Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Yamaha SE1203A Electric guitar

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I’m finding it very difficult to find information on this guitar. If anyone has info such as manufacturer dates, construction and value I would really appreciate it. Any information is better than none.
    Thanks,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I had a white one with gold fitting that my Son bought me for a present about 30 years ago….I could not play it because the bridge was too high and I like to rest the heel of my hand on the bridge to play….It sat in a closet in touched for all those years. I tried to sell it as an new/never played antique for a few years but no one gave me a reasonable offer. I finally was able trade it at a Guitar Center Store in Fort Myers Fla. I got a Mahogany Fender Flat top and a Fender Strat…both new…I almost ran out of the store in case they changed their mind…

Anonymous

I have a 1987 SE1212a needs a little love but the finest feeling neck ever. Make an offer

Anonymous

I am trying to date my guitar but Yamaha recycles the serial numbers every ten years. What years was this model released in?
      As for the draining battery and thumps Mick has.
      Don’t worry about the wiring schematic yet. Try a different patch cord first. Visually check for short circuits in the guitar second. Take a fine soldering iron eg. 25 watt and remelt all the solder joints around the 1/4″ jack and around the battery connections third . These are your electrical wear points. Don’t overheat the circuit board.
      Phraynck, Canada

Anonymous

Hi, Ive had one of these since 1991, It came my way in part of a deal on some other gear. At the time i thought the fella had made a huge mistake in letting it go. But ever since I first played it I was hooked, so versatile, my other guitars are Ricky 480 and 89 strat both very different sounds, the Yamaha has almost a strat sound and a gibson type sound at the flick of a switch. Now is where I have a small problem, For some unknown reason the wiring started going strange, It all comes from somewhere round about the jack socket and the battery. The battery used to last forever but now I’d be very lucky for it to last one gig! It makes one hell of a racket a real loud bang as in pulling out a jack at full volume. More than capable of blowing my E V’s in my amp. I’m writing to you as my last hope, I’ve tried to find a wiring diagram but thet’s more difficult than trying to find another guitar the same!The tech details are, 5p pick up switch, 1xvol, 2xtone, mid boost and coil split. I’m certain my problem is from the active circuit area. I really hope someone can give me some help with this, Anyone with one of these guitars should take a photo of the wiring just in case!!!! here’s hopeful, Mick, UK.

Anonymous

You can get date of manufacture from Yamaha’s website, just get the serial number from the headstock and enter it at: http://www.yamaha.com/apps/guitararchives/guitarserial.htm As far as models go, Yamaha tends to forget about them after a few years. I have an SE1212, which is the same except for the pickup configuration. I have an owver’s manual which I can scan for you if you like. Value – who knows? $200 maybe? Mine was $650 brand new in 1987. I never cared about the value because I would never sell it. It is a really nice guitar.

Anonymous

I have had mine since at least the early 90’s. It is black metalflake finish with gold hardware. I liken it to a Clapton Strat with the active pickups. I toured with this guitar for decades and it never let me down.
        I was just renewing my instrument insurance and google it to find the current value. I came across your post.
        I think I may have paid $1200 Canadian, but don’t really recall.
        I mostly play either acoustic or an old Epiphone archtop these days, but it wouldn’t be worth selling off this wonderful axe. Sad that it mostly languishes in it’s case.

Anonymous

: You can get date of manufacture from Yamaha’s website, just get the serial number from the headstock and enter it at: : http://www.yamaha.com/apps/guitararchives/guitarserial.htm : As far as models go, Yamaha tends to forget about them after a few years. : I have an SE1212, which is the same except for the pickup configuration. I have an owver’s manual which I can scan for you if you like. : Value – who knows? $200 maybe? : Mine was $650 brand new in 1987. I never cared about the value because I would never sell it. It is a really nice guitar. Thanks fot your reply. I visited the site that you suggested, again thanks. If you wouldn’t mind scanning me a copy of the manual, that would be great. $200.00…that’s it! Oh well, I thought it might be worth a little more than that. Thanks again,

Anonymous

Hi, I have an old Yamaha SE1212A active guitar, It is desperate need of a re wire, I’ve tried everywhere I can think of but no luck so far, I read this article saying you had a circuit diagram you could scan and send out? I would be forever in your debt if you could send me what you have please. any kind of drawing or even a back cover off photo. Here’s hoping, Mick from England

Anonymous

I have a nice red SE1203A myself, and many people have played it.. I’ve been offered well over $5000 for mine. Everyone who has played it says it was the best guitar they’ve ever used, and keep bugging me to use it for their studio sessions (over their expensive Tele’s and Les Pauls) It’s worth what someone will give you for it 😉 Yamaha knows very little about this guitar. I called them looking for a few missing parts, and they were amazed to hear anyone had it. I had to import mine (because of the ‘A’ for active electronics) Email me with ‘SE1203A’ in the subject line if you want any info on it..

Anonymous

I bought one a couple of years ago for $450.00 CDN. It was brand new when I got it. I bought it from a used instrument dealer who had bought up the remaining stock from another music store that had gone out of business (hence the great price). They estimated it probably would have gone for about a grand (Canadian $) but priced it to sell as they paid very little for it. The pickups are almost identical in tone and appearance to a set of EMG S pickups, right down to the epoxy potting, internal electronics and silver script (only these say YAMAHA :P). The controls on mine are volume, standard tone (trebel cut) and a mid booster a la EMG SPC. I bought this guitar to get some Gilmour-esque tones, and it delivers amazingly! Nicer playing than a Strat up high because of its neck-through construction, and it looks killer with a platinum finish and gold hardware. My only complaint about this axe is the tremolo system is a proprietary Yamaha system. They quoted me almost $50 for a new bar (just the arm)!!! And the posts aren’t standard spaced so replacing it is pretty much out of the question. But definitely a great guitar overall. I would never get rid of mine… although more than US$5000 might tempt me :). Thor http://www.sugardaddyrocks.com

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.