Musicians Beware of the Venezuelan Musicologist SCAM!!!

Posted by Jan Ryan on Wed, 01/14/04 - 05:28:15.
Advertisement

Hi there,
It seems that lots of us musicians may have already or will eventually receive an email from a person calling themselves "Reinaldo Javier Sanchez".
This person claims to be a female musicologist and researcher, Ph.D., M.Sc. They go on to say that they're a professor of rock and pop music history at a university in Venezuela and that they'd like you to help them out by sending them a bunch of your cd's to be used for research purposes for their students of rock music.... YEAH SURE!!!
Beware!! This is a scam designed to make a quick buck...in fact lots of bucks!!
These people are possibly making somewhere in the region of $US 10,000 a year from this little scam...simply by selling the artist's cd on the black market and various music stalls etc as soon as it arrives in their mailbox....and it's costing them absolutely nothing to do this!! As it's trusting and gullible musicians like us who are graciously and through the kindness of our own hearts sending it to them (all postage paid!!) in the honest belief that they're actually interested in the music and using it for research purposes...for university students no less!
I have now received this email around 5 times...a couple of times with a different (scanned photo) of the supposed female musicologist and researcher, Ph.D., M.Sc... blah blah blah ...Once with the same photo.. but a different person!!
I haven't actually fallen for this one myself.... but it makes me mad as hell and I thought it's about time something should be done about it, as the life of a muso can already be hard enough, just having to deal with all the liars, ripoffs, conmen and shit talkers out there who have always freely operated within and will forever continue to clutter up our industry!! Some of us seem to attract these creeps like moths to a light bulb!!
Jan

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Opera singer Dan Paul Dumitrescu

Hi you all there, I got the same SCAM from the same person as being this time a musicologist, willing to teach his "thursty" students for classicla music and opera ome of my roster artists voice tecnique. Thanks to you I am protected now to not send to this person our CD.
I hope that others are smart enough to search in the net for this name
Thank you all again
Sarah

Gordon Pate is a 5th

Gordon Pate is a 5th generation resident of Bryan-College Station, his extensive knowledge of the area and its culture helps you get acquainted with Bryan-College Station Real Estate. He offers various homes for sale college station properties that satisfy what you need and what you want.Visit http://www.gordonpate.com

Today a long waited feature

Today a long waited feature became available for bluehoursite.com. From now with an Apple iOS device you can bring the blue hour calculator with you anywhere, even with places with no internet connection.

Its not just music people

Its not just music people being scammed - i am a film maker and i have had MSc. Reinaldo J. Sanchez. - write to me 3 times and ask for some DVDS. Of course, I would not have sent them anyway - (it would cost me too much) but a google search of their name bought me here - so thanks for confirming it IS a scam. I hope others also check it out before sending off their cds, or DVDs. All the best

scam

I also received this request to send my dvd's for his film class at God knows what college or University. If someone was that interested in my work I'd be amazed.
SCAM don't buy into it.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.