Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics yamaki guitars

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Does anyone out there know anything about yamaki guitars? I bought one long ago for 1. Best guitar I ever played. Can’t find any info on them though. Would love to know something about my guitar

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Looks like and sounds like a Martin D45 with mother of pearl all around the sound hole and the complete outside of the front and yamaki headstock as well as 3,5,7,9,12,and 15th fret abolone shell markers. Brazilian Rosewood split back and sides and spruce top. Really load full bright and deep sound. Can’t seem to find any info on this model. Great guitar anyone know anything about it?

Anonymous

Good day to everyone.
      I just bought a Yamaki AY476S 12 string acoustic with original case and guitar strap off Facebook Marketplace.
      Unfortunately, the bridge is starting to lift after 20+ years of dry storage.
      It is in really good shape other than that. Any idea of the value of this guitar??
      I want to know if it’s worth it to get the bridge professionally fixed.
      Any information on this guitar would be helpful (date of manufacture/original sell price/etc.).

Anonymous

I found my Yamaki Cherry Burst B 40 in a Garbage Can, yes a Garbage Can. Rare as Hens Teeth especially the Cherry Sunburst Model.
      This guitar need a new Nut, new strings, cleaning, some saddle bridge work.
      It is the best sounding guitar I have in my Collection and it was Free.
      I have had this guitar for say 30 + years now, and it’s like brand new except for a few dings that it came with.M5

Anonymous

I have 2 Yamakis. The 1st is a 1970’s YD-35, serial number 230322, which is a Martin copy D-35. I bought it early 1980’s from a music shop in England for £45 and is still in fantastic condition though a bit quieter than my Martin 00028. I have just seen an advert Feb 2021 for the same style guitar as mine for sale with the serial number 230321, This one is for sale in Australia. My other Yamaki is a 12 string custom which I bought off eBay in 2016 from USA. only has a number inside which is quite faint. The advert said it was a 9/10 guitar but when it reached me there was a good bit of bellying and someone had tried to take off the neck as there was a big indentation where a neck removal jig had been applied. This 12 string still sounds good though. Yamaki’s are good sounding instrumenst if set up righ and I wouldn’t like to part with minet

Anonymous

I now have 2 Yamakis. The first is a 1971 deluxe folk A-333 14 fret absolute beauty. Sound is amazing and it is in very fine shape. I just picked up an A-133S 12 fret (looks like maybe a 00 style) This one is a slot head, but not a classical guitar. Im not sure of the year, but the lady I bought it from said her husband had bought it before they were married in 1968. Not sure that works from some of the history of these guitars that I have read, but found a facebook page dedicated to Yamakis/Diaons. Not sure if it has Jacaronda/Bazilian/east indian rosewood sides and back but it had stunning sound. Need to set it up and get some new strings on it. Hope this page grows a bit and more can be learned about these wonderful instruments.

Anonymous

I bought a Yamaki 12 string model AY 431 in 1968. Only them and Yamaha were imported from Japan at the time. The Yamaki was $125 and the Yamaha was $800, a lot of money back then. I played it for over 40 yrs, and it’s in like new condition. I quit playing it about 10 yrs ago as it didn’t have an electric pick-up which I am now putting in it. I’m almost 80 and I perform over 50 shows a year playing retro 40’s, 50’s. 60’s music some of which I like to use the 12 string for. A great quality guitar….doesn’t take a back seat to Gibson or Martin and others. As the saying goes “it ain’t the guitar it’s the picker”

Anonymous

Hi Gord. I found a 12 String Yamaki in a local pawn shop. You still have yours? Kind of a challenge to try and locate much info from any ‘official’ Yamaki website regarding serial # info. In any event, the serial # is AY470. It is very plane with no special binding etc. I have several guitars but no 12 String. You recommend this one? Thanks Gord, Mark.

Anonymous

I have a 1972 Yamaki 12 String that I bought in Champaign, Il. in 1973 when I was stationed near there in the USAF. It is No. 215. Still plays fine. I am interested in selling.

Anonymous

Hello. I have a Yamaki Bruno Y50 I inherited. I was wondering if anyone had an idea what it may be worth. I have a few pictures I could send. Thanks for your help!!

Anonymous

I have a Yamaki AY335S I bought new in the 70s. It is a beautiful guitar in all respects. I don’t see this model mentioned on various forums, I was wondering how many were made and if it was one of the more rare ones.
      Thanks

Anonymous

Hi all,

I have a Yamaki Y 30 Classical Guitar. the serial # is 3470. Worked all summer at a Roy Rogers to purchase it. Bought it at a music store in Manassas, VA in 1975. Paid 150.00 or so. Anybody know anything about it?

Anonymous

did you get any info on your Y30? i just got one last week… its a low serial number and has a big capital letter “S” next to the “BRUNO” word on the left hand side… have only seen pics of ONE online… and nothing with a pic of the back of the neck, which mine oddly, has a big ebony looking blended stripe (making the back of the nexk look two-toned) from half way down the neck up through the entire headstock…

Anonymous

I bought a Yamaki Deluxe Folk Guitar Model AY331 from Long McQuade in Toronto in 1972. It looks like a Martin D35 or D28. I’m not
      sure which Martin model it is a copy of but I’m pretty sure it’s one or the other. It’s in like new condition and there isn’t a mark on it.
      It has a spruce top with rosewood sides and book matched rosewood back. If anybody knows which Martin it is a copy of I would greatly appreciateyou letting me know…..Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Over the past few years, momentum has been building on the Yamaki train, via social media. Nobody is desputing how nice the Yamakis where and are but I have become aware of a lot of fake, counterfit, rebranding of many unknown guitars to cash in on the distinct Yamaki name. Beware, collectors. Q

Anonymous

I have a model AY376S serial number 221106
      Could someone please tell me what year this guitar is and what value it might be. It is in very good condition except for the fogy areas

Anonymous

I bought aYamaki AY333S today for 250 in great shape.Serial number is 50508.Any info would be great.

Anonymous

Hi Rick,
        Maybe somehow we can help one another out ?
        I have a Yamaki 6 string in amazing condition.
        The model number is AY376S and the serial number is 221106.
        From what I can understand the S means that it is solid spruce on the top not laminated which of course is a really good thing.
        What I’m hoping that maybe you can figure out is what year my guitar was made and the site that you found that out – Im not having any luck with google ?

Anonymous

I also have a 376s model like new. Think I bought it new in about 1978.

Anonymous

Hi everyone,

I am from Myanmar. Now , i found one Yamaki guitar from the second hand music store. The price is 100 USD.

How do u think about it ? The model is YW-13. Should i buy it.

Please someone reply me ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Kyaw Zin
      Mandalay
      Myanmar

Anonymous

I found my Yamaki Deluxe in a pawn shop on Broadway, San Fransisco of $80.00 in late ’60’s – There is no label inside the body just what appears to be a partial circular black ink stamp, also unreadable – I don’t remember there ever being a paper label – but then again it was the 60’s … Is there any way to tell what I have ? 6 Strings; Rosewood back and Spruce top; has just Yamaki Deluxe printed in gold on the head – I can’t find any other markings ??? HELP ?

Anonymous

I have had my Yamaki 12 Western #220 since 1974. Wonderfully warm sound, still straight after all these years. Try reversing the tuner winding direction on the lowest and highest strings, seems to hold the tuning a bit better. Once about 30 years ago the string block lifted a bit, but hide glue and a clamp fixed it. Lowered the action a bit by filing the bottom of the bridge insert and filing out some of the nut slots to fit the strings a bit better. Otherwise, a wonderful instrument. Just played a Taylor 12 yesterday, much brighter and shrill (maybe there is something to aging….!).

Anonymous

I bought a Yamaki Custom Folk No.125 a month ago for $250 and I’m totally in love with it! The guitar is still in great shape and produces a strong, sustainable and loud, yet amazingly warm. It previous owner says it was made back to a far as 1971, when Yamaki was founded.
      A special thing is that the guitar’s top is made from red cedar, which is traditionally for the top of classical guitars, giving the guitar a warm tone as I sais before.
      I often the chance to play Taylor and Lakewood ones, however, this Yamaki still hả an unique and amazing tone that can’t be found anywhere. Would not trade ít for anything.

Anonymous

Hello Sir Xu and guitarsite geeks!

FYI – I have a Yamaki Custom Folk No. 125 that I purchased new in 1974 when I was twelve. One of the best purchases I ever made (thanks Mom). The Yamaki No. 125 has become one of my my oldest and cherished possessions. I agree it has a gorgeous warm sound. It’s quite comparable to my son’s Seagull S6. Unlike my son’s S6, the Yamaki No. 125 been kept in excellent condition.

I have seen lots of posts regarding the Custom (No. 135) and the Deluxe Folk (No. 112/118?); however, this is the first posting I have ever seen on the Custom Folk No. 125. I suspect that surviving No. 125 Yamaki’s are rarer than most. I was happy to see there is at least one other out there!

Cheers,
        Typhoon Voodoo

Anonymous

I bought my Yamaki back in 1971 from Taylor Music in Guelph, Ontario. I still have it as of May 2017. At the time I’d never heard of Yamaki, only Yamaha, but was persuaded by the shop owner to try it. I think I paid about $130 back then as he cut me a bit of a deal from the $145. What I loved about it was the wider neck, almost classical guitar width, which made it easier to play for a newbie. It’s a cedar top and either rosewood sides or possibly even jacaranda, not sure. Although a steel string guitar it has the open slot head stock like a classical guitar. I’ve never seen one the same advertised since I started doing research a few years ago. I later found out it was a copy of a Martin D28. It has a beautiful bright sound with La Bella light weights on it. I bought a Yamaki 12 string used about a year or so later but sold it after a while. Stupid, stupid as they are now commanding over $2,000 on eBay. From what I’ve seen recently on eBay you can’t touch any Yamaki for under about $600+. I’m glad these brilliant guitars are finally getting the recognition they truly deserve. If you get one you will not be disappointed.

Anonymous

Hey want to sell the Yamaki open head stock? What model is that?

Anonymous

Loved all these comments. I had no idea what folks thought of these guitars until this website’s comments that I found and read today 4/30/17. I agree that it is a great guitar. I’ve played mine for decades, my choice due to the sound and feel of it. Played it more than my similar Martin D-28 which I’m finally selling, too many guitars in my closets. But, keeping this Yamaki and my lovely hand made Spanish classical Contreras for the duration of my life, my 2 favorites. My Yamaki is like new, but sound improving to deeper / more resonant over the years, puts out a lot of volume for the effort. Might be yellow cedar top? I don’t know wood but others have suggested it. No idea when or where I bought it anymore, or what I paid, and totally clueless about the production date, never found any serial no. list like Martin’s website provides for my D-28, 1970 – ~April.

Anonymous

i have a yamaki guitar we bought it mid 1960’s i think . somebody wants to buy it?

Anonymous

In 2012 I bought a 1972 Yamaki Deluxe Folk No.120(zero fret, cedar top) for $50 from a vintage guitar seller who hates Asian guitars. I thought that it was a Yamaha until I got it home and looked closer. I needed a beater guitar to take overseas on a mission trip and I was going to leave it there. After playing it for a few weeks I decided to ditch some clothes and bags to ship the guitar back to the U.S. These guitars seem to be more available in Canada than in the US. I live in Washington state near the border which may be why I got it. I’ve been playing 50+ yrs mostly Gibson’s. and I got to say this one will be with me until I leave this planet. I have article on my website about it and some other unusual guitars including the Nouveau by Gibson(not Epiphone) http://www.rustyrobins.com/Guitars.htm No ads or strings on website, really. I am glad to see I am not the only one who appreciates these great Japanese guitars. Only copy you say?? I’m a player, enough said.

Anonymous

Hi new here ,I recently purchcased a 72 Folk deluxe and I do like the sound of it! Now I have just purchased a second one which is a model F 240Y Indian rosewood back and sides as is #1. It has a the classical style head stock with Yamaki in vertical letters down the head stock. I hope it sounds as good as #1. The first one #1 is different in that it has no strip down the middle on the back. The #2 coming has a different label than the #1.
      Is anybody familiar enough with these guitars to shed any more info on these two guitars?

Anonymous

Hey Tom want to sell the Yamaki F 240Y with open head stock?

Anonymous

My friend and I just finished a great playin’ session with two Yamakis here in Brisbane, on a warm fall afternoon on the back veranda of a Queenslander.

We’ve got a Yamaki Deluxe (D-35 copy) that my wife purchased at the Hudson’s Bay Company in Vancouver in 1971 – Yamaki imitation grover tuners, bound neck and headstock, mother of pearl Yamaki on stock, spruce top and book matched rosewood back. Huge bottom end, very loud and sustains forever. It was always a loud guitar, but really picked up its character about 3 decades in after a million or so plays. Original price in 1971 dollars was an outrageous $295.

Yamaki 1973 folk that we picked up a few years back mported from Japan – wood looks very similar, probably Indian Rosewood. Not quite as warm but really complex open overtones. It is all stock, with the down-market Yamaki tuners on it, stays in tune and is very bright and open. Price in 2008 on ebay was about $250.

Both are set up with D’dario 11s, incredibly open and loud guitarsI used them for slide and finger picking, the folk is set up in GBDGBD open turning and the Deluxe in Bruce Palmer E tuning (EBEEBE). Compared to the J-45 (2002), D-28 (1999) and OOO-16 (1992) in the house, these are by far the best sounding guitars. They’re very well built, but the worn nitro finishes on both have just opened out these tops and the rosewood is incredible.

If you can grab one, of this vintage, it’s worth the ride and, if needed, repair.

Anonymous

Need to now what i have model has renforced neck has a s before the fork no cant make it out it was done red stamp looks like 115 but the one s look at on the net donot look like mine bridge is different. But original. So are the pig s can i send pictures. To some one tell me what i got

Anonymous

I bought my Yamaki deluxe folk ii5 in Largo, FL in 2006 from a private seller for $200, and have not regretted it. I play with a group sometimes,
      and they remark at at the resonance and volume of this acoustic.

Anonymous

I am familiar with the Yamaki Guitars. I have owned one since the 1970-72. Not quite sure when I bought it. What I can’t find is my particular model number. It is a Bruno Y50 series A nylon string guitar. Anybody out ever heard of this model.

Anonymous

I have a Yamaki folk guitar Model A113.
        It was made in 1972.
        Any idea what it is worth today?

Anonymous

My elder sister bought a yamaki deluxe n° 12? (probably 120, not easy to read inside the guitar) for me in 1974 in Paris (Victor Flore shop, Pigalle). I was just 14 and it was my first (and only) guitar. It was a new one. I still have it today, of course, and it is a great instrument.
      I never played a better guitar than this Yamaki.
      Sorry for my poor english.

Anonymous

I have a Strat made by Yamaki and the neck says Joodee. Don’t know where it comes from. I was touring with a band when somebody handed me this wonderful instrument. Told me to keep it. I haven’t played it for 30 yrs. at least.

Anonymous

I recently found a Yamaki F-115Y Deluxe Folk online and took a chance on it, buying off eBay for $187.50. It needed a new bridge but other than being dirty, the rest of the instrument is in great shape. Usual wear marks, no serious dings or scratches on it, fret wear is minimal, neck is straight and the tuners work just fine.

A master luthier is removing the cracked bridge and putting a new one on. I found that one of the master luthiers at Yamaki worked for Sigma later in his career and rumor has it that Yamaki is still in business, making guitar parts for other makes but, sadly, not complete guitars.

I should have mine back in a week or so and can’t wait to get my hands on it!!!

Anonymous

I have had my Yamaki 12 since 1974. Bought it in San Jose or Santa Clara- cannot remember. Reglued the bridge block maybe 20 years ago. Replaced the tuners as the originals just wore out. Reshaped the saddle a few times. Really like Martin SP12 strings- used D’Addario and Ball for years, but now sold on the Martins. I agree with Thomson- warm tone, just really nice player, and gets warmer.
      I added a piece of felt to the face on a capo that i have had for about the same time- works really well to help with minor buzzing.

Anonymous

I have a yamaki deluxe folk guitar manufactured in 1972 model number A- 331s. I bought it at a charity auction about six years ago. This guitar is in mint condition it only has a few nicks on the body. Like was mentioned about some of the other yamaki guitars on this sight it plays and sound great. I have discovered that the grandson of the original owner would like it back in the family someday. What would be a fair market value on this guitar?

Jonathan

Anonymous

I have the same Yamaki delux folk a-331s, purchased new in Toronto in 1972. Had it looked at and was told to spend $75 to have it adjusted and to keep it. Probably get $300 if you sold it.

Anonymous

Hey still have that yamaki guitar , are you looking to sell? Cheers, Ryan

Anonymous

I’ve just bought a Yamaki Deluxe Folk No115 in Perth Australia.

There is a paper label inside – Yamaki Deluxe Folk No 115 and of course Yamaki Deluxe on the headstock.

There is no serial number on the label however it says – YAMAKI MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS CO., LTD.

Looking around the web there are a lot of others also looking and some have serial numbers, some have other letters/numbers which seem to be some sort of model/production number.

It would be great if someone could give me and others more info about these guitars, it’s not hard to find the Yamaki/Daion link but serial numbers on some and not on others has me intrigued.

I also have a 1977 Martin D-28 and the Yamaki has a similar body size but a shorter scale neck and a ‘Brighter’ sound in comparison.

Top appears to be Spruce when compared to the Martin and the back, sides and Fret board are Rose wood.

The neck has an adjustable truss rod, adjustable from inside the sound hole.

Tuners are the ‘older’ style open geared classical style.

The Yamaki has what appears to be the original hard case with someone’s name written in English in gold, however it’s a Japanese name so it may possibly be the original owner.

Thanks for any help.

Anonymous

: : Does anyone out there know anything about yamaki guitars? I bought one long ago for $11. Best guitar I ever played. Can’t find any info on them though. Would love to know something about my guitar In answer to your question about Yamaki guitars, I don’t know about the USA situation but in Canada the Yamaki guitars where imported by Long & McQuade Music for their chain of stores. In the early to mid seventies Yamaki was producing very good quality and in some cases superior quality copies of Gibson, Martin and Guild style acoustic guitars. I own an enchanted melody model of Yamaki that is an exact copy of a dreadnaught Gibson, with the big old style Gibson headstock and the bound tortise shell binding and a nicely put together mahogany body. This guitar has superb sound and volume, I found it in a pawn shop in Calgary Alberta and had a local luthier do a 700$ restoration to get it back to good palying condition. I also had a B-band pickup installed and this is my preferred guitar for stage work. I would not sell my Yamaki for less than $2000 Cdn it is sweet. A friend of mine has a better model of Yamaki that is a super copy of Martin, you would swear that it was a Martin but the yellow cedar top is a sure sign that it is a Yamaki. Every Yamaki I have seen has had a yellow cedar top, probably to give a great sound as a new instrument. Ebay has a Yamaki for sale right now which would be a bargin but the guitar is in Ottawa Canada and would need some TLC for sure. The big manufacturers Gibson, Martin and Guild it is rumored that they muscled Yamaki out of North America due to their good quality and low price and the fact that they were such good copies of the originals. Sincerely Yours, Carl Rutley

Anonymous

:I bought a Yamaki guitar, brand new, from a music store in Wichita Falls, Texas in 1974. I think I paid about $150 to $200 for it. I intended to buy a Gibson, but the store owner pointed out the Yamaki and advised me to try it, if I wanted the sound and quality of a Gibson, but not the price tag. I still have the Yamaki, still play it and love it. Both my boys play guitar and I have to watch ’em or mine will disappear. I had to have some reinforcing work done on it about 3 years ago. Other than that the Yamaki has just gotten better with age. Everyone who plays it or hears it really loves the feel and sound of the guitar. I wouldn’t sell mine at all. I’ll leave it to one of my boys, the only problem is which one. Maybe I better sell it after all. ha! d. atkins : : : Does anyone out there know anything about yamaki guitars? I bought one long ago for $11. Best guitar I ever played. Can’t find any info on them though. Would love to know something about my guitar : In answer to your question about Yamaki guitars, I don’t know about the USA situation but in Canada the Yamaki guitars where imported by Long & McQuade Music for their chain of stores. In the early to mid seventies Yamaki was producing very good quality and in some cases superior quality copies of Gibson, Martin and Guild style acoustic guitars. I own an enchanted melody model of Yamaki that is an exact copy of a dreadnaught Gibson, with the big old style Gibson headstock and the bound tortise shell binding and a nicely put together mahogany body. This guitar has superb sound and volume, I found it in a pawn shop in Calgary Alberta and had a local luthier do a 700$ restoration to get it back to good palying condition. I also had a B-band pickup installed and this is my preferred guitar for stage work. I would not sell my Yamaki for less than $2000 Cdn it is sweet. A friend of mine has a better model of Yamaki that is a super copy of Martin, you would swear that it was a Martin but the yellow cedar top is a sure sign that it is a Yamaki. Every Yamaki I have seen has had a yellow cedar top, probably to give a great sound as a new instrument. Ebay has a Yamaki for sale right now which would be a bargin but the guitar is in Ottawa Canada and would need some TLC for sure. : The big manufacturers Gibson, Martin and Guild it is rumored that they muscled Yamaki out of North America due to their good quality and low price and the fact that they were such good copies of the originals. : Sincerely Yours, : Carl Rutley

Anonymous

: :You are one very lucky man, Glen. I have had my Yamaki for over 25 years and it just gets better and better. Try a ‘Google" search for "Yamaki guitar" and you should find quite a bit (don’t be afraid to try some of the Japanese sites, they have old catalogues that show some gorgeous guitars). The ‘rate your gear’ section of Harmony-Central.com is very good as well. Play on, Gary Thomson

Anonymous

I have a Yamaki AY431 Deluxe Folk 12 string guitar for sale. It is a 1972!! and in great condition.
        call 403 363 5217 if interested. That’s in Alberta, Canada

Anonymous

: : I bought one for $250 in about 1973 from a music store in El Cajon, California. At that time I was told it was "a high quality Japanese version of a Martin". Great sound and great wood. Since I couldn’t afford an actual Martin I bought the Yamaki. You have a fine insturment – treat it well. : :You are one very lucky man, Glen. I have had my Yamaki for over 25 years and it just gets better and better. : Try a ‘Google" search for "Yamaki guitar" and you should find quite a bit (don’t be afraid to try some of the Japanese sites, they have old catalogues that show some gorgeous guitars). The ‘rate your gear’ section of Harmony-Central.com is very good as well. : Play on, Gary Thomson

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.