Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Fender 75 Tube Amp

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Just bought a "Fender 75" tube amp with 15" speaker. Does anyone know about or have one. Would like info on it. Can’t find much on web. Has a plug in back that says "effects in/out". Also has LEAD channel. Is Lead channel supposed to have any overdrive or anything like that? Please help. Thanks.

Related Amplifiers
    Roundup of low cost Tube Amps

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I have a 12" model (Blackface) 75 from sometime around 1980 – I am in U.K. – it keeps blowing fuses every time I switch it off and go to turn it back on again… any ideas?
      Also – anyone got a manual for this? Sounds great – really brilliant Stones-like sound… Cheers, Mark. PS I have Bassman 50 head (export model) – any ideas for easy mods that an electronics virgin like me could carry out successfully?

Anonymous

i bought a used Fender 75 in 1993 or so. it was modified by a previous owner and now has a 12" electro voice speaker in it. In my opinion, though I havent experimented too much, the EV speaker makes the amps clean sound slightly less open than it should be, but gives a more mesa boogie type lead sound. One crucial thing is that my amp came with a footswitch (homemade it looks like) and does not work properly without it! with the footswitch you switch between the channels, without it you’re kind of stuck in an unpleasant sounding no mans land. I don’t know if this is unique to my amp or common to all Fender 75’s.
      This amp is very, very reliable.
      I use a Fender 72 thinline reissue (humbucking pu’s).
      I got a real nice sound recently with an Epiphone Sheraton, too. So I disagree with the other reply about only single coil pickups sounding good with this amp. My settings may be a little unconventional but here they are: vol: 3-5, brightswitch: off, treble 2.5 (pull boost), mid 8, bass 2.6 (pull boost), lead gain 3.5, lead vol 3.5+, master 4-6, the reverb is a little poingy so unless i’m playing something reggae-ish, it stays at about 2.8.

rumours, i don’t know if they’re true:
      this was designed by Rivera when he worked at fender.
      the circuit was inspired by boogie amps.
      there were several styles single 15", 4×10", head only, etc.
      peace, chuck

Anonymous

I have had one of these amps since it was new. I have the 12" speaker as stock It is highly reliable and has a high tube voltage so use the best 6L6’s you can get. If it has STR’s in it guard them carefully. It can be difficult to get the four volumes lined up just so. I would say start by keeping the master above 4 and the first volume above 3. The first knob in the second group is where the crunch is. The reverb is quite good. The effects jack is a tip-ring-sleeve stereo insert type arrangement and needs a special cable(a long insert cable). Put all the controls at zero to adjust the hum. The amp was designed by a man nnamed Ed Jahns, a well respected tube genius, with the assisatnce of Freddie Tavares. It absolutely IS supposed to be the fender version of a boogie. I paid $360 one week used. Jim

Anonymous

: I have had one of these amps since it was new. : I have the 12" speaker as stock : It is highly reliable and has a high tube voltage so use the best 6L6’s you can get. If it has STR’s in it guard them carefully. : It can be difficult to get the four volumes lined up just so. : I would say start by keeping the master above 4 and the first volume above 3. The first knob in the second group is where the crunch is. : The reverb is quite good. : The effects jack is a tip-ring-sleeve stereo insert type arrangement and needs a special cable(a long insert cable). : Put all the controls at zero to adjust the hum. : The amp was designed by a man nnamed Ed Jahns, a well respected tube genius, with the assisatnce of Freddie Tavares. : It absolutely IS supposed to be the fender version of a boogie. : I paid $360 one week used. : Jim >I resently purchased one too and have it figured out from experimentation certainly not documentation which is apparently unavailable. It took a while to realize that the effects in/out jack is stereo. Yet I haven’t had time to determine which of "tip/ ring/sleeve" is in and out. Anyone know?

Anonymous

: : I have had one of these amps since it was new. : : I have the 12" speaker as stock : : It is highly reliable and has a high tube voltage so use the best 6L6’s you can get. If it has STR’s in it guard them carefully. : : It can be difficult to get the four volumes lined up just so. : : I would say start by keeping the master above 4 and the first volume above 3. The first knob in the second group is where the crunch is. : : The reverb is quite good. : : The effects jack is a tip-ring-sleeve stereo insert type arrangement and needs a special cable(a long insert cable). : : Put all the controls at zero to adjust the hum. : : The amp was designed by a man nnamed Ed Jahns, a well respected tube genius, with the assisatnce of Freddie Tavares. : : It absolutely IS supposed to be the fender version of a boogie. : : I paid $360 one week used. : : Jim : >I resently purchased one too and have it : figured out from experimentation certainly : not documentation which is apparently : unavailable. It took a while to realize : that the effects in/out jack is stereo. Yet : I haven’t had time to determine which of "tip/ : ring/sleeve" is in and out. : Anyone know? If I recall correctly sleeve is send and tip is return, but this was always hard to get right and i blew up a couple of effects. get something with an input control and a meter or led. try the sleeve and just for a few seconds try to just see it without completeing the circuit. If you start to get up to where you know something should light up switch to the other one. Real guerilla stuff.. take it easy. If I see the manual I’ll check. Jim

Anonymous

: Just bought a "Fender 75" tube amp with 15" speaker. Does anyone know about or have one. Would like info on it. Can’t find much on web. Has a plug in back that says "effects in/out". Also has LEAD channel. Is Lead channel supposed to have any overdrive or anything like that? Please help. Thanks.

Sold my 75 to a friend with an American Standard Telecaster of about ’95 vintage. In my opinion, it was made for this guitar. I had never been able to get a decent sound out of this amp (distortion-wise) until I heard this combination. The clean sound is always (beautifully) Black Face, but a humbucker just doesn’t do the overdrive justice. Overall, it was very reliable. I had about 14 years of uninterupted service (from new) on the road and otherwise. Either use a Tele (sounds great unmodified) or check out Torres Engineering for mods. I would use the Tele.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.