Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Regal Lap Steel circa 1930-40

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I am interested in getting information on a 6 string Regal lap steel I have. It has a plastico Mother of Pearl body with two bakelite volume controls and a transparent orange bakelite pic guard. It is complete and operational.

I consider it to be in excellant condition. It is nestled in it’s original case.
    The information I seek is this: Where does one find the serial number? Or did they not put one on these particular models?

The only thing that identifies it as a Regal is the logo on the headstock.
    It is an emerald green background with Regal in gold and Made in Chicago in black letters.

I have done some research on the internet but have yet to find any information other than they were a subsidery of a number of more popular manufacturers such as Dobro/National/Lyon Healy. The electric models were made between the 30’s and 40’s.

Any info would be appreciated.
    Respectfully,

Rodger.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

:The Regal lap steel was made by Regal, and or Valco. The Regal lap steels look like a Regal headstock with a point in the middle and have a variety of finishes. The finish you describe is probably made by Valco in the late forties and similar to National and Supro lap steels of the time. The main difference between the two is the pick up, which is much hotter in the Valco model, and cleaner on the Regal model. If you want a blues sound, you probably have it with the Valco/Regal model. A country sound with the original Regal.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.