Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics 1976 Alvarez DY74 Yairi: Should I buy it?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I just found an Alvarex Yairi cutaway DY74 dated December 10th, 1976. How much is this guitar worth? It has some worn away finish on the back of the fretboard where the palm of the left hand sets. The lacquer is thin and in good condition. Several pick dent/scrapes on the top of the guitar. The bridge is in good shape. Snowflake mother-of-pearl inlays on the neck. All seams are in good shape, no cracks or buzzes. It does fret-out easily. I may be able to cut back on the fretting noise by adjusting the truss rod. How can I find out how much this guitar is worth?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I have owned and played a lot of guitars over the years and handled and played some really expensive ones. For the dollar spent, it is really hard to beat and Alverez Yari. Personally, I like the sound better than any acoustic Martin. For my taste, comparative Martin’s sounds too “tinny”. A well aged Yari has a full, rich tone & is the preference of many a bluegrass or traditional picker. My late brother was an extensively accomplished artist & usually played high-end Taylor’s. Even he appreciated the sound/tone of a Yari.

Anonymous

I picked up an Alvarez Yairi DY-55 (1978 build) for about $400 at a shop in Massachusetts in 1982 after my Guild D45 got stolen. I thought the Guild was sweet but the Alvarez made up for the loss and sounded fuller and richer with age but without the same acoustic projection that Guild delivers. It’s easier on my fingers too since the action was low without fret buzz. Popping a bridge pick-up in leveled the sonic playing field versus the Guild and it’s still my first choice to this day. I bought a used Taylor 615 a few years ago and it’s nice in it’s own sound but I still like the Alvarez better for it’s warmth. Whether you’re playing a gig or to the cat, the instrument is half the quality of the show and the Alvarez always did it’s part for my show.

Anonymous

I bought a DY-74, in 1975, from Danny’s Music Box (?), in El Paso, TX,G for $450, which included a hard shell case. I sold it about 5 years later to a young Army buddy, at Ft. Bliss, who played far better than me. I wish I still had it. It was a beauty. I wish I had kept it.

Anonymous

I bought a DY-74, in 1975, from Danny’s Music Box (?), in El Paso, TX,G for $450, which included a hard shell case. I sold it about 5 years later to a young Army buddy, at Ft. Bliss, who played far better than me. I wish I still had it. It was a beauty. I wish I had kept it.

Anonymous

I’ve been playing Alvarez Yairi DY-74 for years and it’s a favorite. Sweeter and rarer to find one in good condition … 74S in particular. Hand-crafted by master K Yairi and a small team back in 1977. (There is a YouTube video showing the team.) Wood ages well and the quality of craftsmanship exceeds many significantly higher priced axes (Martin). It deserves recognition when made by MASTER Kazuo Yairi and certainly increases in value … probably 1200+.

Anonymous

I was playing my guitar, which a few have tried to buy from me, and suddenly wondered just what it may be worth. That’s how I found this thread. I think I paid about $450 bucks back then (which seemed a lot in 1977). in hindsight, I’m very glad I bought it and have never had a reason to part with it. The very first response to this string caught my eye and I had to see if anyone else felt this way – seems that they don’t. So “Jon – Sat, 02/01/2003 – 22:18”, I think its safe to say you don’t know jack squat about guitars, and I would love to know your age.

To anyone who has a chance to buy one of these … don’t worry about its age. Mine is just as sweet as it ever was (if not better) and is now at least 40 years old.

Anonymous

About 500, purchased new in 1980

Anonymous

My husband played a dy74 and it sounded great. He is thinking about buying it. He has been playing bluegrass since he was a child. He really likes it

Anonymous

Best acoustic for the money you can buy. I have played and owned several of them. probably the only way you will get a bad one is if someone tried doing a setup or something and messed it up. Even then a qualified tech can probably revive it. I’m always looking for another Alvarez Yairi at a reasonable price to grab. I know this post is way late but I just wanted prospective A-Y players to know the facts.

Anonymous

I bought my 1978 dy74 about 12 yrs ago. Buy now eBay $600. No regrets. Many a guitar player has said its the best they’ve played. And would gladly buy it from me if I were inclined to sell.

Anonymous

Its not worth a crap… age doesn’t make a normal guitar like an Alvarez any better, it makes it worse…age only works with good condition lez pauls and strats….and rare ones at that. Don’t waste your money. trust me

Anonymous

He doesnt know shit from whistles mate. yairi is an amazing guitar. Alverez makes cheaper guitars, and the yairi ones which are awesome. check the site out at alverezgtr.com, see who uses them, and then you’ll know whats up. Personally i hate the dead, but im sure they can afford any guitar, so why use a yairi? they use the finest wood,blah, blha blah…. and yes age makes a difference in the sound. I saw a new version for about 800 USD.

Anonymous

A little bit late on a response here. I stumbled upon this site and this post looking for info on my guitar. I’ve got a 1983 Yairi DY74 that I bought in ’85. It sounds sweeter than when I first played it. Wonderful action. I’ve been using Martin SP Bronze strings. Brilliant tone. I hope you bought the guitar. You won’t regret it. I’d be curious as to what mine is worth. It’s in great shape. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks. Dave

Anonymous

Your Yairi is worth about $500-600 if in excellent condition, although it’s sound is better than most $ 1200 guitars and I wouldn’t advise parting with it. Yair sure can build them (I own 2).

Anonymous

Sad to read the previous follow-up. Yairi guitars are very good and do age well. It is all in the selection of woods and Yairi handmade guitars like the DY 74 are excellant and a great value because people like the previous underrate them. Which is fine for those of us who like the quality of Yairis. I should know I own 5 of them – and a DY 74 is one of them…. buy it if you can.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.