Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics twangy g string

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I have an 04 Godin exit 22 and am getting back into the guitar thing after a 20+ year break (midlife crisis thing, it was either a farari or a guitar). When I got it the g string would pull sharp at about the 2nd fret. Had it setup with a new bone nut and it’s much better but still seems to stick out like a soar thumb as being alittle twangy, just doesn’t sound right. My squire II did the same thing but not quite as bad. Is this just something me ear is hearing because no one else seems to notice. This thing and my squire has jumbo frets. Am I just not used to the frets and pulling it slightly out of tune or some sort of harmonic that I only hear? Is there any way to make this better such as a different g string to dampen this effect? I currently use 10-46 strings.

Thanks for the help
    Jack Dixon

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Jack, check the string hight at the fret(s) where it goes sharp. If the frets are to high above the fret board and you squeze the string to hard it will raise the pitch af the note played. Thus causing the "twangy" harmonics you are hearing. You may need a fret job to solve the problem. When the string is freted to produce the desired note, it should touch the fret board just behind the fret wire so that if you do squeze it a little hard it can’t go out of tune. : I have an 04 Godin exit 22 and am getting back into the guitar thing after a 20+ year break (midlife crisis thing, it was either a farari or a guitar). When I got it the g string would pull sharp at about the 2nd fret. Had it setup with a new bone nut and it’s much better but still seems to stick out like a soar thumb as being alittle twangy, just doesn’t sound right. My squire II did the same thing but not quite as bad. Is this just something me ear is hearing because no one else seems to notice. This thing and my squire has jumbo frets. Am I just not used to the frets and pulling it slightly out of tune or some sort of harmonic that I only hear? Is there any way to make this better such as a different g string to dampen this effect? I currently use 10-46 strings. : Thanks for the help : Jack Dixon

Anonymous

ferrari or a guitar, i dunno bout this one guys but id have to take the ferrari if i had the money, or id have to buy alot of guitars that would equal the ferrari. : I have an 04 Godin exit 22 and am getting back into the guitar thing after a 20+ year break (midlife crisis thing, it was either a farari or a guitar). When I got it the g string would pull sharp at about the 2nd fret. Had it setup with a new bone nut and it’s much better but still seems to stick out like a soar thumb as being alittle twangy, just doesn’t sound right. My squire II did the same thing but not quite as bad. Is this just something me ear is hearing because no one else seems to notice. This thing and my squire has jumbo frets. Am I just not used to the frets and pulling it slightly out of tune or some sort of harmonic that I only hear? Is there any way to make this better such as a different g string to dampen this effect? I currently use 10-46 strings. : Thanks for the help : Jack Dixon

Anonymous

i think you might benefit from the Buzz Feiten tuning system, check it out: http://www.buzzfeiten.com/

Anonymous

D’Addario makes two sets (1 .010-.046, and a second .011-.052 i believe) that have a wound third (G) that is supposed to be quite a bit better than the unwound more typical ones. I’d try it as it will be the cheapest, quickest fix if it works. good luck

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.