Takamine 12 string guitars (the martin lawsuit models)

Posted by Darcy Chubbs on Thu, 01/16/03 - 01:15:45.

Hi there, I am currently in the process of possibly making a deal for a Takamine EF-385 which is from the '70's or '80's with the martin style headstock. I currently have a '95 EF381c model which sounds absolutely wonderful through a PA but truely, and honestly, doesn't have any balls when played acoustically. I have heard that the older ones are more suited in this area, for some reason. can anyone give me any accurate details as to the pros and cons of the new and old Taks, more specifically the pros and cons of the old EF385 and the newer ones? I am seriously considering either one, but ofcourse the old Tak is at a significantly lower price. any thoughts guys? thanks a lot!

Related News:
Five Tempting 12 String Electric Guitars

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Takamine 12 string guitars (the martin lawsuit models)

: Hi there, I am currently in the process of possibly making a deal for a Takamine EF-385 which is from the '70's or '80's with the martin style headstock. I currently have a '95 EF381c model which sounds absolutely wonderful through a PA but truely, and honestly, doesn't have any balls when played acoustically. I have heard that the older ones are more suited in this area, for some reason. can anyone give me any accurate details as to the pros and cons of the new and old Taks, more specifically the pros and cons of the old EF385 and the newer ones? I am seriously considering either one, but ofcourse the old Tak is at a significantly lower price. any thoughts guys? thanks a lot!

I cant comment too much on the model in particular. However I am the lucky owner of an F 370 6 string made in 77. It has the martin headstock and is a copy of a D 28 I think. It is to die for quite frankly, and I wouldn't swap it for the world. Unless you are super pedantic and fussy, I suggest you will be very happy with your purchase should you go ahead. They have a neck to die for !!

: Hi there, I am currently in the process of possibly making a deal for a Takamine EF-385 which is from the '70's or '80's with the martin style headstock. I currently have a '95 EF381c model which sounds absolutely wonderful through a PA but truely, and honestly, doesn't have any balls when played acoustically. I have heard that the older ones are more suited in this area, for some reason. can anyone give me any accurate details as to the pros and cons of the new and old Taks, more specifically the pros and cons of the old EF385 and the newer ones? I am seriously considering either one, but ofcourse the old Tak is at a significantly lower price. any thoughts guys? thanks a lot!

Dear Darcy,
I have a F-385 12. I purchase it in 1970 for $175.00
w/hard case. I should have bought a dozen. I believe
the're valued at approx. $350.00 to $400.00.
I have a friend that has a Martin 12 with a "V" neck
design. The two guitars are similar,but the Tak.
is not a Martin for shure. But the Tak. does'nt cost
big money. If you find a F-385, make shure you check
out the saddle and that it's not tilting or pulling
up, causing the deck to belly. Also, I would recomend
(aswithall 12s)you use light strings, tune down to
D and capo up to E. To prevent this common problem.
My friends tell me my Tak. 12 is one of the best
sounding 12's they've played. With very low action and
great intonation. As for the newer models...you know
more than I.
Good Luck!

f 385 takamine

First 12 String I ever owned - bought it new - still play the hell out of it - I wish I had the 6 string version too.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.