Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Are backing tracks illegal? copywrite?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Firstly, what is the reule of creating & maybe selling backing tracks on the net, I don’t mean the midi, but genuine studio developed tracks. In other words if you make a track can you use it & sell it. Whilst this may not be a problem for a few tracks, imagine if you had a track for every song you have learn’t, you’d have thousands. So are you in your rights to make your own, could you sell that. Plus does anyone know of a web site that will let you download free backing tracks, ie the type you get on those very over priced guitar mags. Plus would anyone be interested in such a site? Thanks Phil G

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

From what I understand, You can create your own backing tracks. It’s just like taping a CD for your car. As long as it is for your own use, you do not have to worry about paying mechanical copyright royalties. If you plan to sell, then you will need to pay royalties for every tape or CD sold. On the net, Napster has come to an agreement to pay royalties for downloaded music, after being sued by Metalica. (among others) Backing tracks can be bought at music stores, I don’t know if they’re available on the web.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.