Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics gibson sonex

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

hi

has anyone got a gibson sonex for sale?are they better
    than gordon smith guitars? i wan’t a guitar with ciol plit.should i buy a secondhand gordon smith or gibson?

thanks john

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

: hi : has anyone got a gibson sonex for sale?are they better : than gordon smith guitars? i wan’t a guitar with ciol plit.should i buy a secondhand gordon smith or gibson? : thanks john Hi John, If your interested in a SONEX I do have one. At the right price it can be bought. Give me a price and we will see if you are a buyer, Bill

Anonymous

: hi : has anyone got a gibson sonex for sale?are they better : than gordon smith guitars? i wan’t a guitar with ciol plit.should i buy a secondhand gordon smith or gibson? : thanks john John, I’m going to talk about the coil split, which you did not spell properly, and let the others on the forum answer or have their way with you. If you can find a Gibson, such as a genuine Les Paul with a coil tap switch or phase toggle, BUY IT! They’re rare, they’re old, usually 20 years or more, and every one I’ve played has been excellent. It does incredible things to an already great guitar, and I have enjoyed them, with this feature, immensely. Strat Man Dwight

Anonymous

Was the Sonex the only Gibson with a bolt on neck? that wasnt one of the best models that Gibson made, and the coil tapping is an excellent idea if you need a thinner gibson sound, but ive always gone for the fat P90’s or the high output Humbuckers.

Anonymous

: Was the Sonex the only Gibson with a bolt on neck? that wasnt one of the best models that Gibson made, and the coil tapping is an excellent idea if you need a thinner gibson sound, but ive always gone for the fat P90’s or the high output Humbuckers. Yeah, the Sonex, available as 180 Custom, Deluxe or Artist had a composite body and a bolt on neck. Almost sounds a bit like Danelectro talk. Speaking of which, Gibson’s original factory coil tap switch really wasn’t a coil tap, which as you said splits or thins out the sound to single coil. Gibson, for some unexplained reason, wanted us to think that, while they responded to or competed with the new Martin electrics in the early 80’s, and that is the info they gave to writers, publishers, and filtered down to the players. But, in reality … BIG DIFFERENCE. Hold on to your humbuckers!!!, the switch is not a coil tap, it is not true polarity or phase reversal, it makes a series connection between the two humbuckers, and blows just about anything off the face of the Earth with just that – Earth shattering sound. I had the pure pleasure of playing my buddy’s 1981 Les Paul XR-1 this summer, and it did just that. It gave me a chance to analyze the "mystery". It has been wrongly described in history, but is wired in series like my similar Guild S-100 Polara. By all means, check either of these deadly axes out. Cheers. Strat man Dwight

Anonymous

I hope you get this, your my last best chance of figuring out my MYSTERY . Ihave a 1981 Les Paul XR-1 I recently purchased, Ihave a wiring issue ,and would really appreciate some help.A proper wiring diagram would be invaluable .also, any ideas on my problem would be greatly appreciated (bridge pu works properly ,neck pu sounds very weak,and thin, “coil tap” switch only affects neck pu,ireduces output even further to almost zero. Irealize the post is 10 yrs old, but I am getting desperate ,PIEASE respond. Thanx Wes [email protected] (805)964-3422

Anonymous

The Sonex info has proven invaluable. I have an 1980 Gibson Sonex 180 deluxe.yes it does have a bolt on neck(it is adjustable, and more user friendly than one could imagine.) This guitar, which I always likened to a Les Paul junior is fairly unknown in metal and punk circuits. I had always heard it was the afordable Gibson Learning guitar. I had also heard that it was only released in ’80, ’81, and ’82. Is this true? My Sonex has humbuckers(not single coils). This must be a trait of the deluxe version. I play my sonex through a Marshall 15 watt practice amp, or a 25 watt Crate practice amp. The sound is great, the neck is smooth. The action is a little high. I used to think this was a bad thing, but it has taught me to play with a little more strength and effort. Worth it. Any idea on pricing? I would like to be another one, but not for a thousand bucks.

Anonymous

I would like to add something to this coil split dicussion. To further prove that Gibson arent splitting coils, it would take 3, usually 4 leads to shunt, split or do that. That is to split the humbucker’s series wired internally joined coils into just one single. Gibson hasn’t done that. I only see factory pickups with 2 wires in Gibsons. They tell us that you have a choice of 2 or 4 conductor leads, if you buy them on their own as an accessory. That way you can split the coils, phase them with eachother or change the phase of the pickup within itself, which is so cool. But the way Gibson does XR1 is a super high powered series connection of the 2 pickups, which are otherwise joined in weaker parallel mode in the middle central toggle position. Everybody has to hear this sound it is so good. It might be the Big Bang theory or something. Andrew Listmayer – RockItSciencelabs, home of the World’s loudest Les Paul. All challengers are welcome, I got the sound level meter and the most decibels.

Anonymous

I’ve got a Gibson Sonex, 1981 model, that has a shape of a Les Paul Junior. I’ve searched the web for one that looks like this and i haven’t found it. All of the gibson sonex that i’ve found are les paul shape. Has gibson made a sonex like a les paul junior? Miguel

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.