Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics bigsby with telecaster

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

hey,

i’m preparing to install the bigsby, b-16, on a telecaster USA deluxe (b-16 is the one i need right?). and to resolve the bigsby’s defective detuning problem – ?
    i was talking to a guy the other day and he told me: "I had a Bigsby installed on an SG that I had a Tune-o-matic bridge installed on that originally had a Bigsby on it that wouldn’t stay in tune at all. The installer said it’s all in carving the nut out enough to let the strings move freely."

What do you think about this comment? and what about the combination of changing to Shaller locking tuners, a shaller rolling nut, and a tune-o-matic or shaller bridge with the bigsby? would i run into any problems. ( i prefer .10-.46 sized strings. i don’t know if this would be a factor, would it?) do you think it would still go out of tune???
    if so what would be the best combination or other option???

thank you very much for your time,
    eric

PS is there a shaller rolling bridge made for telecasters? and also would you happen to know anyone who could do this in LA, cali.?

thanks again.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

: hey, : i’m preparing to install the bigsby, b-16, on a telecaster USA deluxe (b-16 is the one i need right?). and to resolve the bigsby’s defective detuning problem – ? : i was talking to a guy the other day and he told me: "I had a Bigsby installed on an SG that I had a Tune-o-matic bridge installed on that originally had a Bigsby on it that wouldn’t stay in tune at all. The installer said it’s all in carving the nut out enough to let the strings move freely." : What do you think about this comment? and what about the combination of changing to Shaller locking tuners, a shaller rolling nut, and a tune-o-matic or shaller bridge with the bigsby? would i run into any problems. ( i prefer .10-.46 sized strings. i don’t know if this would be a factor, would it?) do you think it would still go out of tune??? : if so what would be the best combination or other option??? : thank you very much for your time, : eric : PS is there a shaller rolling bridge made for telecasters? and also would you happen to know anyone who could do this in LA, cali.? : thanks again. Hi Bigsby man. I asked my guitar repair man….best in Baltimore… about Bigsby on telecaster and he said: "What’s the matter? Don’t you like to play in tune?" Having said that, I really want to install one on my "parts"tele. I am very sceptical of the bridge that Bigsby packs with the unit. I’m more interested in trying to find the actual Fender Model (licensed by Bigsby, or made by them) mostly because of the modified bridge they use. The other day I played a re-issue tele with Bigsby type-vibrato and found it stayed in tune remarkably well. I think that nut slots are critcal, locking tuners nice, and use a good lubricant. I’ve been using "Nut Sauce" (that’s right) with my strat and B-bender and it works great. Look for it on-line or magazine ads. Good luck

Anonymous

Lots of questions………start from the beginning. Yes, you need the B-16. No, there isn’t a rolling nut made for a Tele. Fender somewhat solved the nut problem by using the LSR roller nut, but those are no longer made, and were never made for Teles. Your best bet is to use a graphite nut, and make sure it’s one designed for 10 gauge strings. If the slots are too narrow, then the strings will "bind" a bit, and pull the guitar out of tune when you use the Bigsby. Filing a standard nut out will work fine as well, but unless you’re VERY accurate, you’ll throw the intonation off. Locking tuners are nice, and certainly wouldn’t hurt, but I don’t think they’re necessary. Schallers are good, as are Sperzels. The bridge isn’t necessary, but the tune-o-matic would add a bit of depth to the tone. It’ll make the geetar a bit ugly, though, as you’ll have the exposed bridge pickup with the extra holes for the original "ashtray" bridge plate exposed. I’d leave the bridge for now, but maybe switch to graphite saddles instead, again, designed for .10 strings.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.