Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Buying the best (is it worth it)

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Excuse my ignorance, am totally new to guitar playing, but have come into some money through an inheritance which gives me the opportunity to splash out on my first electric guitar. I can afford to spend up too £2000 (a lot I know, hence the question). Is it really worth my while spending that on my first guitar and amp? or should I start cheaper and work up?, as I know I will want the best one one day. Many thanks. Naz.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Naz,
      Here’s the scoop. Depending on your dedication, you and your skills and ear will grow and you will naturally evolve to want and need a better guitar. We all want a better guitar, but need and skill level will dictate. You, as a beginner have no idea what you want for a sound and which guitar will give it to you—so how can you possible choose? And as you get better and your personal sound evolves, you will want different sounds. And, ideally, at some point you will benefit from a high priced quality system. But for now, get something good and playable and work on your skill level first.

Anonymous

spend heaps

: Excuse my ignorance, am totally new to guitar playing, but have come into some money through an inheritance which gives me the opportunity to splash out on my first electric guitar. I can afford to spend up too £2000 (a lot I know, hence the question).

: Is it really worth my while spending that on my first guitar and amp? or should I start cheaper and work up?, as I know I will want the best one one day.

: Many thanks.

: Naz.

Anonymous

Excuse me.You should take YOUR time,dude.I said ZAPPA-LIKE distortion.The other stuff? You maybe right.But
      everyone knows that older Gibsons are better than newer
      ones..HMMM??

Anonymous

: : Excuse my ignorance, am totally new to guitar playing, but have come into some money through an inheritance which gives me the opportunity to splash out on my first electric guitar. I can afford to spend up too £2000 (a lot I know, hence the question).

: : Is it really worth my while spending that on my first guitar and amp? or should I start cheaper and work up?, as I know I will want the best one one day.

: : Many thanks.

: : Naz.

: It is the better way to go, but if you are a begginer that may not want to play the guitar, after a while it could become a big mistake. If you really want to play, good gear works out in the long run. I’d say if you are spending all of that money, get a better amp than your guitar, or you could spend the same amount on both. Depending on your style your taste will be different. Definetly get a good tube amp, or you could look into digital amps, like a Johnson. Sky is the limit.

: : IMHO go for the best guitar that your money can buy. If you really want the best, i would suggest a used Paul Reed Smith. That way you will be getting a really good price, on one of the absolutely best guitars made on the planet!!!! Really good guitars never lose value! I played for 27 years before I had an opportunity to buy a really good guitar. Boy would I like to kick myself for being so slow out of the starting gate. Also remember that guitars are NOT going to go down in price.

Anonymous

If I had a bunch of cash burning a hole in my pocket and was looking to start playing, I would go the extra mile (km? 😉 and spend a bit more on good gear. If it doesn’t work out, odds are you’ll get what ya payed for it . . . or more if you get something good! (do I hear investment?)

Ain’t nothin’ wrong with havin’ somethin’ nice around . . . but ya gotta do something with it.

Keep Rockin’!
      http://www.messinwithtexas.com

Anonymous

Do not buy the best now.
      Buy something cheap but playable until you have developed some chops and have discovered what you like and dislike in a guitar.
      IMO, look at Fender Stratocasters and Telecasters from Mexico (Aprox 00 US). Also Epiphone Les Paul Standards (Aprox 00 US). Take an experienced player with you to help pick it out. Your friend will prevent you from buying a dud. Buy a cheap amp if you are not playing in a band already, 10 to 15 watts is enough for the bedroom–if you like rock/alternative music you need a two channel amp (one chnl with distortion) or a distortion pedal (e.g., Ibanez Tube Screamer, Dan Electro Daddy-O, etc.).

Then stick the rest of your money in the bank, till you’re positive you know what you want.

Clay (playing for 29 years)

Anonymous

: : Hmm.There are a lot of good guitars out there.Esp, Ibanez,Carvin,Gibsons and Fenders.What style of music do you want to play?? You might want to start with a
      : : decent fist axe(00-00).But as far as amps go….
      : : Fender Twin Reverbs are the ones for me.Traveling amps,
      : : I like the Tech 21s.They have very nice tone for solid
      : : state amps,lovley reverb and Zappa-like(R.I.P.)overdrive.
      : : The Gibson Les Paul and Fender Twin Reverb is probably
      : : the best marriage in music history!!
      : : Good Luck

Forget Zappa. He played something like a 25 yr old Super 400 Gibson through a GUILD amp!! TAKE YOUR TIME! At this point,FOR YOU, with 4164380,look into a PRE ’67 Gibson 345,STOP tail piece. You will be able to ROCK, or play Jazz. Very versatile ax. You won’t find ANYTHING in the 3-500 $ range that’s any good. And DON’T buy a NEW Gibson!! They are living off their reputation. It’s MUCH easier to tell you what NOT to buy. The best guitar for the money, THAT I KNOW OF, is McInturff. But that will set you back about 100. GOOD HUNTING.

Anonymous

Just to say thanks for your posts am heading off this weekend on the start of my hunt as ts burning a hole in my pocket and am itching to get started. As too the music I like, everything from Robert Johnson to Jimmy Page, with a whole lot of other musos inbetween…

Anonymous

Buy what feels and sounds "right" to you and forget about the cost, if you’ve got the money, do what works. Just be reasonably sure that you’re serious about it.

Anonymous

: Hmm.There are a lot of good guitars out there.Esp, Ibanez,Carvin,Gibsons and Fenders.What style of music do you want to play?? You might want to start with a
      : decent fist axe(00-00).But as far as amps go….
      : Fender Twin Reverbs are the ones for me.Traveling amps,
      : I like the Tech 21s.They have very nice tone for solid
      : state amps,lovley reverb and Zappa-like(R.I.P.)overdrive.
      : The Gibson Les Paul and Fender Twin Reverb is probably
      : the best marriage in music history!!
      : Good Luck

Anonymous

Hmm.There are a lot of good guitars out there.Esp, Ibanez,Carvin,Gibsons and Fenders.What style of music do you want to play?? You might want to start with a
      decent fist axe(00-00).But as far as amps go….
      Fender Twin Reverbs are the ones for me.Traveling amps,
      I like the Tech 21s.They have very nice tone for solid
      state amps,lovley tone and Zappa-like(R.I.P.)overdrive.
      The Gibson Les Paul and Fender Twin Reverb is probably
      the best marriage in music history!!
      Good Luck

Anonymous

: Excuse my ignorance, am totally new to guitar playing, but have come into some money through an inheritance which gives me the opportunity to splash out on my first electric guitar. I can afford to spend up too £2000 (a lot I know, hence the question).

: Is it really worth my while spending that on my first guitar and amp? or should I start cheaper and work up?, as I know I will want the best one one day.

: Many thanks.

: Naz.

It is the better way to go, but if you are a begginer that may not want to play the guitar, after a while it could become a big mistake. If you really want to play, good gear works out in the long run. I’d say if you are spending all of that money, get a better amp than your guitar, or you could spend the same amount on both. Depending on your style your taste will be different. Definetly get a good tube amp, or you could look into digital amps, like a Johnson. Sky is the limit.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.