Click to visit Sweetwater Click to visit Gearank

Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics AMPS: 2 – 12’s or 4 – 10’s WHICH IS BETTER?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Hey, I wanna ask a question too! I know you guys can help, have heard lots and have some great ideas.

In an amplifier such as Fender Hot Rod Rod Deville, who prefers 2 – 12’s and who likes 4 – 10’s? What do you think the differences are, and why?

How about the 4 – 10’s which are in the Fender Super Reverb or Peavey Blues 50 combo? Any comments on their sound?

What d’ya think of the Deluxes incl. Blues Deluxe? Got any Bassman fans & other loyalties?

Anybody hotrodded any of these tube amps with any interesting stories?

Thanks, Strat Man Dwight

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Personally, I prefer the sound of 4-10’s. I own a Hot Rod Deville 410, but at church I play through a Hot Rod Deluxe (112). Both sound very good. The reason I prefer the 410 is because the bottom and mids are very tight, very solid sounding. The reason being is that since they are a smaller speaker compared to a 12", they push less air, resulting in less low end mush. 12’s do sound good but they tend to have a very loose bottom end and mids that aren’t well-defined, especially if the speakers are under-driven by a lower powered amp. But, even though each speaker has it’s own characteristics, you have to enjoy listening to it. You play through what you like hearing. In a nutshell, 410’s are tighter and more responsive and 212’s are looser with more low end.

Anonymous

: The ear responds to the sound waves that move through the air, pushing the air in front of them. The more air a sound pushes the louder the sound is to the ear. 4-10 inch speakers will push more air than 2-12 inch speakers (with the same watts applied into the same ohms each) because of the combined area mass of the speakers. Simplified, without getting to mathmatical, 4-10’s = a 40 inch area and 2-12’s = a 24 inch area. Preferance would depend on application. Personaly I like the sound of Celestion Green Back, Carvin British Series and Black Widow speakers, again depending on application.

Anonymous

How about we stop trying to impress people with how much technical knowledge we have and just answer the guys question.

Anonymous

: : The ear responds to the sound waves that move through the air, pushing the air in front of them. The more air a sound pushes the louder the sound is to the ear. 4-10 inch speakers will push more air than 2-12 inch speakers (with the same watts applied into the same ohms each) because of the combined area mass of the speakers. Simplified, without getting to mathmatical, 4-10’s = a 40 inch area and 2-12’s = a 24 inch area. Preferance would depend on application. Personaly I like the sound of Celestion Green Back, Carvin British Series and Black Widow speakers, again depending on application. Thanks for the info and your advice on speakers. I like Celestions also, though my cab is closed and I don’t know about the colour. Those Black Widows have always been good to me. I’m anxious to see if others can share their experiences too. Strat Man Dwight

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.