 22 frets. The guitar cooks and sounds great with lots of distortion. The one downside is that the original humbucking pickups are gone. I have had this beast since 1982 (purchased for $250). Also of note: the "Nashville" fat frets make the string action outragiously fast, smooth, and a total blast to play. Please update me further with your experiences …

Anonymous

I had one from 1981 – 1984. It was gray/smoke that faded into a black outline; beautiful looking guitar. It had a big chip out of the back of the head – if anyone’s seen it, please let me know – I’m curious where it ended up. I traded it in for an ES-335, because the L6 wouldn’t intonate properly. I have a Les Paul now, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I believe I bought the L6S used for about $400. It was a beautiful looking guitar, the best looking one I’ve had.

Anonymous

Hi, I also have an L6-S. Tobacco finish with some mods. It was my first electric back in 1979. I am getting ready to have it set up and straightened out because I changed the tailpiece, nut and bridge pickup. I will never sell it even if I am completely broke. From what I understand Bill Lawrence designed the electronics on it with the 5 position switch. To allow just about any sound from a single coil to a full humbucker. Love to find out more about it.

Anonymous

: Hi, i was wonderin if anyone out there had any idea what my guitar is worth? It is a Gibson Les Paul serial number 70548217. Anyone out there that can help me out?

Anonymous

: Hi, i was wonderin if anyone out there had any idea what my guitar is worth? It is a Gibson L6S serial number 176481 I also have an old Gretsch stack amplifier in mint condition. Anyone out there that can help me out? It’s worth about 500.00 in near mint condition. To be sure, make sure it’s got the 24 fret fingerboard with duel humbuckers and a floating bridge. If it’s got string through anchoring and a bolt on neck, it’s worth about 375.00 in really good condition. I don’t think it’s that model, though, because the serial number indicates the ’74 model. Gibson serials are sometimes hard to figure out. Can’t help you with the stack. Sorry.

Anonymous

: Hi, i was wonderin if anyone out there had any idea what my guitar is worth? It is a Gibson L6S serial number 176481 I also have an old Gretsch stack amplifier in mint condition. Anyone out there that can help me out? Matt…KEEP THE GUITAR! I love em! They are very hard to come by and are quickly rising in price as a vintage instrument. Type Gibson 6Ls into one of your search engines and see what comes up on a search or type in Gibson Guitars for a search then go to their archives. For the Gretsch…go to http://www.gretschpages.com/ You might find some info there on your amp. Guitarguy

Anonymous

I’m in the market for a 6-LS. do you have and photos of it? Is if for sale? : : Hi, i was wonderin if anyone out there had any idea what my guitar is worth? It is a Gibson L6S serial number 176481 I also have an old Gretsch stack amplifier in mint condition. Anyone out there that can help me out? : Matt…KEEP THE GUITAR! I love em! They are very hard to come by and are quickly rising in price as a vintage instrument. Type Gibson 6Ls into one of your search engines and see what comes up on a search or type in Gibson Guitars for a search then go to their archives. : For the Gretsch…go to http://www.gretschpages.com/ : You might find some info there on your amp. : Guitarguy

Anonymous

According to the serial number your L6s was manufactured in 1973 since it has a low 6 digit number. I have seen these guitars on ebay go between $700 and $800 buckaroos. These things are becoming a vintage item and I believe within the next 5-10 years they will be easily worth twice that much. This guitar was by far an under rated and under priced instrument. In my opinion there near the same quality as a standard Les Paul for that era and in some ways have an advantage espicially with the weight being light and the neck built for 24 frets instead of 22. Don’t get rid of it. You’ll regret it.

Anonymous

I have a Gibson L6S (Serial# 00143367) with oringinal non-bolted single piece neck and head…as well as the original Grover Tuning Keys, Hummbucking Pickups, 6-way switch, floating bridge and Gibson Hardcase…Fret board and neck are in perfect condition, as is all of this L6S…Gold-n-Black body, Neck and Head with Gold Lettered "Gibson" Log on head… I have been a guitar nut since I was a teen-kid in the 60’s…Have owned some of the neater guitars during my 60’s-70’s…in the late 60’s I bought a couple original Ventures-Mosrite guitars, a Single Pickup Rickenbacker Electric and a Gray Rickenbacker Amp, then there was the Very-First Electric Ovation Models, which ’67 I played with a garage band member named Ladd Gurley, who’s Dad was one of the founders of Ovation Guitars and Amps… From there I bought a Gibson GS, Melody-Maker, Fender Telecaster and a Stratocaster… I also had an original Ampeg (Blue Box-Single Speaker-Inversion Head)Tube Amp… In my later years bought a Les Paul and re-issue Strat… Wish I had them all back…but one thing for sure, my L6S is one of the best guitars I have ever played…the sound, action and look is astonishing…Les Paul, Strats and Tele have there places in great music sound, but the L6S is just so sweet to play any type of music…you just can’t beat it without buying 6 different high-class quality guitars… I have had numerous musicians want to buy my L6S for some pretty big bucks…so much so that I have to say I was temped…very temped… So those of you that have an original L6S…it is worth more than the market reveals… Gibson was to make a re-issue from what I heard a few years back…not sure of that materialized… I hope not…because there is nothing like having the real McCoy… Enjoy… BZ…

Anonymous

: : Hi, i was wonderin if anyone out there had any idea what my guitar is worth? It is a Gibson L6S serial number 176481 I also have an old Gretsch stack amplifier in mint condition. Anyone out there that can help me out? : Matt…KEEP THE GUITAR! I love em! They are very hard to come by and are quickly rising in price as a vintage instrument. Type Gibson 6Ls into one of your search engines and see what comes up on a search or type in Gibson Guitars for a search then go to their archives. : For the Gretsch…go to http://www.gretschpages.com/ : You might find some info there on your amp. : Guitarguy Hi my name is nathan and I have L6s too. Your actually one of the very few people ive seen to have one. and i have been lookin pretty hard. Thier is something different with mine though. most Ive seen have a black headstock. Mine is natural straight from Gibson no changes ever to it. All original. If you find out anymore about them please e-mail me.Thanx

Anonymous

I have one I bought in 1975, It is a Special Guitar shop

Anonymous

Hi, I also have an L5S and was wondering if anyone can tell me where the serial # is located. I understand it’s a small black, purple and white rectangular label. I am hoping it’s not missing. Thanx.

Anonymous

: Hi my name is nathan and I have L6s too. Your actually one of the very few people ive seen to have one. and i have been lookin pretty hard. Thier is something different with mine though. most Ive seen have a black headstock. Mine is natural straight from Gibson no changes ever to it. All original. If you find out anymore about them please e-mail me.Thanx Hi Nathan! If your L6-S Deluxe has a natural headstock & the word "Gibson" is in black, you actually have a Gibson "Midnight Special"! This was a limited edition of the L6-S Deluxe during 1975 only. I used to have one of these myself. I missed it so much that I bought another L6-S… A Custom version with factory cherryburst finish. I’ll never sell it… it’s gorgeous.

Anonymous

In 1975 I bought My first L 6 S. It was a natural finish with a black head stock. At the same time my friend bought a Midnight Special. It was basically an L 6 S with out the vari tone switch and it was finished in a deep purple metal flake. Bill lawrence did design the pick ups, but on a basic L 6 S the switching is basically a standard Gibson Varitone set up. The rarest color on these seems to be the Silver burst that they used after 1980. Also for a short time Santana used a L6S until he had a falling out with Gibson and switched to the Yamaha. These guitars are excellent players instruments, but for some reason the collectors don’t give them a high resale value. They do some great though. Hope all this helps any one.

Anonymous

Yes, I have an early one too and I love it, it can do everything! Keep it, but don’t stop playing it…

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.