Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics Amps

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

What would be a good sounding amp for a beginner (at a reasonable price), that won’t let you down when you start making progress (there even might be the odd gig)? Any idea would be great help, thank you.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

: What would be a good sounding amp for a beginner (at a reasonable price), that won’t let you down when you start making progress (there even might be the odd gig)? Any idea would be great help, thank you. Hello mate, the marshall MG series is probibly the best for starting off as u get a quality sound for real cheap, also you can get a 1/2 stack MG for about $500 dollers, And combos For 50-100 watts are only $150-250. Hope this helps.

Anonymous

I should add: the amps that would attract me most would be small tube amps. Any help?

Anonymous

: I should add: the amps that would attract me most would be small tube amps. Any help? tube amps sound nice, but cost more than non-tube amps. this sucks for us, since we like tube amps! you could check out pawn shops or classifieds for tubes amps. you never know, some druggie might sell his tube amp for nothing. on the other hand, chekc out the various catalogs you can get online, and order a copy of them. AMS, and musicians freind seem to be decent. a few others are out there too. they might be cheaper. altho some stores will lower their prices if they know your interested, rather than lose a sale, so couldnt hurt to check and see how that goes too. i dont know how cheap is cheap for you. you didnt mention a price range. 500 bucks isn’t cheap to me. i wish it was! I really like the fender deluxe reissue, but cant afford it. its about 800 bucks. i would say go by what your ear says not what the amp "type" is. Some hybrid amps sound pretty good. some of these amps that have amp emulation on arent too bad either. some amps arent tube but they sound ok. some are almost like a tube amp. I have a used Peavey Deuce amp, when i first tried it out i thought it was a tube amp. and then i saw tubes in it, so thought it was. but its a hybrid amp. power section is tubes, but not the preamp. still, i figured, it sounded good and i didnt know it wasnt a tube amp when i tried it out and liked it, so i got it. try to stick with decent brands. remember tube amps tubes can cost alot too, for maintanance so see what type of tubes are in the amp, and how many, and how much they cost to replace too. i would say, if its a tube amp, make sure it works perfectly when you get it, so you dont have to pay for tubes right off. some people make their tubes last a month, and others can make them last years and years without any replacements needed. depends partly on the quality of the amp and the tubes, but also how much you bounce the amp around, how much ya use it, and pot luck. Also dont be fooled by the wattage of the amp. some amps are pretty loud even tho theyre only 20 watts. some can be 50 watts and not very loud. i guess its all in the design. For the money, i like the smaller peavey tube amps. they’re very similar to the fenders but a little less in price usually. just look around and use your own sense, and ears.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.