Click to visit Sweetwater Click to visit Gearank

Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics Can I paint my fretboard ?

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 23 years ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I was wondering if anyone has painted their fretboard, or got it done.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I’m sorry, dude, this is a pretty silly idea. Think about it.. everytime you play, it gets chipped and falls off! Thats a minor point compared to the damage such an amateur job would do to the ‘board. Only a fool would try such a thing. A FAR BETTER solution to your plain fretboard is inlays: these are actually ‘inlaid’ into grooves cut into the ‘board.. thus, there is no paint or material extending from the smooth neck to inhibit your playing. This type of job should NEVER be performed unless you know exactly what you’re doing – no offence – but your post implies a certain naivety. A trained luthier could do the work easily, but the cost would be a lot, and then you you have to consider the material to be used, the complexity of the design, the polishingefinishing… the list goes on. if you’re guit is worth ~£100, don’t bother unless you’re mad, because chances are you’ll pay more than your guitar is worth, and when you move onto a better instrument, you’ll be sorry. For examples of fret-board inlays on high-end guitars, check out the limited edition PRS Dragon (£4000, i think) and lower down, the Ibanez Jem7W (£1800). Its expensive business.

~d

http://www.insaneguitar.net, best free shred lessons anywhere on the net..

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.