Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics String buzz on Ibanez

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Hey. I hope this forums is alive.
    I have an Ibanez RG 470 and have a problem with string buzzes.
    At first the buzz was on the lower E string, and it buzzed all the way from playing it open and up to the 24th fret, including. I read on a different site that that can be caused by a too tight trussrod. So I loosened the trussrod and the buzz disappeared from the lower E string – only to re-appear on the A string below it. Now it, too, buzzes all the way from playing it open and up to the 24th fret.
    The only way I can get rid of it is by lowering the bridge _really_ low. There are no buzzes at all then, even in other strings, but the sound is crappy when the bridge is that low.
    It’s really weird, the way the buzz just hopped to the other string, and that the buzz occurs on all frets, and when playing the string open.
    Hope someone can help me.
    Thanks.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Sounds like your guitar would benefit from a pro setup, i cant think of a problem that would cause string buzzing like you discribed, by lowering the bridge and therefor lowering the action you should be causing the strings to buzz more, not less. some things that can cause buzzing strings: Bridge/action too low. strings not seated properly in saddles. frets uneven. truss rod adjustment needed. twisted neck. nut cut too low. string tension too low.

Anonymous

hi i understand the problem so how to make it better well you should never touch the t/rod as this will put the neck right out and this is what you have done. so now it needs to be set up by a prof.guitar seter. onec this is done you need to know how to look after a guitar so read this… ok if the guitar is not in use for days then undo the strings and put in a case or on a stand. also the neck will go out of tune if the room where the guitar is .is to warm or to cold the guitar should be at room tamp and not to hot. if you dont have a guitar stand then stand your guitar agaest the wall with the strings faceing the wall so that no wight is not on the neck.do not put guitar near radeators as this will put the neck out of tune.a guitars action should only be set up my a prof who understands how you want to play and there for will set your guitar up for you. dont let friends touch your guitar as this is not a good move. but your ibanez now needs a setup and once its done dont touch it. thats how you stop the buzz

Anonymous

: Sounds like your guitar would benefit from a pro setup, i cant think of a problem that would cause string buzzing like you discribed, by lowering the bridge and therefor lowering the action you should be causing the strings to buzz more, not less. : some things that can cause buzzing strings: : Bridge/action too low. : strings not seated properly in saddles. : frets uneven. : truss rod adjustment needed. : twisted neck. : nut cut too low. : string tension too low. For some reason my follow-up appeared on top of yours, Lee. Anyway I mentioned that the buzz occurs on all frets including an open string, but I forgot to mention that the buzz is weak on frets 0-9, then gets worse and worse as I go up. Thanks.

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. I think I can rule out some of the things that can cause buzzing you mentioned: * Bridge/action too low – will cause buzzing at some frets since the string hits the frets ahead of it. My string buzzes when it’s open as well. * Frets uneven – again, this causes buzzing when fretting. * Truss rod adjustment – I loosened it all the way. That can’t cause buzzing, if i’m not mistaken, it can cause intonation problems and uncomfortable playability. I have not read about the last three options you mentioned: * Twisted neck – does this mean the neck twists up or down, and not the up or down that can be controlled by the truss rod? How can I check for that? * Nut cut too low – Is the nut where u place the edge of the string and tune it with? Or is it the place the string goes into right before the first fret (Ibanez’s locking system)? * String tension too low – what can cause that? How can i check if my string tension is too low? As for the first option, how do i know if the string isn’t seated properly? It looks seated just like all the rest of the strings. Can the buzzing be caused from inside the saddle? Thanks for any help. : Sounds like your guitar would benefit from a pro setup, i cant think of a problem that would cause string buzzing like you discribed, by lowering the bridge and therefor lowering the action you should be causing the strings to buzz more, not less. : some things that can cause buzzing strings: : Bridge/action too low. : strings not seated properly in saddles. : frets uneven. : truss rod adjustment needed. : twisted neck. : nut cut too low. : string tension too low.

Anonymous

ive been giving this some more thought, could it be something inside your bridge rattling or buzzing?? if you slackend the truss rod right off it could be that buzzing, the nut could have come off the rod?? check for things on the guitar rattling/buzzing, maybe its nothing to do with the setup itself, maybe a loose peice of hardware?? check all the screws are tight, and a twisted neck is unrepairable, well it is repairable but you would find it more economical to replace the neck.

Anonymous

: ive been giving this some more thought, could it be something inside your bridge rattling or buzzing?? if you slackend the truss rod right off it could be that buzzing, the nut could have come off the rod?? check for things on the guitar rattling/buzzing, maybe its nothing to do with the setup itself, maybe a loose peice of hardware?? check all the screws are tight, and a twisted neck is unrepairable, well it is repairable but you would find it more economical to replace the neck. You’re the man, Lee. Been watching this one to see where it leads. We think it is a loose a truss rod too, and ibanezcollectors.com thinks you do a great job here.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.