Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics Columbus guitar

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I bought a Columbus Les-Paul copy at an Auction a while ago. It was in not bad condition paid £30 for it. I find that the tones I can get from this machine are very good with the original pic-ups.

I know nothing about Columbus guitars and wonder if any one else has experience of the make. I think this guitar is around the late 60’s vintage and that’s all I know about it.

Any info would be a great help.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Just seen this forum for the first time – very interesting! I am a guitar builder (retired – but still build ‘em for myself). I have a Columbus black LP that must be 50 or more years old. I agree with others about the sound – some years ago a colleague and I did a side-by-side test of this guitar alongside a “real one”. They sounded very similar until we turned the wick right up, at which point the Columbus began to sound a bit “fluffy” whilst the real one was razor sharp – but you rarely play that loud. I am in the process of rebuilding it. I have re-fretted it and am replacing all of the hardware and electronics. I design and manufacture my own pickups. I will fit a pair of low-wind humbuckers with coil splitter. Columbus guitars have certainly been underrated – they were very good. I am only replacing everything on this baby ‘cos everything was either very tarnished or work out. When I stripped down one of the original pickups I was amazed that such a good sound could have come from such a crude item. I also re-fitted the neck to look like a real LP – added more wood to the back of the heel and in-letter it further into the body – glued, not bolt on and adjusted the neck angle from three degrees to the correct five degrees. Getting ready now for the paint job.

Anonymous

HI I HAVE SINCE NEW BOUGHT IN THE EARLY 80s A COLUMBUS SERIES 2 TELECASTER SHAPE WITH SERIAL No 881121, CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE EXACT YEAR OF MANUFACTURE.

Anonymous

There is a strat copy Columbus in auction at bodmin (cornwall) I tried it and it`s not great .Asking price of £100 plus faintly ridiculous when other strat copies are out there for £30 second hand that play better.

Anonymous

Hello, can anyone help me identify what type of model this is, it was made in Japan?

Thanks

Anonymous

Hi, just picked up a Columbus LP. For me, I am more than pleased. Actually really like it. The sound has attitude. Plays well, frets aren’t speed bumps so I am shifting around the fret-board with ease, a revaluation! Maybe not every bodies cup of tea but I would like to keep it. It is cutting out and one of the pickups, think its the neck not working. Yer could be the pots but …. does anybody have any suggestions as to what pickups they were using back then in the days?

Anonymous

Just picked up a black and white Made in Japan Columbus Les Paul for £30. Last owner said it did not work. Brought it home, gave it a shake, plugged it in, started fiddling with bridge switch and …hey presto!! A quick check, found a loose wire, soldered it back on. Incredible sound! The neck action is so comfortable. At the moment it is only working off the bridge pick up. I will be giving it a thorough going over and hopefully restoring with the existing originals. But I am concerned that I may have to replace the non working pick up or both, depending on how the restoration goes. Can anyone recommend a like for likeness pick up as a substitute or combinations of pick ups. And while you are at it, has any changed the pots or capacitors. What would you recommend? The sound caught me completely by surprise, seriously good, so I am on a mission to keep it.

Anonymous

My first electric guitar given to me on my 13th birthday in the early 1980’s and I’ve still got it, still play it and still love it! I’ve had it set up professionally once or twice, the electrics can be a wee bit crackly (like my knees) but it plays well, has a lovely low action and stays in tune right up the fret board. Does go a bit out of tune on violent string bendings but I can live with that. Mine is a Japanese made model. No idea where my parents got it.

Anonymous

I picked one of these lovely guitars up in a charity shop for £5 last year a bit worst for ware, striped it down cleaned it up replaced the strings and it is one I really do enjoy playing.

Anonymous

My second guitar was brown Columbus SG. It was sh*t, but less sh*t than my first guitar a Top 20 Strat.
      I pimped my ‘SG’ with a DiMarzio humbucker in the bridge position. It still sounded and played sh*t. You had to retune when you got more than half way up the neck.
      This was 30 + years ago. A
      few years ago when moving house, I retrieved the guitar in its hard case from the loft. I kept the hard case but fulfilled a life long ambition and wrapped the Columbus ‘SG’ around a tree in the garden. Always wanted to smash up a guitar and the ‘SG’ did not disappoint.
      The first swing cleaved the neck from the body with the following swing (body now only attached to neck that I was holding by a 30 years old set of rotosound 9’s) spat the pickup plate and electrics onto the ground and sent the bridge spiralling down the garden path.
      After a few more unrepentant swings, I completed the coup de gras by burning the thing in the garden, could not even be bothered to remove the DiMarzio!
      My old band mates said I should have sold tickets…

Anonymous

My first electric guitar was lefty a cherry burst Columbus LP I bought for £75 second hand in 1983.
        It was pretty dreadful, to be honest, but not as dreadful as my mates’ new Hondo Strat copies, and at least the neck was straight and played in tune.
        It hung around for almost 4 years, then when I turned 17 I got a Fender Strat and sold the Columbus for £55 via the Newcastle Evening Chronicle classified ads.
        Trashing it Ritchie Blackmore style would have been far more fun though…..

Anonymous

Know for sure Columbus sold some acoustics as seen one that was without doubt made in maison factory so would defo recommend their acoustics made in Korea as worth a punt as likely to be ubder priced for quality.

Anonymous

Some more info…

Having recently got a columbus crest 335 and doing lots of research…

There were some columbus made in Matsumoku factory in Japan. Maison also made some guitars for Columbus in Korea (real solid wood not laminate, but not sure what models or dates).

There were also some cheaper ones made after logo was sold.

Most of 70’s early 80’s 335 copies I have seen have a columbus series 3 logo with a kinda arrow swosh thing.

The one i have just has a Columbus Crest name no markings on neck attaching plate (common for matsumoku to have blank plates). The only couple of 335’s i’ve found online with this headstock logo seem to point to mid-late 60’s (one said Korean 80’s but it’s defo Korean). The body of these early ones is a lot curvier then later ones (on front and back of body and a lot curvier than any low end crap would bother with effort). Think these are effectively the first they did (truss rod cover, tuning mechs, blank plate on neck and other things point to matsumoku as seen identical on other guitars from them. Also the rich tone from playing un-amped points to some definite age to the wood.

Will update if get any more info or more specific info about what they sold and how to identify diff eras.

Anonymous

Hi,
        I’m quite into collecting Columbus guitars. I have their copy of the Gibson Hummingbird which I’ve had for around 40 years, sounds amazing. I also have a Strat copy, a Tele (series2) and an Les Paul copy and tbh I really can’t fault them.

Anonymous

Hi,
        I’m quite into collecting Columbus guitars. I have their copy of the Gibson Hummingbird which I’ve had for around 40 years, sounds amazing. I also have a Strat copy, a Tele (series2) and an Les Paul copy and tbh I really can’t fault them.

Anonymous

I’ve maned to add a 3/4 size Fender Mustang copy, a full size Mustang red with competition stripes and a Gibson 330 copy to the collection. All in good condition and sound/play great.

Anonymous

They vary…

Some were made in Japan same factory as ibanez, there are even some made by Maison who were a Korean company but rarely they used quality woods and were hand built, there are also some assembled by Columbus themselves which I believe are later ones and much lower quality (though playable).

This probably accounts for low rep some get and high rep others get. The maison built ones are awesome and assume some of Mij ones are also good.

Anonymous

I have just restored a lovely Columbus LP, I paid £30 at a boot sale, & it has been stored for about 9 months, the reason, only bridge pickup worked. I saw it in my shed (with many project guitars) could’nt remember what it was (wrapped) so, rainy day, decided to try it, & clean it up, luckily, I have about 30 old pickups & found 2 that could replace it, tried the impedance, & chose 1, (they did’nt use real humbuckers then, just looked like one) took it apart & used the original 6 screws back in the top, polished, it looked good, so tested, & fitted, now sounds & looks superb, I was going to put on EBay for about £85 , but I think I will keep it. A few chips/dings on the back edges, but the front looks almost new! No dings, good neck & intonation, I also have a mint Gibson LP, but this copy is a very good guitar!

Anonymous

My first guitar in 1988 was a Columbus Constellation 13/0 (Les Paul copy) in white, which was bought from my Dad’s friend for £90 on my 10th birthday. It had been upgraded to Dimarzio’s by the previous owner and it really is a good sounding guitar which does play really well. At the time I moaned a lot about the weight as it is a heavy old lump!

About 10 yrs ago I managed to find another exactly the same on ebay for £60 – it’s just missing a pick guard and has, I assume the original pick-ups. This second guitar was bought as a “spares” guitar incase my first need any. It hasn’t!

I have decided to hang onto them both as there is a lot of sentimental value (especially with the first) and they play really well and can stand up to quite a lot……I’m gonna go and take it out for a play now.

If you visit vinteaxe.com you can see the original catalogue with a few other models – worth a look.

Anonymous

I bought a Columbus Les Paul copy in black from a shop that sold all sorts of tat in Acton, West London for £30 in 1978. I still have it but almost gave it away but so glad I didn’t. I hadn’t touched it for years until recently and I have to say I’m glad I still have it. Made in Japan, it’ very well put together but the wiring was always a bit hit and miss and could only play with the rhythm switch. I’m going to have a go at repairing it and enjoy playing again. I also forgot how heavy the thing is.

Anonymous

I have a left handed Columbus LP in cream. Haven,t played it for about 5 yrs and is ready for a restring but a guitarist mate said it had a good action and sound. Bought it second hand around 2002 and remember them being sold in the 70s for about £70. Think mine is a Japanese model with gold machine heads etc. Looks like a Yamaha LP copy I remember being sold in a Sheffield music shop in 1973.

Anonymous

Columbus guitars were made in Japan’s Matsumoku factory. Primarily all electric copies of Les Paul, Strat, SG, 335, Tele. I have never seen a Columbus acoustic guitar.

Anonymous

I have a les paul Columbus that my father bought from England about 30years or so ago, he passed now so I cant get the exact date..its in need of a lot of work tho, but cant find a good repair shop where I live I can trust to do it

Anonymous

I am an ex pro bass player and occasionally repair/restore and build guitars. I also buy via auctions and car boots.

A friend recently asked me to restore a Columbus strat copy which was completely knackered. He had played it for seventeen years in a band back in the sixties/seventies.
      I qouted him for at least for thirty hours work. It was that bad!!!! He said ” he could not afford it ” so offered it to me for spares.
      Over christmas of last year I decided to completely restore it purely to test my repair skills, and 55 hours work later it was back to almost new condition.

The big downer was that it would not play in tune above the fifth fret and on checking the intonation it was impossible to set correctly due to the bridge being mounted in the wrong place.
      Lord knows how he had managed to play it in that state for 17 years and I hate to imagine what the band sounded like!!!!
      Another friend of mine owns a Jedson from the same period which also had exactly the same fault. Could all these copies have come from the same factory and have been drilled using the same dodgy template?

If you are offered one of these guitars check the intonation first and make sure there is enough adjustment available on the bridge to compensate, otherwise you will have to relocate the bridge. The neck is also incredibly narrow. Not suitable for big thick fingers and the selector switch is only three way. At least they copied that exactly right for the period.
      Also the solid metal block usually on the tremelo/bridge unit is in fact not solid but a bent metal plate which makes string changing very difficult in a hurry.
      Its an interesting guitar from those very early days of brit rock.

Mike Smith

Anonymous

I play in a pro band and bought a cream Columbus LP at a sale for £35. as it just looked so good. Circa 1973. It plays and sounds amazing and is wholly original.
      People assume its a Gibson until they see the headstock. Columbus were top end copies in their day and if you ever come across one Id recommend getting it.
      Machine heads are good quality and intonation spot on.

Anonymous

This guitar is fine if you personalise it with diferent pickups, sort the intonation out and good strings but to be honest virtually anything electric guitar wise is fine with a little help. Just pick it up, play it and enjoy.
      All the best

Anonymous

I got one of the black Columbus Les Paul copies when I was in school about 15 years ago. Cost me £7 (haggled down from a tenner!). Apparently it had been stuck there for years waiting for someone to fix it up lol It still works although I am thinking of ripping all the old electrics out of it now and replacing them. Still stays in tune and it’s almost as heavy as the real thing! excellent sustain…

Anonymous

If You paid 7 quid for the columbus you robed him
        I have had one from new in 1975 I was 16 going on 17
        It’s paid for itself over and over am fitting a set of Seymour Duncan humbuckers and a roller bridge instead of the tune o matic and a roller nut an fixing a chipe off the head stock and the binding but its the black beauty copy so i might just paint the stock black and pin stripe
        We’re the binding is also have an sg same year and make

Anonymous

I bought one from a catalogue in around 1980. I always thought I had no taste, because to me there wasn’t much difference between the sound of my columbus les paul copy and the real thing, but since then I have heard people saying good things about the old columbus. Now 24 years later (groan!) I still love it, still feel closer to it than my fender strat, which I have had about 20 years.

Anonymous

I had a Columbus Les Paul back around 1977 when I was a spotty 15-year-old (as opposed to a spotty 42-year-old!). It was a tobacco sunburst I think and all these years I wondered what became of it as I can’t remember when I last saw it. Then my brother phoned me yesterday to say he’d found it in his attic and has had it cleaned up and the action adjusted. It still works and apparently sounds pretty good. He had an Ibanez Les Paul around the same time, although we’ve both now moved on to "name" guitars – he has a Strat, while I’m the proud owner of a Gibson Les Paul Studio, a Strat and en Epiphone Sheraton. I can’t wait to re-acquaint myself with old Columbus though – hopefully get to grips with it next weekend. Will let you know how it goes!

Anonymous

: the first guitar I ever had was a columbus les paul and I agree Dave,both the action and the pick up quality were both high quality for a cheapish guitar,I wish that I still had it.It was a left hooker and tobacco sunburst,does anyone out there know if any of the lefty series les paul copies are still available?

Anonymous

Hi there I don’t know about 60’s instruments but there were certainly Columbus Les Paul copies around in the UK in the early 1980’s. The ones I saw (in Walsall) were all modelled on the Les Paul Custom in either black or white finish – quite nice looking and if I remember rightly they were better quality than many of the cheap copies around at that time. I think they were made in Japan, and the shop price back then was about £100. That’s all I know about them. Cheers, Dave. : I bought a Columbus Les-Paul copy at an Auction a while ago. It was in not bad condition paid £30 for it. I find that the tones I can get from this machine are very good with the original pic-ups. : I know nothing about Columbus guitars and wonder if any one else has experience of the make. I think this guitar is around the late 60’s vintage and thats all I know about it. : Any info would be a great help.

Anonymous

Hi, I bought my Columbus ‘El Paso’ guitar in 1973 I still own it today. It was cheap then and although other guitars were far more expensive, this guitar a wonderful loud sound from the body. The top three frets need to be renewed but I capo up three and all is well.

Anonymous

I have just found my brother’s old Columbus Les Paul copy from what must have been the late 70s. I thought it looked completely knackered as it had gouges out of it. But I have stuck strings on it, adjusted the bridge for height and intonation, and the thing feels like just about the hardest working guitar in the world. I haven’t got the action right down, and the strings are mixture of 10s and 11s as I like heavy ones, but this guitar feels as though it could gig. There isn’t anything wrong with it at all. Sounds good, feels tough, plays well, takes knocks, stays in tune. I hope I’m the same in my thirties. Actually, I am in my forties. I have actually put down my Mexican Fender strat for around three months now as I am fascinated by the Columbus. If anyone has any more details on the guitar I would like to know too.

Anonymous

I have just found my brother’s old Columbus Les Paul copy from what must have been the late 70s. I thought it looked completely knackered as it had gouges out of it. But I have stuck strings on it, adjusted the bridge for height and intonation, and the thing feels like just about the hardest working guitar in the world. I haven’t got the action right down, and the strings are mixture of 10s and 11s as I like heavy ones, but this guitar feels as though it could gig. There isn’t anything wrong with it at all. Sounds good, feels tough, plays well, takes knocks, stays in tune. I hope I’m the same in my thirties. Actually, I am in my forties. I have actually put down my Mexican Fender strat for around three months now as I am fascinated by the Columbus. If anyone has any more details on the guitar I would like to know too.

Anonymous

I bought a Columbus Les paul ( black ) in 1975. It was a couple of years old then!. i’ve still got it and it plays fine. Had to replace some of the electrics but otherwise fine. I’ve never seen another since I bought it : Hi there : I don’t know about 60’s instruments but there were certainly Columbus Les Paul copies around in the UK in the early 1980’s. The ones I saw (in Walsall) were all modelled on the Les Paul Custom in either black or white finish – quite nice looking and if I remember rightly they were better quality than many of the cheap copies around at that time. I think they were made in Japan, and the shop price back then was about £100. That’s all I know about them. Cheers, Dave. : : I bought a Columbus Les-Paul copy at an Auction a while ago. It was in not bad condition paid £30 for it. I find that the tones I can get from this machine are very good with the original pic-ups. : : I know nothing about Columbus guitars and wonder if any one else has experience of the make. I think this guitar is around the late 60’s vintage and thats all I know about it. : : Any info would be a great help.

Anonymous

I’ve had a Columbus Les Paul copy since the very early 70s. At that time they were made in Japan but later they moved to Taiwan I think.
          It cost me £77, it’s worked hard and after all these years it is still 100% original. A little tired and worn now, but so am I.

Anonymous

: Hi there : I don’t know about 60’s instruments but there were certainly Columbus Les Paul copies around in the UK in the early 1980’s. The ones I saw (in Walsall) were all modelled on the Les Paul Custom in either black or white finish – quite nice looking and if I remember rightly they were better quality than many of the cheap copies around at that time. I think they were made in Japan, and the shop price back then was about £100. That’s all I know about them. Cheers, Dave. : : I bought a Columbus Les-Paul copy at an Auction a while ago. It was in not bad condition paid £30 for it. I find that the tones I can get from this machine are very good with the original pic-ups. : : I know nothing about Columbus guitars and wonder if any one else has experience of the make. I think this guitar is around the late 60’s vintage and thats all I know about it. : : Any info would be a great help. I BOUGHT A "COLUMBUS" TRADEMARK GUITAR,ACOUSTIC,APPARENTLY KOA OR TIGER MAPLE 2 PIECE BACK, AND SIDES ,I WOULD GUESS 1920S , INLAID BINDINGS , AND MARKED SPECIALLY BUILT FOR GRINNELL BROTHERS,DETROIT ,AND WOULD APPRECIATE KNOWING THE MAKER AND OR HISTORY. COULD IT BE THE SAME ONE THOUGH THE PERIODS ARE SO DIFFERENT? THANKS,TOM

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.