Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Mann electric guitars

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I need information on a 1970’s Mann electric guitar. Where can I get this information? I know they exist and other people have them. I need to know where this information is hidden. Thanks in advance.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

i own a mann aj-688 with neck thru body …this guitar was in my collection still 10 years till i picked it up last week just to fool around ….Man this axe is such a jem…neck is fat with a 7 radius and a longer neck like the stratocaster ….also the strat bridge….plays better than my gibsons and the pick ups are great too ….they sound open….i need to change the star like machine heads…for grover and this guitar is now on my number one no joke….

Anonymous

I bought this guitar in the early 70’s and it still works good and has a great sound. I didn’t like a 12 string until I played this one. It looks just like a Ibanez double neck guitar. I don’t know what its worth on the open market but I wouldn’t sell it anyway I’ve had it too long.

Anonymous

I understand exactly what your talking about, as I work at vintage guitar and repair shop in So Cal and we sold a Mann like that a couple years ago for two
      thousand, one hundred dollars. I thought my boss was crazy but it sold quickly to a collector. Boy was I surprised! After that I’ve been doing research on
      lawsuit era guitars and trying to find my own. Hard to believe some of these Japanese made copies sell for as much as or more than the actual Les Paul’s
      they are copying. I keep searching local classifieds and Craigslist. Eventually I’ll find one. Thanks for all the info guys.

Anonymous

I have a Mann AJ 688 from 80’s.
        I friggin love the thing.
        Sounds and plays great.
        I took the original volume and tone knobs off, however and put shotgun shell ones on, though I still have the original knobs.
        Everything else on the git is original.
        here.
        mines on the left.
        http://www.mannguitars.com/catalogs/80s/page7.png

Anonymous

Mann was the name that Ibanez started building under when they were being sued by gibson and fender for making replica’s of the top guitars, The authorities were
      seizing the Japanese shipments and sawing the headstocks off of guitars by the boat load. Ibanez did this to protect themselves from the lawsuit and preserve the
      main company name. When they lost the lawsuit Mann was forced to shut down and the inventory was confiscated and destroyed. Because of this the Mann
      versions Are very rare and hard to come by, Especially a set neck and a solid neck that’s one piece, (not a laminated fretboard). With brass fret markers etc….
      Even to this day, try getting an Ibanez case or guitar into Canada for example…….. Enter Mann, they were the simple answer to get these guitars into Canada and
      other countries as well. The Authorities got smart to that in The USA though and confiscated both the Ibanez and Mann versions but the Mann versions were rare in the US to begin with…. That brings the value of the set neck version up through the roof here. I have sold a couple of rare ones at auction in the USA for over
      two grand, but that’s in mint condition with original case and paperwork.

Anonymous

Hi There: I know your post is quite old, but if you are still looking for one of those rare Mann guitars, I have mine for sale in northern Canada.

Anonymous

Mann was the name that Ibanez started building under when they were being sued by gibson and fender for making replica’s of the top guitars, The authorities were seizing the Japanese shipments and sawing the headstocks off of guitars by the boat load. Ibanez did this to protect themselves from the lawsuit and preserve the main company name. When they lost the lawsuit Mann was forced to shut down and the inventory was confiscated and destroyed. Because of this the Mann versions Are very rare and hard to come by, Especially one with a set neck. The solid type neck that’s one piece, (not a laminated fretboard). With brass fret markers. I’ve seen a couple of these go at auction to avid collectors for up to $2,500.00 USD.
      Being that the lawsuit era Mann guitars are indeed very rare.

Anonymous

I’ve got a lovely old Mann electric. It’s a thru neck with the most beautiful walnut body. It’s obviously a very high quality guitar, but i can’t find anything about Mann. It was bought in Glasgow from a guy who brought it to Scotland from Canada.

Anonymous

I just baught a Mann 12 string acoustic, and i’m just wondering anyone has any ifo one these.I can’t seem to find anything anywhere. thanx

Anonymous

We have a Mann strat copy, with a red body, white pickguard, and maple neck and fingerboard. The body is laminated wood. The pickups are quite microphonic and punchy, and everything works well. The neck is fat and highly playable…it’s a fun guitar. No serial number. Mann guitars were probably built in Japan by a manufacturer that sold guitars to distributors that resold them under several names. That’s my theory. It might be worth checking under other names, such as Teisco, Kent, etc. Good luck in your research.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.