Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics need info on yamaki acoustic guitars

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Does anyone out there know anything about yamaki guitars? I bought one for 1 and it’s the best acoustic guitar I’ve ever played but noone I know has ever heard of them. Would love to know something about my guitar

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I own a 1974 Yamaki #AY331S. Was my first guitar and cost $120 including the case at the time. They were a Japanese brand name that stopped making guitars in the mid to late 70’s. The fact that they were Japanese made contribuited to their low price at the time. For the money the richest, fullest sounding guitar you’ll ever find. I’ve played dozens of guitars in the last thirty years and none of them have sounded as full and rich as my Yamaki. Solid Spruce tops with Mahogany bodies and Rosewood Fretboards with Pearl inlays are what you’ll find on most of the good ones. They usuall sell used for anywhere from $200 – $500 depending on the condition and sound, but to get a new guitar that sounds as good you’re looking at closer to $1500 easy. After sitting in my closet for 15 years, I pulled mine out and had it reworked i.e. straightened out the fretboard and replaced the bridge as it had cracked. For a couple hundred dollars in repairs I have a better guitar than I’ve ever owned. Hope that helps.

Anonymous

My mother bought me a Yamaki acoustic guitar for my birthday back in October and it really is a nice guitar. SHe got it for $150(canadian). I asked a guy who owns a guitar shop about them and all I know is that they’re Japanese made(obviously because of the name, were imported into Canada and they stopped making them in the 70’s. I’d like to get mine appraised, just to see how much it’s worth today. I’m not about to sell it, it’s my baby and my first guitar.

Anonymous

: My mother bought me a Yamaki acoustic guitar for my birthday back in October and it really is a nice guitar. SHe got it for $150(canadian). I asked a guy who owns a guitar shop about them and all I know is that they’re Japanese made(obviously because of the name, were imported into Canada and they stopped making them in the 70’s. I’d like to get mine appraised, just to see how much it’s worth today. I’m not about to sell it, it’s my baby and my first guitar. ++++ I have a early seventies Yamaki, model ay365, and am always looking for info on it. Some places I have found information http://WWW.harmonycentral.com…under guitar reviews Google search in the newsgroups. I received an e-mail, from a fellow who sold Yamakis in Vancouver BC. The story he told was of guitars with quite a range in quality, with the top end ones being rather special. The one I have has an abalone rosette fully binded, solid spruce, and sounds better imho than most of the martins, and gibsons I have played. It is loud, but japanese…eek…Anybody notice that the Japanese fenders are now getting credibility(i.e people are paying big money), I think the prejudice towards non american instruments is lessening, but Yamakis are still going for a song. Anybody got one for sale :> later Ironbru

Anonymous

: : My mother bought me a Yamaki acoustic guitar for my birthday back in October and it really is a nice guitar. SHe got it for $150(canadian). I asked a guy who owns a guitar shop about them and all I know is that they’re Japanese made(obviously because of the name, were imported into Canada and they stopped making them in the 70’s. I’d like to get mine appraised, just to see how much it’s worth today. I’m not about to sell it, it’s my baby and my first guitar. : ++++ : I have a early seventies Yamaki, model ay365, and am always looking for info on it. : Some places I have found information : http://WWW.harmonycentral.com…under guitar reviews : Google search in the newsgroups. : I received an e-mail, from a fellow who sold Yamakis in Vancouver BC. The story he told was of guitars with quite a range in quality, with the top end ones being rather special. The one I have has an abalone rosette fully binded, solid spruce, and sounds better imho than most of the martins, and gibsons I have played. It is loud, but japanese…eek…Anybody notice that the Japanese fenders are now getting credibility(i.e people are paying big money), I think the prejudice towards non american instruments is lessening, but Yamakis are still going for a song. : Anybody got one for sale :> : later : Ironbru Hey, i got this Yamaki Custom a short while ago.This thing rocks..Better than any Gibson les paul custom i’ve ever played.(yet it was a copy?????) Wondering what one of these is worth in good shape, or even just some info please….thanx

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.