Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Anyone know anything about Lyle guitars?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I’ve got an old jazz-style Lyle that I know absolutely nothing about. It was given to me by my Grandfather who doesn’t remember where he bought it or for how much… let alone the model number. The body looks a lot like a Gibson ES 335… slim neck, F-Hole guitar, raised pick guard, two single coil pickups, 4 tone control nobs (two marked "T" two marked "V" for tone/volume I’m assuming), Bigsby-like tremolo, fender style top.

It’s got a decent tone, not a lot of sustain. I have to have it set up everytime I change the strings (the bridge isn’t fixed at all… a small sticker underneath says "place bridge here" or something to that effect.

I heard Lyles are becoming more and more rare… it’d be cool to find out this thing was worth something… if not, it still has sentimental value.

Anyone know what this thing is?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Norlin was involved with Gibson Guitars from 1970-1984. Lyle Guitars were built in Japan from 1969 to 1980 by the Matsumoko company and were distributed in the US by L.D. Heater company of Portland, Oregon. Matsumoko did build some of the early 1970’s Epiphone models, but was commisioned and trained by Gibson techs to build the guitars. Of course, thanks to L.D. Heater techs, the guitars were fixed before they got to our music stores. Your guitar is probably one of the ES-335 copies (I do not know the Lyle model number). I have seen that model sell for as much a $350.00 on eBay. However, it is worth more as sentimental value if you gramps gave it to you. Also, some of the Lyles’s like the Dove copy, actually sound better than the original Gibson (IMHO). You basically have a Japanese Gibson. It is not a lawsuit guitar…just in case anyone asks. Besides, they are all metric 😉 : I’ve got an old jazz-style Lyle that I know absolutely nothing about. It was given to me by my Grandfather who doesn’t remember where he bought it or for how much… let alone the model number. The body looks a lot like a Gibson ES 335… slim neck, F-Hole guitar, raised pick guard, two single coil pickups, 4 tone control nobs (two marked "T" two marked "V" for tone/volume I’m assuming), Bigsby-like tremolo, fender style top. : It’s got a decent tone, not a lot of sustain. I have to have it set up everytime I change the strings (the bridge isn’t fixed at all… a small sticker underneath says "place bridge here" or something to that effect. : I heard Lyles are becoming more and more rare… it’d be cool to find out this thing was worth something… if not, it still has sentimental value. : Anyone know what this thing is?

Anonymous

Appreciate the effort you put in to this posting & glad you’re happy with your guitar. Surprising the moderator didn’t find any innocent taboo words in there somehow. I’m sorry, have no info. Try another forum http://www.vintageguitarpro.com. Strat man Dwight

Anonymous

All I know is that I had a Lyle accoustic in the 70’s. At that time it was actually made by Gibson, From what I know of the history is that they up there with the Gretsch and comparable guitars : Appreciate the effort you put in to this posting & glad you’re happy with your guitar. Surprising the moderator didn’t find any innocent taboo words in there somehow. I’m sorry, have no info. Try another forum http://www.vintageguitarpro.com. Strat man Dwight

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.