Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Hohner HW-400N Acoustic Guitar

• This topic has 9 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 10 years ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Has anyone ever heard of this model? Would really appreciate feedback. Thanks!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I just bought an Ovation Celebrity with a birds eye top and electronics built in at a flea market this morning for $50.00 in just beautiful condition. But it did not have the loudness I was looking for.
      I bought it to have something to play in my hotel room while on work travel.
      So I figured I’d go to a pawn shop and see if I could pick up a small amp.
      Well that did not work at the first pawn shop I went to. So I went to another and they did not have much of a choice either. But I did notice a couple of old box guitars and both were Hohner.
      I ask the pawn guy if he would be interested in a trade for the Ovation Celebrity for one of the Hohners.
      He said bring it in. So I went to the rental car and got it of course it had no case.
      He liked it and said I’ll trade you if you want one of the Hohners and I’ll give you $40.00.
      I’m thinking OK, $50.00 for an Ovation I did not like very well because it did not vociferate much and the Hohner HW-400C that Played very good with low action and also very clean with a case and a new set of strings.
      I said done deal and walked out with the Hohner and $40.00 to boot.
      Mr. Happy in my hotel room. Have a Great Year All.

Anonymous

I just acquired one made in Korea, for $26 with the case. It says Western Series on the label.

This is a dreadnought size body (an even 20 inches long), and even with its old strings still sounds pretty darn near as good as my Japanese made Ibanez 645 Martin copy with new strings.

It looks like a solid cedar top to me. I don’t understand why some people are calling this a beginner’s guitar.

I could easily picture someone playing it at a live gig, it sounds that good!

Hope you’ll “Like” my page:
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Guitarboro/341380642631232?ref=hl

Anonymous

I just acquired one made in Korea, for $26 with the case. It says Western Series on the label.

This is a dreadnought size body (an even 20 inches long), and even with its old strings still sounds pretty darn near as good as my Japanese made Ibanez 645 Martin copy with new strings.

It looks like a solid cedar top to me. I don’t understand why some people are calling this a beginner’s guitar.

I could easily picture someone playing it at a live gig, it sounds that good!

Hope you’ll “Like” my page:
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Guitarboro/341380642631232?ref=hl

Anonymous

I also have this Guitar and it is a fairly decent unit as in the Early 90’s I paid $125 for it New. the only problem I had (didn’t notice when purchased ) iis the truss rod doesn’t work at all ! I shaved the bridge to compensate for string height and it plays well. Especially with Fatter strings ie .012″

Anonymous

Something to consider. The bridge is glued on after the finish, glued right down over it. The bridge is prone to pull away.
      I cleaned and re glued mine along with a bone nut and saddle. I use medium strings and play country blues and Delta in an open tuning. Sounds very good now.

Anonymous

Yes I have one…it is in very nice condition… : Has anyone ever heard of this model? Would really appreciate feedback. Thanks!

Anonymous

This is a very old post, but I’m answering anyway…. I have this guitar also. It’s just a beginners guitar. I called Hohner spring/summer of 2002, they told me it’s worth around $270 (ish). I paid about $200 in 1999. I bought is to deconstruct it and then try to improve it by reconstructing it for a learning experiance. However, I wound up losing my good guitar and never replaced it. This HW-400N has been my only guitar for about 5 years. I’ve done some work on it to improve the quality of the sound and action, but it simply has no bottom end… it sounds very flat, especially the bass. If your a beginner I recommend this guitar because it’s easy to play. It has passed for keeping my fingers up to speed and when it has new strings it sounds ok. If your not a beginner, go spend a little more money on a Guild, Taylor or whatever. The better quality guitar, the more you will enjoy playing and learning to play. : Yes I have one…it is in very nice condition… : : Has anyone ever heard of this model? Would really appreciate feedback. Thanks!

Anonymous

Sorry for not following up sooner. Every once in awhile I look for info on my guitar. I have had it for about 3-4 years. I paid $50 for the guitar and some other stuff. The guy needed money for gas and smokes. kind of a loser, so I didn’t mind taking advantage of him…lol It’s not a bad guitar, only very minor scatches in the finish when I got it. I modified it last year by putting in an EQ/Electronic pickup (under the bridge). I’d like to sell it and get a better guitar, but I really had no idea what it would be worth. I agree that it is probably just a beginners guitar. But for less $50, it has served me well… : This is a very old post, but I’m answering anyway…. : I have this guitar also. It’s just a beginners guitar. I called Hohner spring/summer of 2002, they told me it’s worth around $270 (ish). I paid about $200 in 1999. I bought is to deconstruct it and then try to improve it by reconstructing it for a learning experiance. However, I wound up losing my good guitar and never replaced it. This HW-400N has been my only guitar for about 5 years. I’ve done some work on it to improve the quality of the sound and action, but it simply has no bottom end… it sounds very flat, especially the bass. If your a beginner I recommend this guitar because it’s easy to play. It has passed for keeping my fingers up to speed and when it has new strings it sounds ok. : If your not a beginner, go spend a little more money on a Guild, Taylor or whatever. The better quality guitar, the more you will enjoy playing and learning to play. : : Yes I have one…it is in very nice condition… : : : Has anyone ever heard of this model? Would really appreciate feedback. Thanks!

Anonymous

: Has anyone ever heard of this model? Would really appreciate feedback. Thanks! Hello! My name is Alexandr Kasjanov. I live in Saint-Petersburg(Russia). I have this model of guitar. Me and my guitar like blues so much. I want to take any information about this model of Hohner. All sites, what I found can’t help me.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.