Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Takamine 12 string guitars (the martin lawsuit models)

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Hi there, I am currently in the process of possibly making a deal for a Takamine EF-385 which is from the ’70’s or ’80’s with the martin style headstock. I currently have a ’95 EF381c model which sounds absolutely wonderful through a PA but truely, and honestly, doesn’t have any balls when played acoustically. I have heard that the older ones are more suited in this area, for some reason. can anyone give me any accurate details as to the pros and cons of the new and old Taks, more specifically the pros and cons of the old EF385 and the newer ones? I am seriously considering either one, but ofcourse the old Tak is at a significantly lower price. any thoughts guys? thanks a lot!

Related News:
    Five Tempting 12 String Electric Guitars

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

First 12 String I ever owned – bought it new – still play the hell out of it – I wish I had the 6 string version too.

Anonymous

: Hi there, I am currently in the process of possibly making a deal for a Takamine EF-385 which is from the ’70’s or ’80’s with the martin style headstock. I currently have a ’95 EF381c model which sounds absolutely wonderful through a PA but truely, and honestly, doesn’t have any balls when played acoustically. I have heard that the older ones are more suited in this area, for some reason. can anyone give me any accurate details as to the pros and cons of the new and old Taks, more specifically the pros and cons of the old EF385 and the newer ones? I am seriously considering either one, but ofcourse the old Tak is at a significantly lower price. any thoughts guys? thanks a lot! Dear Darcy, I have a F-385 12. I purchase it in 1970 for $175.00 w/hard case. I should have bought a dozen. I believe the’re valued at approx. $350.00 to $400.00. I have a friend that has a Martin 12 with a "V" neck design. The two guitars are similar,but the Tak. is not a Martin for shure. But the Tak. does’nt cost big money. If you find a F-385, make shure you check out the saddle and that it’s not tilting or pulling up, causing the deck to belly. Also, I would recomend (aswithall 12s)you use light strings, tune down to D and capo up to E. To prevent this common problem. My friends tell me my Tak. 12 is one of the best sounding 12’s they’ve played. With very low action and great intonation. As for the newer models…you know more than I. Good Luck!

Anonymous

: Hi there, I am currently in the process of possibly making a deal for a Takamine EF-385 which is from the ’70’s or ’80’s with the martin style headstock. I currently have a ’95 EF381c model which sounds absolutely wonderful through a PA but truely, and honestly, doesn’t have any balls when played acoustically. I have heard that the older ones are more suited in this area, for some reason. can anyone give me any accurate details as to the pros and cons of the new and old Taks, more specifically the pros and cons of the old EF385 and the newer ones? I am seriously considering either one, but ofcourse the old Tak is at a significantly lower price. any thoughts guys? thanks a lot!

Anonymous

I cant comment too much on the model in particular. However I am the lucky owner of an F 370 6 string made in 77. It has the martin headstock and is a copy of a D 28 I think. It is to die for quite frankly, and I wouldn’t swap it for the world. Unless you are super pedantic and fussy, I suggest you will be very happy with your purchase should you go ahead. They have a neck to die for !!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.