Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Balancing Floyd Rose Unit / Getting Lower action

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

The first guitar I bought (and still play) is a Fender Fat Strat, with the Floyd Rose II Tremelo bridge. I wanted to put new strings on about a week later, so I just took them all off at the same time. I guess that’s a no-no, eh? When I tried to put new ones back on, i’d chase myself in circles as each string pulled the trem unit higher and higher from the body of the guitar. Eventually I got so pissed I just loosened my low e string all the way and SNAP goes a few of the strings. So I just took them all off I went on the net for help. Of course it was too late to do it the right way (one at a time, with something holding the unit up to keep the tension from going out). I told somebody about what had happened, and they said that my unit was probably "unbalanced". So now I cannot tune my guitar up to pitch. Only Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, and Eb. And that’s after like an hour of fidling. I can only assume that something is critically wrong. Any advice/suggestions on what I can do? I don’t want to go spend 35 bucks at the shop to have them fix it for me if I don’t have to. Also, I tried tightening the unit through the back panel, but that totally disabled my trem use (ick! I kinda got the guitar because I wanted to use it). Another probably I’m having is getting the action low. It seems pretty damn high, and I wish I could get it lower. If I lower it using the adjustment screws, the back end of the trem sticks up because the front is too low. Even then, it’s not low enough. How can I get better action (lower) without going insane? I’m considering getting this set up and then selling it to upgrade to a different guitar (without trem). Thanks for any help you may have! Shawn

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I’ve got an -87 Custom Rhoads and it has obviously got a Rose Floyd. So I’ve had the same problem. There’s a great article about the subject on Jackson’s homepage (www.jacksonguitars.com). I see You have written this a long time ago but just in case, read about it. You should also check the truss rod and the number of springs plus the adjustment screws for the springs. : The first guitar I bought (and still play) is a Fender Fat Strat, with the Floyd Rose II Tremelo bridge. I wanted to put new strings on about a week later, so I just took them all off at the same time. I guess that’s a no-no, eh? When I tried to put new ones back on, i’d chase myself in circles as each string pulled the trem unit higher and higher from the body of the guitar. Eventually I got so pissed I just loosened my low e string all the way and SNAP goes a few of the strings. So I just took them all off I went on the net for help. Of course it was too late to do it the right way (one at a time, with something holding the unit up to keep the tension from going out). : I told somebody about what had happened, and they said that my unit was probably "unbalanced". So now I cannot tune my guitar up to pitch. Only Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, and Eb. And that’s after like an hour of fidling. I can only assume that something is critically wrong. Any advice/suggestions on what I can do? I don’t want to go spend 35 bucks at the shop to have them fix it for me if I don’t have to. Also, I tried tightening the unit through the back panel, but that totally disabled my trem use (ick! I kinda got the guitar because I wanted to use it). : Another probably I’m having is getting the action low. It seems pretty damn high, and I wish I could get it lower. If I lower it using the adjustment screws, the back end of the trem sticks up because the front is too low. Even then, it’s not low enough. How can I get better action (lower) without going insane? I’m considering getting this set up and then selling it to upgrade to a different guitar (without trem). : Thanks for any help you may have! : Shawn

Anonymous

I NEED THE TOOL FOR SETTING UP THE INTONATION

Anonymous

It sounds like you’re putting on a heavier set of strings than what it was originally adjusted for. If it started with .009s and you’ve put .010s on it it’ll do all the things that you’re describing. You need to either put more tension on the springs, or add a spring or two to the tremolo. You could also go lighter on the strings.

A lot of people will put a little block of wood between the tremolo and the guitar in the back before they take the strings off, it keeps the tremolo from raising all the way up while they’re trying to get it in tune.

You might try going to the music store and asking the repairman there to let you watch how to change strings on one of those things because they can be tricky.

good luck

Steve

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.