I get cramps in my fretting hand when playing barre and 5th chords. Anyone got any solutions?

Posted by ToM D on Mon, 01/01/01 - 07:20:04.

When I play for a while I start to get a cramp in the side of my
palm. Is this normal for a begginer to barre chords or wot? Please
help

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: I get cramps in my fretting hand when playing barre and 5th chords. Anyone got any solutions?

how about you learn to play like a man, you fucking winging basdard

Re: I get cramps in my fretting hand when playing barre and 5th chords. Anyone got any solutions?

It's sad to see that so many un-intelligent assholes are out there who can't post a decent answer to a relatively common question. Generally these are from the kind of guitarists who can neither play or are plain jealous of those who can.

Anyhow in regards to the question, when i first started playing many years ago my tutor use to make me rest my fretting hand on a table and in turn starting with the pinky push down on the table then with the next finger like a roll applying as much presure as thought necassary for at least 3 or 4 mins at a time. When ever you are sitting down at the table or where ever practical perform this exersise. I still use this techinque now if I fall out of practice and it really does work.
Give it a try!!

Yes it is normal. Just play more! Playing guitar is a lot like going over a hill. Sometimes it takes a lot of work, then, all of a sudden, it all gets much easier. Developing muscles, and callouses, takes a little time. Once that is done it is relatively easy to maintain them and learning comes at a much more rapid pace. Learning songs, as opposed to just practicing chords, is a great motivation as well. So is playing with other people. Just be patient and don't quit til you grt over the hill!

Gene

gene b dosent know what hes talking about the silly cunt

Wank more or you will always be crap

try stacking shelves in asda for 8 hours a day youll then know what fuking cramp is mate

Not impressed with the quality of the feedback to your question. Guess the kiddies are on this group too.

Yes, one of the earlier responses, nailed it- it is a matter of practicing until you get over the hump.

However, there are two devices to speed up the process. 1, a finger exercizer- sold in most music stores allows you to develop finger strength and flexibility. 2, I don't know what you call it, but it is a gyroscope you rotate in your hand which build strength in hand, wrist and arm. The faster you rotate it the more strength it takes to keep it going.

Good Luck- Illegitimi Non Carborundum!

Force yourself to keep playing. Don't worry too much if all the notes aren't ringing out, or if it makes buzzing noises. Learn to play a song with heaps of barre chords in it, then give yourself a break with a nice easy open chord song. Alternate between the two. Over time you will develop the strength you need, but you aren't allowed to give up!
Good luck!

: When I play for a while I start to get a cramp in the side of my
: palm. Is this normal for a begginer to barre chords or wot? Please
: help

Yes, normal. Some good suggestions already. I would add warming up, and massage. Gently massage the hand. After 30 years of playing, I have to do more warmups and massage to avoid the dreaded knife or injection.
Also, if you have a light touch, have your guitar set up for that. Some of my guitars are set light enough that take very little strength.

First thing to remember is that you don't have to put the neck in a death grip like you're choking a club owner for screwing you out of money. I don't know what (if any) the genre of music you're playing is, but in Death Metal you have to stay loose or it will SSSSLLLLOOOWWWWW YYYOOOUUU DDDOOOOWWWNNNN.....

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.