Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Are Kona guitars good?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

looking to buy my first guitar over 00. saw a Kona K2 acoustic electric, thin body for 00. is this a good deal? no case included

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

No do not ever buy a kona guitar. That sound horrible and are very difficult to play due to the space between the strings and the neck. And I have been playing a very very long time.but I have not played a newer one . Mine is a 2001 but it looks like brand new because I hate it . I just play my moms Martin every time I get the chance.

Anonymous

I bought a very nice Kona Guitar with case & tuner for $60.00 on Facebooks Market place,and the sound quality is great. Im very please with it. I doubt anyone ever even played it because it’s in excellent condiction. I have 3 guitars. My Kona, A Fender Stratocaster, and a Gibsen Les Paul. I suggest if you get a Kona guitar for a decent price, Go for it. You won’t be disappointed.

Anonymous

I have owned 2 Kona Acoustics. I have enjoyed each one. They play well and sound good for a bargain guitar. I have Fender Hot Rod and also a Tanglewood TD8-STand I prefer the sound of the Kona over both of these. You cant beat them for the price. Action is a little high but I believe that has a lot to do with the full sound. I say if got a buck fifty to drop, drop it on a Kona.

Anonymous

Have purchased 2 fenders for my husband. One a squire bullet.. awesome guitars. Just curious the quality before purchasing a Kona electric.
      And the proper price for a used Kona in good condition

Anonymous

My daughter borrowed one from a friend, dreadnought with a cheap dark blueburst finish. I adjusted the truss rod to make it playable and am pretty surprised at the tone, especially when I read this site and see they are $100 specials. Well, my daughter only knows 3 chords and believe it or not this guitar has to be tuned more than twice a year. She’s not gigging yet but if and when she does, I’m betting this guitar is either in a closet or a distant memory.

Anonymous

I wanted to add an acoustic sound to my gig but have been hesitant to buy an acoustic
      guitar because I’m very hard on guitars. Most of my gigs are after work and I often leave
      equipment in the car during the day. I read positive reviews about this guitar and figured
      for the price what do I have to lose.

Ordered online, the guitar arrived on time and damage free. Needed a little set-up which is
      typical for most guitars (lowered bridge, tweaked the truss rod, sanded one fret). To make a
      long story short the guitar is way better than I could have ever hoped for the money. Action
      is good, tone is fine, electronics perfect. I started gigging with it a week after I bought it. It’s
      now my go to instrument. If it gets broken I’m not going slip into depression, I’ll just buy
      another one… maybe two!

Anonymous

I picked up a Kona K1Rd from a fellow at my church with a hard shell case for $130.00, I had fell in love with it when I played it, such a full rich sound, and a beautiful guitar, I was very surprised to look on line and see that they were a economy priced guitar!
      I recently did some research on guitars and went to a local music store to try out some new acoustics, I played 10 diff brands of guitars ranging from Dean, epiphone, Takimini, LAG, Recording King, (it was actually a solid wood guitar and sounded the best of all I played for a very low price) and I have to say, other than the $700 and up models, a Seagull to be exact, none of these guitars came close to the Konas sound!
      So I’m gonna hold on to my Kona for a while longer!

Anonymous

This is cheap, good sounding guitar for free! I bought and returned my first 2 for $119. The first had a dead 13th fret and the 2nd had varnish chips on the neck. My third one had a couple of dead frets and the vendor gave my money back and said do not buy another one from him and he let me keep it. I had a setup done with Elixir Nanoweb extra light strings. It sounds great. $50 setup and $60 Kona tolex case! Not a bad deal!

Anonymous

Ive had my kona acoustic electric for about 5-6 years now…bought my gf one…suggested a friend to buy one too…ive had another acoustic, ibanez, fender 12 string…and a tanglewood guitar…and i always played my kona…the tone quality coming out of my kona was waaaaay better than the ibanez, and tanglewood. it was also like half the price of the ibanez…my kona fell and broke at the neck( i almost cried) but i fixed the headstock jus becoz i wanted that sound again..which i never got from another guitar before…and when i fixed it…i still played my kona…these guitars are amazing…im looking to buy the artist series now..but none of them ship to Mauritius where i am…

peace out hope this helps

Anonymous

For the price, you won’t find a better sounding guitar. All the wood types are right, and it looks good, and has good action.

Anonymous

I took a Blue dreadnaught guitar from a friend and put new strings on it size 11. it sounds great and is beautiful, I have an 800.00 martin, a seagull, a taylor, a fender cyclone, anda few more. this is a great guitar, it is just acoustic. Remember i did all the adjustments on it. I took it back to him with learning instructions, called him a week later and he said he just couldnt do it and ask if i wanted to buy it, I didnt know the price of Kona’s it didnt matter, I gave him 100.00. If i dont keep it, it will make a beautiful gift, but i think i will keep it to drag around when we are just playing unplugged. I think they are good guitars for the price

Anonymous

I have 2 . A k1SB that I picked up at a pawn shop for 70 bucks. Got it for my grandson for X-mass . Liked it so much I gave him my Jasmine low end Takiminnee (sp) and kept it. I recently just got a KG1cen at another pawn shop w/hard case(which is really nice) for 200. Solid spruce top and really nice action. Has few scratches , but plays and sounds like a much higher end guitar. Recently played a 600 Breedlove at Guitar Center , and was gonna get that , but this Kona sounds and plays better.What ever you pay for the kona you’re looking at IMO you can’t get a better sounding guitar for the price.

Anonymous

Bought the K2 at a pawn shop for $100 out the door. Became interested in Spanish guitar music so I bought the Kona KC1 for another $130 new. Really sounds great with a lot of bass. Thought I would replace the nut, saddle and pins with buffalo bone and see if it made a difference. Wow, want to put your expensive guitar up against my Kona’s. Bring it on. Had a couple of expensive guitar converts already. The KC1 stays in tune most of the time and I have never retuned the K2 it 2 months. Both needed the strings lowered a bit to make them easier to play. But this only added to the pleasure of these instruments. Highly recommended and I am not even looking at a replacement expensive guitar right now. The nut, saddle pins cost about $12.00 on ebay.

Anonymous

I bought a Kona acoustic for like 100 bucks on ebay a couple years ago, and I love the damn thing. I paid much more for other acoustic guitars in the past that didn’t play as well as this one.

Anonymous

A friend purchased a Kona acoustic cutaway guitar through an online auction. Beautiful instrument. Excellent sound! He later found that the truss rod was broken. He emailed Kona – explaining the situation and acknowledging that he was not the original owner. Kona asked to have the instrument shipped to them (the mfr) and offered to repair it for free. They later sent a brand new replacement guitar free of charge (same model Kona) explaining that the original instrument could not be repaired.

Exceptional customer service. Excellent company. Excellent products. I don’t believe you can go wrong buying a Kona.

Enjoy.

Anonymous

Kona K2 is sooooper….. U will love playing it…

Anonymous

: looking to buy my first guitar over $100. saw a Kona K2 acoustic electric, thin body for $200. is this a good deal? no case included Kona guitars can be purchased from Bafumba.com, along with some other brands.

Anonymous

kona guitars are great! you get a great value for the dollar and their guitars look and sound like guitars costing 2 or 3x as much. I have a KONA KS2NE and everyone loves it. They often ask how much I paid for it and when I ask them to guess, they usually say about $1000. Would they be shocked to knkow I purchased it for $175 from P-Hill on ebay. This seller is excellent and the quickest delivery I have ever seen. I ordered it on Tuesday and had it on Thursday. Is that fast or what? The sound is superb. It is not a beginners guitar though. I would recommend this to an intermediate to professional player. The K2 Thin body I have heard is excellent. Go to harmony-central.com to see the outstanding reviews for this guitar. This is the addy: http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Kona/Thinline-Acoustic-Electric-01.html Good luck and Go Kona, you won’t go wrong!!!

Anonymous

: looking to buy my first guitar over $100. saw a Kona K2 acoustic electric, thin body for $200. is this a good deal? no case included I just bought a Kona K1 natural. Brand new to guitar and taking lessons. Both my instructor and I love it. (dang my fingers and wrist are sore!)

Anonymous

Just Bought a new K1E (natural) for 140.00 including shipping and insurance off of EBAY. I did a lot of research before I finally decided on which guitar to buy and have read nothing but positive information about the Konas. I can’t wait to get it and hope it is as nice as everyone says.

Anonymous

Just Bought a new K1E (natural) for 140.00 including shipping and insurance off of EBAY. I did a lot of research before I finally decided on which guitar to buy and have read nothing but positive information about the Konas. I can’t wait to get it and hope it is as nice as everyone says.

Anonymous

Yes… Very high quality for the price. You can buy them online at http://www.JustGuitarsOnline.com. The only place I’ve found that sells them online.

Anonymous

Kona is a good guitar but I have a tuning key that went out in less than a year. Does anyone know the phone number to the company?

Anonymous

: looking to buy my first guitar over $100. saw a Kona K2 acoustic electric, thin body for $200. is this a good deal? no case included I am a wholesaler and sell the Kona cutaway acoustic/electric thinbody guitars for $150.00

Anonymous

For the money you can’t beat a Kona. I bought a K1E on Ebay for 100 bucks. I loved everything except how hard it was to play. I sanded down the bridge and did a truss adjustment and the Guitar is unbelievable. Once you have the Kona setup right not many guitars can touch it sound wise at any price. Great Value.

Anonymous

So far, so good! I bought a K2 while working in Arkansas last week. It was the feel of the neck that attracted me. For a thin body it has the typical naturally bright sound acoustically, but plug it in to a good clean amp and you can make the tone what you want.

Anonymous

: So far, so good! I bought a K2 while working in Arkansas last week. It was the feel of the neck that attracted me. For a thin body it has the typical : naturally bright sound acoustically, but plug it in to : a good clean amp and you can make the tone what you want. so far so good, my freind baught a kona, it has a clean sound, very good neck, holds a tuneup for a long time, you can take it out and play with no or very little tuning. in TX he payed 149.00 + 75.00 for a hard case.. NICE Guitar..

Anonymous

I’ve owned my Kona K2 for about a week now. I think it’s close to being the best playing acoustic I’ve ever played, the neck and action is fantastic. The sound for a thin body is also better than you would expect. You can’t beat the quality of this guitar for the price. I got mine on the net for $148 with shipping. And be sure to buy the form fit hard case for it. The case is also high quality, WAY better than a gig bag, and it only cost me $58 with shipping.

Anonymous

Hi there! Check out aganmusic.com for REALLY low prices on the Konas. Blessings, Teri

Anonymous

Amen to that..Aganmusic has also just lowered their shipping charges.By far the best price on the web for a outstanding guitar. The quality for the price is second to none.After a basic setup,I’d say they are the best out there. Phil

Anonymous

I have had a KONA K2 thin body for about a year and I love it. I originally had my first guitar when I was only five but now Im 16 and have had lessons and i know how to play and have had alot of guitars and i love the KONA the best. My first choice was a Taylor, but now i have what i want for about 200$ THEY ARE GREAT!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Our store started carrying Kona’s about 4 monthes ago. Constantly, these are the favorites of our staff, as well as players who stop by. Really check them over well, as we have had a few which were pretty rough. BUT, most of all or the guitars we have had have been worth hundreds more then what they sell for! I compared a KS2N against my brothers Martin D-35 this past weekend, and he sadly admitted that the sound, fit, and finish of this guitar was better then his D-35 which he paid over $1300 for! : looking to buy my first guitar over $100. saw a Kona K2 acoustic electric, thin body for $200. is this a good deal? no case included

Anonymous

I just bought a KONA Acoustic (K1TBK) and it’s GREAT! http://www.konaguitars.com/accoustic.htm

Anonymous

From a music store owner standpoint, i have carried kona guitars for over a year now and love them. Even though they are a new name in the guitar world, they look, feel and play great. They are becomming better known now too. $200 is a good price for a thin body. Thats roughly what we sell them for except when rent is due. Then theres no telling what we would go down to. lol. Email me if you buy it. I’d like to know your opinion after you have had it a bit. Mike Weyermiller Musician’s Haven Tulsa, OK

Anonymous

: From a music store owner standpoint, i have carried kona guitars for over a year now and love them. Even though they are a new name in the guitar world, they look, feel and play great. They are becomming better known now too. $200 is a good price for a thin body. Thats roughly what we sell them for except when rent is due. Then theres no telling what we would go down to. lol. Email me if you buy it. I’d like to know your opinion after you have had it a bit. : Mike Weyermiller : Musician’s Haven : Tulsa, OK Had to mail you. I just moved from Tulsa and am in Florida when my husband decided he wants to play the guitar. I went out on his birthday, not having a CLUE about guitars and bought him the thin body K2. I was really impressed, now that I know more and have heard it. He is the hardest to please and he WAS!!! You would be laughing your ass off now if you could have seen how niave I looked in the store…I think they saw me coming, though. I paid over four hundred dollars for it! Oh well, it was worth it. Take care and have a wonderful Christmas!!

Anonymous

: looking to buy my first guitar over $100. saw a Kona K2 acoustic electric, thin body for $200. is this a good deal? no case included

Anonymous

The people at Kona are the worst I will never own a kona product again..ripp offs, rude people…No customer service.

Anonymous

I have been playing guitar for about 50 years. I had the opportunity to play a black K1 and was pleasantly surprised. I needed a decent ‘knockabout’ to use for working on charts. So I purchased a K2 cutaway with the electronics. Also paid an extra $50 to have it professionally set up. The sound was nothing like the K1. Much worse! Since then the tuners quit working on it. I happened to have a spare set of grovers so I put them on. Figured I’d be good to go right? Wrong! Next, the top cracked in 3 places and the saddle is beginning to lift up off the body. This guitar is by far, the biggest piece of GARBAGE I’ve ever owned.The sound seems to get worse with age. My advice to you is to look around and play them before you make a decision. Including the setup cost and soft case I spent almost $200. That’s right, $200 worth of firewood. You can buy alot of good starters for about $50 – $60. Don’t purchase the K2. They’re junk!!

Anonymous

Recently was introduced to this brand of guitar.The acoustics of this particular jumbo flat top were amazing. Its resonance and in general its hang time are qualities you normally don’t see in guitars priced in this one particular range,125-175 depending on finish and hardware.The wood used in this paticular model spruce and or birch.A definate thumbs up for my first dance with this particular instrument
        Jam on Kona

Anonymous

baught one about a year and a half ago. it’s been a pretty good guitar. the action isn’t that great. but it’s a good deal for the price. i got one of the blue KIT’s? can’t remember. all i know is that it’s blue and it’s a cutaway. anyway it’s been ok but i’m movin’ up now. to a takamine

Anonymous

If you move “UP” to a Takamine, it had better be a mid-high end one! The lower end Takamine’s are not near as good as a Kona. I’ve had both.

Anonymous

I’ve had a Takamine for over 35 years. Everyone that picked it couldnt stop playing it. I recently gave it to my grandson on his high school graduation day. But I found I missed having one. So I bought a cheap Washburn acoustic for $60. Total crap! But I found a kona ks2ne on cl for $200. I’ve been reading these reviews and looking at other sites. I have a feeling I’m going to be pleased. Thanks for all your input.

Anonymous

: baught one about a year and a half ago. it’s been a pretty good guitar. the action isn’t that great. but it’s a good deal for the price. i got one of the blue KIT’s? can’t remember. all i know is that it’s blue and it’s a cutaway. anyway it’s been ok but i’m movin’ up now. to a takamine

Anonymous

i picked up a kona dreadnaught at a pawnshop for $100 bucks and ive beat the hell outa that thing and it still plays good. i rarely have to tune it.

Anonymous

: : looking to buy my first guitar over $100. saw a Kona K2 acoustic electric, thin body for $200. is this a good deal? no case included

Anonymous

I have purchased / played a number of Kona guitars from the States recently and can honestly say the thinline Kona is an amazing guitar for its price bracket…. great full acoustic sound (and with such a thin body this quality of sound was a complete surprise), good electro qualities (if using a decent amp) with a very good finish and attention to detail…. and our guitars came with gig bags in with the price. Several friends agreed it looked and played every but a £200 instrument ($400!). Been playing for 30 years and I was impressed. Hope it helps. Take care, Ken

Anonymous

Forgot to say that P Hill off Ebay (trades as ‘p-hill’)in America does the range at VERY good price levels and I’ve found his service great even though I’m based in the UK. Jeff at P Hill does the K1 acoustic for less than $100, and the K1E electro for $129…. great value. Ceers. Ken

Anonymous

: I have just bought my first Kona guitar at a pawn shop for $100.00-I hope that I didn’t make a mistake…I don’t know just yet…haven’t started playing it yet!

Anonymous

If you bought it, you must have it in your possession, why haven’t you played it before posting so me who watch this site can have an owners opinion. I can’t figure out why you are posting the fact that you got it for $100.00, get a new one at Amazon for $98.00. I want to know what people who have played it and can review their experience online for others.

Anonymous

I bought a brand new Kona guitar at a pawn shop, in Parsons Ks, I cant play yet,,, BUT I had my grandson play it before I bought it, We both fell in love with it. NOW I need to get on it an learn to play. This makes my third guitar,,, one is a OLD “JON” from back in late 40’s early 50’s for décor,,, and my real first one is a JAMESON electric acoustic which NO ONE who can play likes.

Anonymous

have been selling Kona guitars for over a year now and have very little complaints on any of them I have sold..bargain scale of 1-10? At least a 7-8..bill

Anonymous

: : : looking to buy my first guitar over $100. saw a Kona K2 acoustic electric, thin body for $200. is this a good deal? no case included

Anonymous

check P-hill on ebay. This guy sells great guitars and with hard case will still cost lyou less than $200. The hard case is amazing and the guitar outstanding. PLUS this guy deliver super-fast. I ordered on Tuesday , got it on Thursday. How fast is that! By the way, you can not do better than Kona guitars (even Takamine can’t touch it for sound quality). You’d have to go over teh $100 bracket to find a guitar that is better. And even then….

Anonymous

I made a typo.. meant to say this: You’d have to go over the $1000 (THOUSAND!!!!) bracket to find a guitar that is better. And even then…. I am a born-again Kona guitar fan. After playing a Kona, you’ll never wanna play anything else. 🙂

Anonymous

nice to know, my husband just bought me one at Joplin truck stop, (sure he overpaid at 200 dollars) thin-line acoustic/electric. I haven’t seen it yet, hoping it is a good one. It didn’t come with any accessories. looking at the prices on these sites, he overpaid about 70-80 dollars.

Anonymous

Kona guitars excellent value i bought signature 000 from Agan music http://www.aganmusic.com/page/page/683414.htm Excellent service they keep their promises keep you informed pleasure to do business with great product and prices . check em out

Anonymous

: : looking to buy my first guitar over $100. saw a Kona K2 acoustic electric, thin body for $200. is this a good deal? no case included I have been playing guitar roughly almost 25 years and saw my first Kona guitar just the other day in a pawn shop. It was brand new with the tags from the maker still on the machine heads. It hadn’t been in there a couple of days. I picked it up, tuned it and thought maybe I fell into guitar heaven. the sticker price was roughly $259.00. This guitar is completely teal in color except for the bindings and is simply beautiful. It plays fantastic! That doesn’t mean the one your talking about possibly buying is, but more that likely you will be very happy with it. In fact, I’ll be playing a Don Henley song at a friend of mines wedding in about 2 hours called "For My Wedding" on that guitar. I just decided today to do a search on Kona guitars and this posting was the first thing I saw and thought I would share my experience with my Kona guitar with you. Good luck and if you have any more questions, feel free to email me. Peace…

Anonymous

I have bought my husband a fender acoustic and a squire bullet electric. Both great guitars , used, good condition. I saw an good condition Kona and want to purchase it for him. He used to play in a band and we both play music. Is this Kona electric similar in price and value of a squire? I can’t ask him, lol. Thank you for any help asap

Anonymous

I recently purchased a Kona acoustic guitar with gig bag beginners book and electronic guitar tuner for $20.
          The owner had bought it online from Walmart for $99 and couldn’t play it.
          I discovered that the guitar was unplayable out of the box. Fret buzz was ridiculous and playing most open chords was impossible. With a capo on the fourth fret it was at least playable. The bridge was too low and frets #2 and #4 were too high. I took it to a professional luthier for repairs. And $40 later I have a pretty looking guitar made with plywood that plays fine but makes too twangy a tone for the gospel and praise music I play. It would however be good for playing bluegrass music or just for playing around a camp fire.
          I suggest you try the guitar before you buy it and do not buy a Kona by mail or online unless you are ready to have it fixed before it can be played.

Anonymous

negative, i have been through a couple, not only that but i have have woken up to find the 1st string (high E) broken ( tuned to E standard by the way) and a call to kona resulted in “you must have done something wrong”, “you tuned it out of pitch”, and “never heard of that before” my advise stay away from kona. besides how good would you expect it to be seeing as how they are sold in walmart, target, and k marts.

Anonymous

Yes I bought mine today and I fell in love with it when I played my first note! My sister bought a New York pro a couple years back with a bag to carry it in and it cost her around 400$ my Kona plays way better and I got the guitar and a bag to carry it in for 145$! Hope you love your Kona as much as I love mine

Anonymous

BTW…I found the same guitar for a lot less at a place called bidville auctions just awhile ago. They also had a red one. They have real nice pictures of the guitars there. They were selling for $119.00 with all kinds of goodies. I’ll tell you this though…I would have paid more for this guitar if I had to! No doubt.

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.