Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics Heard of Profile guitars?

• This topic has 36 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 10 months ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I have a Profile guitar that i refinished and it is a good rock guitar. When I got it second hand it had DiMarzio pickups and a nice neck. Apart from that there needed to be a lot of work done. I cant find any info anywhere, the only thing i found out was that the guitar was a middle "class" electric. My local guitar store said it was a good guitar with a nice sound. Know anything about the company?

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Found another one in an auction, I think the color is “butter cream”, seems to have a bit of light rust on pickguard screws, saddles & tuners but overall good condition. Hoping to bid & get it for a reasonable price, around $100, can’t afford to spend too much now days, with living expenses on the way up 🙁

Anonymous

Great to see so much appreciation for these guitars! I bought my Black Magic (red bodied) in a 2nd hand shop in maybe the late 90’s(?) for AU$130. It was my first electric guitar. Fitted a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge and to this day, I still absolutely love how it feels and plays. A few years back, a guitar shop made a bit of a mess of it, and I hardly touched it. Now I’m in the process of reviving and updating it with a Babicz tremelo/bridge and Seymour Duncan Hot, Vintage and Cool Rails pickups.

Can’t wait to finish it and try it out 🙂

Anonymous

I have a Profile Black Magic that I bought for $200 off the rack back in the late 80’s. Hands down the best guitar playability-wise that I’ve ever owned. It’s my go-to guitar for live and for recording. What a previous dude said about the chipboard/glue composition being like a “granite bass” is dead-on. I’ve thought about modding out it with some true Strat pickups, but every time I play it I can’t imagine how it could sound any better. Superior low-cost product from a time where quality mattered regardless of price.

Anonymous

Looking in Value Village for dead guitars to rob for parts for my CBG hobby, came across a Profile ‘superstrat’ – nice maple neck with rosewood 21 fret board, reversed ‘beak’ head, two single coils and a humbucker at the bridge. Needed a bit of attention to the scratchy old electrics, and it was missing the tremelo arm.

$13

Yup Thirteen. Sounds and feels nice, having second thoughts now about parting it out 🙂

Anonymous

I wrote to Dynamic Music and received the following reply:

Nov 30, 2021, 5:45 PM

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for your enquiry.

I asked my manager Greg McNamara, who has been with the company for a long time, and he gave me this rundown:

Profile guitars were a project originally started by Martin Golden, the founder of JAMM Industries in Montreal Canada. I’d say that original production would have begun in the very early eighties. (1981?).

The guitars were made in a small factory in Toyoshina, Nagano Pref, Japan by manufacturer Chushin Gakki. The CEO at the time was Yuji Miyazawa, the son of the founder.

Many guitars were produced during the early-mid eighties. In Canada the Silhouette Series and Black Magic models were most commonly distributed by JAMM Erikson and sold across Canada and the USA. Most were Stratocaster copies, Precision Bass copies and Telecaster copiers (All Fender Trademarks BTW)

Dynamic Music in Australia went a little further and had many thousands of Profile Vintage Series manufactured. The idea was to keep as close to Fender L Series specifications as possible. Alder bodies, rock maple necks and a number of L series colours.

When Fender returned to manufacturing the L series headstock design and produced Squier guitars and several other manufacturers began producing similar guitars Dynamic moved on.

Martin (Marty) Golden sold JAMM a couple of years ago.

Peter Patrick his GM for guitars who was instrumental in the project is retired in Montreal.

Yuji Miyazawa has passed on I believe.

I did all of the specs for and had the Vintage series produced with the help of Alex Mesker and Gerard Gilet

Profile is still a registered Trademark (category 15) in Australia, owned by Dynamic Music.

They were fun times.

I hope this helps with your enquiry.

Thanks & regards,

Iain McDowell

Now here is the interesting piece, Chushin Gakki also produced the Jackson Guitar Professional Series (http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/jackson-professional-history.htm)

Anonymous

Hi crazy guitar people, so great to have a hobby, so here in the suburb of Epping in Sydney Australia someone threw out (amongst all their kerbside garbage “junk” we call Council Cleanup) a black with (white binding) a Profile Silhouette tele copy, fantastic maple neck, solid body, Schaller “deluxe” machine heads, what a great guitar…I’ve been a guitar player /performer since the early 1980’s & recognize this guitar as pretty special…cleaned it up, dressed the frets, new strings & some minor electrical pick up maintenance & it plays & sounds fantastic…it really has the classic Tele sound…so now I’m on the hunt for more of these Profile “sleepers”…

Anonymous

I have a Profile PA 60, it’s an exact copy of the Martin D 28 and I know nothing about it… i have it since the late 60’s and I want to know the price of it. It’s in it’s case since awhile and in perfect condition. Do anyone know what it is and can help me?

Anonymous

I just picked up a start copy for $80 CAD that needs a little work. The only markings are the profile logo on the headstock, no serial number anywhere i took it all apart and cant find one

Anonymous

paid $299 cdn for Profile ‘professional’ guitar in Trenton, ON in 1989, owned it ever since. This is a quality guitar, still use it for gigs today. Cracked green finish looks incredible – Good quality Floyd Rose whammy bar, locking nuts which i dont use. Never had to replace anything, all original, neck perfect, really well done. Fretboard has nice action, not too bulky, i really like the shape of the guitar body which has nice lines. I believe it was an Australian company that had them made in Japan. if you can get one, do it.

Anonymous

Hi, i have a profile electric guitar, i got for free but all says in neck is profile. Does anyone know size of the treamlo arm for it. How you send pics?

Anonymous

I have bought 2 profile guitars at Value Village in Pembroke, Ontario. in the last year or so got the second one today for $60
      The first one I got a year ago, for $20 It’s a Black Magic 1980’s someone painted it looks like crap now but I’m redoing it to at least make it look good again has the red inlays on the fret board pickguard has red banding it’s a really good guitar sounds very good plays nice great action. the wood is solid three piece japanese ash. not plywood. The one I found Today is White 2 black humbuckers It’s in mint shape just cleaned it up, put couple of nicer knobs on it. great action very low, plays great. She’s a beauty, I have around 25 guitars. These guitars seem to show up here in Canada often funny made in Japan by Australian Company in 1980’s

Anonymous

I purchased a Profile black magic strat copy new in 1985/86 from L&M in Winnipeg for $229.00 cdn. Great guitar – painted matte black body with matching neck and headstock finish ,black pickguard ,ebony fingerboard with red dot inlays, all black hardware. Came as a sss and I routed and installed a humbucker in the bridge position. I pawned it for $150.00 in 1992 in Vernon B.C and regretted it since. great feel and playability even after much abuse. Some good pickups and electronics and it would have rivaled any American made strat of the day and surpassed many a no name superstrat at the time.
      Around that same 90,s period I also came across a BC rich warlock copy by Profile with the black matte finish. albeit not a very common guitar brand , I sense a small cult following here and would love to find one again as well …

Teemo – Winnipeg ,Canada

Anonymous

Just decided to do a quick search and was surprised to see this msg board! So! In like 1986 my brother got an electric guitar for Xmas and it was a profile. He had it well into the 90’s and it was treated as second rate but I fell in love with it and learned most of the metal I know on it. It was truly an amazing guitar with amazing action and sound. Since it wasn’t considered worth much it was carelessly handled and eventually stolen under my brother’s ignorance. It was red, very light and had a maple neck that was fairly thin I think with only “profile” on the head. It was the classic rock, can Halen type body. I would love to have one again, so if anyone is selling please let me know!! I miss it allot! [email protected]
      Thanks! Josh – Ontario Canada

Anonymous

I bought this guitar at Value Village in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada for $59 CAN back in February. It has a black, Stratocaster-style body with a reverse headstock, whammy bar, SSH pickup arrangement. Three way switch with one volume and one tone. The pots and switch need to be replaced but it sounds great and the body and neck are as good as my USA Stratocaster. This one’s a keeper. I’m pretty sure I have a buyer for my Fender American Deluxe Strat.

Anonymous

Cool man. That’s the exact same one I have. It sounded and played great when I got it. My only complaint was the pickup seemed rather cheap and highly susceptible to feedback even at medium volumes, never mind when you crank it up. Was an easy fix. I ended up putting a pickup from an Ibanez in it and this fixed it right up. Definitely a great guitar all around now. I’ve owned it now for 20 years!

Anonymous

I have a Profile PA-30 acoustic guitar that was given to me and I know nothing about it. I’ve been trying to research it, and nothing. I would like to find out the year and value. All I know now, is that its made in Korea and is a copy of either a Fender or a ’32 Gibson. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Brand: Profile
      Model: PA-30
      Serial: 36

Anonymous

I had an endorsement with Profile guitars in the mid 80s. They were distributed by Dynamic Music Enterprises (DME)
      at the time. They would be able to shed some light on these beautiful guitars that were made in Japan to exact specs of the early Fenders. As for me, I have three top end Fender Strats and a Scott Henderson Custom Suhr Strat – all superb instruments but I find myself grabbing the Profile first everytime. The only change made was the installation of the first issue of EMGs that arrived in the country – still on the Strat and sounding like magic. These guitars were the best kept secret as the promotions dept at DME had short comings. They had budget models and “pro” models which were made from the same materials as the early Fenders. If you find one they are worth considering. The neck of my profile has not moved since the day I bought it and set it up. Can’t say that about too many guitars.
      A Profile fan.

Anonymous

hi,just wondering came across this guitar and it has skinny spaghetti Profile logo on headstock but also small block letters CONTEM PORARY,i knew they made silhuette and vintage but havent come across this contem porary version before,do you know anything or can share on this one?cheers

Anonymous

just to chime in on this..
      I bought a Profile BM Strat new in the 80’s.. can’t remember when, but this has been my main rig since..
      apparently these were made in the day of EXACT copies..it has a rosewood finger board, Alder Neck and body..
      It came with the standard three way switch, and 3 surprisingly good pickups… probably used the same amount of winds as the fender originals..
      I have since upgraded to an Epiphone humbucker at the bridge, the standard middle PU and a Telecaster lipstick for the neck..
      gives me heaps of versatility sound wise….
      seriously the best guitar i have owned…

Anonymous

Hi,I’ve got a Profile vintage guitar,it was cream with a white scratch,was given to me as a Christmas present when I was 10,I’m now 32,parents told me it cost them about $500 back then,in Australia,,I’ve since upgraded it with a dimebucker pickup in the bridge and s-13 in the neck,sprayed it silver with a violet pearl thru it,setup in drop c,and still sounds and plays very well,would never sell it!! I come across 1 now and again on eBay,but not very often,cheers \m/

Anonymous

i am considering purchasing a used 3/4 size Profile acoustic guitar for our 9 year old daughter taking lessons. is it worth buying or should i keep looking? thanks for any suggestions.

Alexander
        Keymaster

Our guide to buying children’s guitar will be of great help to you. We have some guitar recommendations so do check them out and compare before buying the Profile guitar you are looking at. Many parents think that beginners should not be choosy with their instrument – but they don’t realize that if the guitar doesn’t sound or play well, the learner might easily lose interest.

Anonymous

i have a 20 plus year old profile tele black with a white binding dont know what the pup are but this thing is wild and would not part with it have used iton many recordings .i have also 2 other strats one being a custom shop 56 nos –but keep picking up my profile . these guitars may not be worth much but to me it’s priceless. to other profile players i say keep hold of it WHO KNOWS THE FUTURE

Anonymous

I have a Profile – Gibson Knock-off. It was a Canadian low budget guitar and it played accordingly. It’s called “black magic”… The body was a rich red and the neck was black – head stock too.

I believe to be a “Sears” guitar… However, I don’t know that for sure. It came to be mine through a odd story about a broke native guy outside a pawn shop.

My Profile had multiple problems and I quickly replaced it about 1 month after I got it. pick-ups and wiring were bad – missing screws – abuse – stripped machine heads – yadda yadda yadda. It became a prop for a Slash costume and a Devo costume.. but that was the best it could do. It was truley unplayable.

Admittedly – I liked the look of it – even after I smashed it into a keyboard.

Many years later – I stripped it down – repaired, sanded and repainted it.. Replaced the frets and hardware and machine heads – rewired and reground. It’s a work of art now – plays amazing and looks killer… It has a late 1960’s/early 70’s “groovy” look with gold accents… One of a kind. I can almost see Lenny Kravitz fxxking it on stage. word.

Anonymous

I have a Profile brand guitar that is a stat copy. It says Profile Vintage on the headstock and Professional on the neck plate. I think that it is based on an early 60’s strat and has a slab rosewood fingerboard, which I think Fender phased out in 1963. But it has a 5-way selector and sounds sensational with Ernie Ball Beefy 11s. Rarely goes out of tune. I have 2 tutors and they love the sound and action. I have a mate that owns several genuine Strats and he’d rather play the Profile.

Anonymous

I also have a profile guitar. I got mine about 10 yrs ago and now I’m trying to find out if it has any real worth as I’m planning on selling it. I have looked all over the Internet for any information on the guitar and I can’t find anything. Would any one know roughly what I could get for it?

Anonymous

You probably won’t get much for it because not many people know about them, basically they are a very good Fender copy made in Japan and where not on the market for very long, the pick ups are not great but everything else on the Start copies especially is really good, so I suggest that you keep it replace the pick ups and anything that your not happy with and you`ll have a guitar the would be worth $1500 if it said Fender on it

Anonymous

i have one profile guitar, i thought it’s no name, but the sound is absolutely amazing…. it’s older than me, mean >17 years

Anonymous

: I have a Profile guitar that i refinished and it is a good rock guitar. When i got it second hand it had DiMarzio pickups and a nice neck. Apart from that there needed to be a lot of work done. I cant find any info anywhere, the only thing i found out was that the guitar was a middle "class" electric. My local guitar store said it was a good guitar with a nice sound.Know anything about the company? I have a profile as well got it about 7 years ago. My dad got it used from a friend. Its been great I have an Ibanez rg270dx which is my baby but this guitar hangs in there almost as well. I did change the humbucker on it though as it was getting feedback like crazy I think just due to the age I had a humbucker from a shecter omen 6 kicking around so I put that in and it still has that great rock/heavy sound with no feedback. I never use the single coils it has. I have 11 gauge strings on it and have it tuned droped C and its great for playing stuff like POD or Linkin Park. I’ve never heard of profile b4 myself but I don’t care if its a cheap/midrange or high end guitar, point is its tough and sounds great and stays in tune. But if I had to guess I would say it was a lower mid range guitar.

Anonymous

sorry about that. i have a porfile too i got it of a friend in an other band (Groove Robbers) its also a great rock guitar but when people told me that it was cheep it was hard to believe. i have also looked for this guitar on the net and shops no one seems to know anything about the brand. i hope i helped

Anonymous

I got a profile guitare given to me but with the wiring riped out so if anyone could please send me diagrams or instructions

Anonymous

: I have a Profile guitar that i refinished and it is a good rock guitar. When i got it second hand it had DiMarzio pickups and a nice neck. Apart from that there needed to be a lot of work done. I cant find any info anywhere, the only thing i found out was that the guitar was a middle "class" electric. My local guitar store said it was a good guitar with a nice sound.Know anything about the company?

Anonymous

: : I have a Profile guitar that i refinished and it is a good rock guitar. When i got it second hand it had DiMarzio pickups and a nice neck. Apart from that there needed to be a lot of work done. I cant find any info anywhere, the only thing i found out was that the guitar was a middle "class" electric. My local guitar store said it was a good guitar with a nice sound.Know anything about the company? I also have a Profile guitar. Its a little rusty but it gets the job done. I have to say,its a peice compared to my strat and les paul. It was the first guitar ive ever played and ill keep it for the rest of my life, im takin this peice to the grave.

Anonymous

: I have a Profile guitar that i refinished and it is a good rock guitar. When i got it second hand it had DiMarzio pickups and a nice neck. Apart from that there needed to be a lot of work done. I cant find any info anywhere, the only thing i found out was that the guitar was a middle "class" electric. My local guitar store said it was a good guitar with a nice sound.Know anything about the company? I see a reply to this post which does not appear in the main column – we tried other replies but they were not printed at all.

Anonymous

: I have a Profile guitar that i refinished and it is a good rock guitar. When i got it second hand it had DiMarzio pickups and a nice neck. Apart from that there needed to be a lot of work done. I cant find any info anywhere, the only thing i found out was that the guitar was a middle "class" electric. My local guitar store said it was a good guitar with a nice sound.Know anything about the company? I don’t know if the webmaster will post my earlier reply. In simple words, Profile is a Kaman/Ovation product, but was at the lower end, often made with chipboard. I know the name of the real material, probably copyrighted and trademarked. Then the neckplate was heavily cast, and said professional, like many Washburns and Cort, which have similar features. The Profile guitars are excellent sounding – the combination of chipped wood & glue is like having quarrystone for a base.

Anonymous

Are you sure its not a Les Paul?

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.