Click to visit Sweetwater Click to visit Gearank

Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics T. Haruo acoustic guitars

• This topic has 54 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

i have a beautiful acoustic guitar that i bought about 15 years ago in california.
    it is made by a japanese guitar co. called T. Haruo but i have been unable to find any info on the maker.
    its a wonderful d-45 style acoustic with great inlay work.
    any info anyone has on it would be great.
    thanks

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Hey this is a great little walk down memory lane. I bought my first/only guitar when i was 16 at Long and Mcquade music store in Toronto back in 1976, a Haruo model 50(4). it was the closest thing to a Martin I could afford. I didn’t know a single chord but I was going to be a rock star!

Well the rock star thing didn’t pan out but I pick up that guitar every day and never tire of channeling Neil Young on my T-50.

It is banged up and dirty… but that only makes it worth more to me…. Give me a loved guitar over a ‘collector’ any day.

So i guess the value is “priceless”.

Anonymous

Found almost everything I wanted to know about my T. Haruo guitar in an article from kritmon.weebly.com, including who you are, Dee Tatum; noticed in one of the comments you were starting a newsletter based on these guitars? How do I get that, if you ever started one? I got my guitar in 1980, after walking down a row of guitars and strumming a few seconds on each. As soon as I strummed a chord on the Terada I was sold right then (as was the guitar, to me). As far as I was concerned the beauty of its design was not the first priority with me but is still a lovely second; a guitar that produces such a perfect sound – and looks as beautiful as it sounds, it was the first time I was that excited about getting a new guitar (was my fourth; started with an unknown brand, got stuck with an Aspen with horrible action, traded that in for a Yamaha that got stolen, and then a year later went looking for something special and i sure found it!) I never imagined a guitar even looked like these, with the sound and playability still soooo sweet after 42 years. I’ve no one to pass it down to who wants to play it and sometimes think about selling it but can’t believe they’re not worth more than some appraisals I’ve read in these comments. They were only made for eight years; or is someone else making them now? I don’t know a thing about appraising a guitar but for some reason I thought that their not being made since 1982 would be taken into account? Like I just said, I don’t know a thing about appraising guitars; if I did I might not’ve asked the question!
      At any rate I’m still curious about that Paper you mentioned wanting to start…

Anonymous

I have what I believe to be a T. Haruo acoustic, branded under the Aria name.
      It has three serial numbers inside, and all the marks of T. Haruo.

My suspicion is that it was created as a prototype for Arias soon to be new line of Martin competitor dreadnoughts.

The Aria sticker below the sound hole calls the guitar an A-80, but after doing some research I can only find reference to the ‘AD’ line of Aria, no simple ‘A’ line.

Anonymous

Your suspician is confirmed. Aria did have the Terada factory (which Terada Haruo was CEO and master luthier of) manufacture some of it’s top of the line Martin clones during 1977-1979. I too have such an Aria branded 1977 T-Haruo 12 string identified on the Aria label as a model AD-65, which is the equivilent of a T-Haruo model T-60. Everything is identical to the Haruos of the same time save for the label, the headstock logo and the missing T Haruo inlay in the fretboard. Absolutely marvelous instruments.

Anonymous

Aria subcontracted to a lot of different manufacturers. Post some pics on the HARUO Fanpage on Facebook and I’ll take a look. HARUO/Terada factory in Nagoya is pretty easy to spot.

Anonymous

I have T-harou guitar for sale model T6 serial#640274 very good condition

Anonymous

I now have a t-150 and I am looking to buy a t-100. Anyone out there with one for sale? Send me an email if you have one for sale.

Anonymous

I do have a t-Haruo guitar in perfect condition thinking of selling it for best offer any idea how much it cost.

Anonymous

I got this guitar in Reno, NV in 1983 from a music store. It is beautiful, 3 piece back, straight neck, such a mellow sound. I am curious about its value. It has been kept in a hard case, in a smoke-free home. No nicks or scratches. Can anyone give me a estimated value?
      Glenna

Anonymous

Kritman’s history behind T Haruo was interesting. I’ve been searching for along time to find out the history behind these beautiful and outstanding instruments. I have a T80 12 string, and matching T100 6 string in pristine shape, which will eventually become my sons.
      I also feel this is the best acoustic sounding guitar I’ve every owned or experienced.
      At the time, I worked for Maytan Music Company in Reno, and purchased the 6 string right out of the trunk of the sales rep.’s car as he came to show it to the owner.
      The guitars have been enjoyed (but never played with a belt buckle), hence the pristine condition. Am curious about their current value and who I would contact to find out… any ideas?

Anonymous

The Serial Number on the T-40 that I just purchased is stamped on the label inside the sound hole it is : 576604.
      I have tried to look up serial numbers to determined what year the guitar was made, but with no luck.
      Does anyone have any knowledge of how to look up serial numbers to determined the year of these guitars?
      I would appreciate any and all help.

Thanks, Jack

Anonymous

I just thought that I would make this a direct link for information on the T.Haruo models. I hope this works.

http://kritmon.weebly.com/model-archives.html

Anonymous

I just bought a T.Haruo 40 which has the 3 piece laminated Makassar back not the 3 piece rosewood back . The wood on mine is definitely not rosewood. Here is a link which tells about every model from the T-10 to the T-150, six strings and twelve string, what they are made of, the price they sold for when new and the history of them: http://kritmon.weebly.com/model-archives.html
      I hope this helps everyone.
      I walked into a pawn shop today and tried the T-40 out. It had old strings but was in tune, looked and sounded great, I new then that I had to have it, so I bought it for $350.00 ( a great price I think ).
      Among my guitars I have a 1964 Gibson J-45 that I have had since 1971 and it has been my favorite. Now I don’t know, I may have a new favorite. I will be looking for more T.Haruo guitars.

Take Care and Enjoy Those T.Haruo Guitars, Jack

Jason
      Participant

This page has some pictures and an interview with the nephew of the two men who made T. Haruo guitars:
      http://www.smctek.com/THaruoGuitarPage.html

Anonymous

good day:
      I just bought a guitar model T.haruo 50-12 strings in very good condition, I do not know much about the brand, to try the sound I found incredible, I would like to know what the market value of this instrument …… .Many thanks for answering …

Anonymous

I have a T-50, T-80, T-80-12, T-100, and a T-150. I am feeling out what the current market will provide in the sale of the T-50, and the T-100. My guitars are all in collectors condition, with no repairs, or need for repairs. I was gifted my first T. Haruo in 1976, and have been collecting them ever since. If there is anyone who is interested, please contact me at the listed email.

[email protected]

Thank You,
      C Dub

Anonymous

I have a Haruo T-10-12 12 string and can’t find any info. Do you know this model ?

Anonymous

I have a T-50, T-80, T-80-12, T-100, and a T-150. I am feeling out what the current market will provide in the sale of the T-50, and the T-100. My guitars are all in collectors condition, with no repairs, or need for repairs. I was gifted my first T. Haruo in 1976, and have been collecting them ever since. If there is anyone who is interested, please contact me at the listed email.

Thank You,
      C Dub

Anonymous

Would be very interested in possible purchase .Please send photos if still available

Anonymous

I can help give you an idea what a guitar is worth. But without seeing a guitar directly, and playing it…I will not be able to provide an exact value, as I will always give you a very conservative range. If you are looking to sell yours, I’m still looking to buy all models available, especially t-50 all the way up to t-150’s.

Email me at [email protected]

Anonymous

I have a Haruo T-40, 3 piece rosewood back in absolutely mint, like new condition. Can anyone give me an idea of its worth or make an offer?
      Jim

Anonymous

T20 T.Haruo how much is it worth?

Anonymous

Anyone know anything about T Haruo model T- 10, serial # 576571?

Anonymous

I purchased a 1976 T-80 new in 1977. It sounded beautiful to me. I was taking lessons at the time and my fingers were perpetually sore, so I bought a Yamaha nylon stringed guitar and put the T-80 away. I had stopped playing, sold the Yamaha and didn’t open the case on the T-80 again for almost 15 years. I had moved to from near the ocean to the desert, and the top split near the bridge. I had left the strings tight when it was put away and I think the dry air got it. It sat in it’s case for another decade, till my son was in a band and I gave it to him. He took it into Ed Roman guitars in Vegas to get it repaired. The tech that took it in said rather dismissively ” oh a Martin copy” wrote up the ticket and took it in the back. In about 2 weeks my son got a call from the tech, asking him to come down to the shop to discuss the guitar. When my son got there, the tech brought out the guitar without any repairs. He said ” do not do anything to this guitar…it sounds better than any guitar in here” and there were some very expensive Martins on the wall. They agreed on some minor work to perform on it, and he brought it home. All who heard it were amazed at it’s sound. A very good friend of his now has it, and it is his partner in music. He has written songs with it that would never have been written otherwise. It is alive and performing for people after being in the dark for far too long! Last week my son bought a T-60 here in Vegas off craigslist. I think he will hang on to this one.

Anonymous

Hello Everyone.

I am looking to buy a number of T. Haruo guitars to add to my collection. I am interested in players and collectors guitars (although I sometimes will purchase a parts guitar).

The difference between a players and collectors guitar is condition. A players guitar has issues, scratches, etc. A collectors guitar is immaculate and virtually perfect in every way. I might be interested in some “parts” guitars…guitars that have cracks, deep scratches (that are beyond buffing), and major playability issues. These guitars can sometimes be repaired, but usually not worth the money and effort to do so.

I am interested in all T. Haruo Models. I am a player of these guitars myself, and I do record with them. They will stay in my collection, will be shared with other collectors/players, and they might be traded for another T. Haruo guitar (it is a rare day that I sell any of my guitars). Although I do collect these guitars, I do not pay ridiculous prices for these. I will pay a fair, market based price.

I do all of my transactions through paypal, to protect both of us, and the money is usually available pretty darn fast for you to be able to pay for the shipping costs at your local UPS store or Post Office.

Please contact me at [email protected]…send me a couple pictures of the guitar you are wanting to sell, a detailed description of its condition (if you don’t know, send more pictures), and your contact information.

Anonymous

I purchased a new T-50 12 sting on October 22, 1977 at Weathers Music Co. in Salem, Oregon and have had it every since. I still have the invoice and sales tag that was on the guitar when I bought it. It is still like new. I played it a a lot in the 70’s and early 80’s but set it down for some 20 years and lost interest until just recently. The guitar still has that full rhythmically sound it had when I first picked it up. I tried out several different guitars such as Martin, Gibson and Yamaha before I picked this one up and strummed it for the first time. I was magic, no other 12 string sounded as full as this one. I’m thinking about selling it and moving to an electric, but I’m having trouble finding anybody that know much about T Haruo guitars. Could anybody give my any information about thus guitar’s price.

Anonymous

I have been dying to get my hands on one of these T. Haruo guitars. Please email me at [email protected] if you would like to sell yours. I am interested in all models. Please be realisitc in price, I am not rich. I will play it, love it, and pass it along to my children who are also budding musicians. Thank you.

Anonymous

i have aquired this guitar from my cousin…many many years ago…still in good shape..i would appreciate any info on this!!

Anonymous

Did you find any info, mate or is this the worse site I can find?

Anonymous

I am trying to gather data on the owners of T. Haruo Guitars to include on the quarterly mailing of a new T. Haruo newsletter. If you would like to receive this email newsletter, please contact me at [email protected].

Anonymous

I have a T. Haruo Model No. 80-12 handcrafted.
        I enjoy playing this guitar when I have some free time; it is so smooth, easy action.
        I would like to sale it to a person that have the time to use this wonderful instrument.
        [email protected]

Anonymous

I have a model 50 Haruo 12 string with a pickup installed. It is a beautiful instrument with wonderful sound and resonance. It plays easy. It has beautiful inlay work and is in excellent condition. I have moved on to an electric 12 string and if anyone is interested in buying a wonderful instrument please contact me. I would like $600.00 for it. Thanks Mavis

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses. I sold the guitar. Mavis

Anonymous

Here is the rumor I have heard. Granted, this may be apocryphal, but it’s the only thing I have heard that sounds remotely plausible. I have found T. Haruo ads from guitar magazines in the 70’s and I heard about these guitars when I was a kid. The ad indicates that there were a number of guitar stores – a lot of them on the West Coast (McCabe’s was on there as I remember) listed as carrying them and they were marketed as a quality guitar at a reasonable price. I now have a Model 80 12-string and a model 100 6-string. I have seen a model 50 (at least I think I am remembering that right – it was not all that great sounding a guitar, poorer quality than either the 80 or the 100 which are quite good). There was also a model 150 which is pretty much a dead knock-off of a Martin D-45. Those are about the only facts I know for sure. What I have heard is that the fellow who made the T. Haruo guitars was a master luthier at Yamaha and left because he wanted to make higher end guitars. He did so with the T. Haruo line, but went bankrupt in the process. If anyone knows more or can either debunk or confirm any of the above, let me know. [email protected] : i have a beautiful acoustic guitar that i bought about 15 years ago in california. : it is made by a japanese guitar co. called T. Haruo but i have been unable to find any info on the maker. : its a wonderful d-45 style acoustic with great inlay work. : any info anyone has on it would be great. : thanks

Anonymous

I’ve got a T40. Did you manage to find out anything you might like to share?

Anonymous

I have a T. Haruo acoustic which I purchased in a small guitar shop in Tucson, AZ about 1983, but I can’t recall the name of the store. I do, however, still have the warranty card that came with the guitar; the listed USA distributer was Pennino Music Co. in Westminster, CA. I tried looking it up on the web, but there is no listing for the company. I wish i could find out more info about the brand, also. I enjoy the quality of my guitar, which is a very close copy of the Martin D-45.

Anonymous

: I have a T. Haruo acoustic which I purchased in a small guitar shop in Tucson, AZ about 1983, but I can’t recall the name of the store. I do, however, still have the warranty card that came with the guitar; the listed USA distributer was Pennino Music Co. in Westminster, CA. I tried looking it up on the web, but there is no listing for the company. I wish i could find out more info about the brand, also. I enjoy the quality of my guitar, which is a very close copy of the Martin D-45. I purchased my T.Haruo guitar in 1976 at a Sam Ash store in Huntington NY. I have been looking for information on the web since I got on-line in ’97. This is the first time I found anything. All I have is the store receipt and a beautiful guitar that appraises at $1500.00 or so. Perfectly matched Spruce top with a 3-piece Rosewood back and Mahogany neck with gold machine head. Gorgeous, crisp tones. Loves a new set of strings

Anonymous

I have a T. Haruo acoustic which I purchased in a small guitar shop in Tucson, AZ about 1983, but I can’t recall the name of the store. I do, however, still have the warranty card that came with the guitar; the listed USA distributer was Pennino Music Co. in Westminster, CA. I tried looking it up on the web, but there is no listing for the company. I wish i could find out more info about the brand, also. I enjoy the quality of my guitar, which is a very close copy of the Martin D-45. \: Here is the rumor I have heard. Granted, this may be apocryphal, but it’s the only thing I have heard that sounds remotely plausible. I have found T. Haruo ads from guitar magazines in the 70’s and I heard about these guitars when I was a kid. The ad indicates that there were a number of guitar stores – a lot of them on the West Coast (McCabe’s was on there as I remember) listed as carrying them and they were marketed as a quality guitar at a reasonable price. I now have a Model 80 12-string and a model 100 6-string. I have seen a model 50 (at least I think I am remembering that right – it was not all that great sounding a guitar, poorer quality than either the 80 or the 100 which are quite good). There was also a model 150 which is pretty much a dead knock-off of a Martin D-45. Those are about the only facts I know for sure. What I have heard is that the fellow who made the T. Haruo guitars was a master luthier at Yamaha and left because he wanted to make higher end guitars. He did so with the T. Haruo line, but went bankrupt in the process. If anyone knows more or can either debunk or confirm any of the above, let me know. [email protected] : : i have a beautiful acoustic guitar that i bought about 15 years ago in california. : : it is made by a japanese guitar co. called T. Haruo but i have been unable to find any info on the maker. : : its a wonderful d-45 style acoustic with great inlay work. : : any info anyone has on it would be great. : : thanks

Anonymous

I bought my Haruo guitar, model # 150 in Boulder, Colorado about 16-17 years ago. Beautiful guitar. I just started looking for info on it and found these old postings. Anything new on the maker?

Anonymous

Hi Michael. If you are still wanting more information on T. Haruo guitars, please contact me. Do you still have the T150??

Thanks.
        \
        Dee Tatum

Anonymous

: i have a beautiful acoustic guitar that i bought about 15 years ago in california. : it is made by a japanese guitar co. called T. Haruo but i have been unable to find any info on the maker. : its a wonderful d-45 style acoustic with great inlay work. : any info anyone has on it would be great. : thanks Ihave one as well. What do you think they are worth?

Anonymous

well, about the T.HARUO guitar, it really is a beauty.. i have one… and not to brag but it is GREAT!! great inlays, wood, neck, bindings, colors.. and TONE>>>> it is a truly great guitar, and i want to know around how much they cost, and where i could find more into on them… it is a model T-30.. a beauty…plese sent me info on it!!!!

Anonymous

: One of my associates found a T.Haruo in a abanded vehicle that he bought. This is a copy of a Martin D45. It is a incredible guitar. Is Haruo still alive and making guitars?

Anonymous

i also have a t haruo acoustic and i love it, but i also would like any additional info available, i personally know nothing about the instrument.

Anonymous

I have a T.Haruo 6 string handcrafted in Japan in 1976, it is a model 50, it is the most beautiful sounding guitar i’ve ever heard. Also plays so well it’s my favorite guitar. I would take this guitar over a fender or gibson or martian anyday. T.Haruo gets no recognition at all but is a better playing guitar and better sounding then any american made i’ve played. If anyone knows anything about these guitars or there history please let me know……Thanks George in Indiana……

Anonymous

: : : : I also have a T. Haruo guitar that I bought in the early ’80’s.A beautiful guitar with extrodinary sound and tonal quality that frets easily and is very smooth to play. I,m sorry that I can,t give you any infomation on it other than I bought it in San Bernardino Ca.
      have a beautiful acoustic guitar that i bought about 15 years ago in california.
      : : : : it is made by a japanese guitar co. called T. Haruo but i have been unable to find any info on the maker.
      : : : : its a wonderful d-45 style acoustic with great inlay work.
      : : : : any info anyone has on it would be great.
      : : : : thanks

Anonymous

: : : i have a beautiful acoustic guitar that i bought about 15 years ago in california.
      : : : it is made by a japanese guitar co. called T. Haruo but i have been unable to find any info on the maker.
      : : : its a wonderful d-45 style acoustic with great inlay work.
      : : : any info anyone has on it would be great.
      : : : thanks

Anonymous

: : i have a beautiful acoustic guitar that i bought about 15 years ago in california.
      : : it is made by a japanese guitar co. called T. Haruo but i have been unable to find any info on the maker.
      : : its a wonderful d-45 style acoustic with great inlay work.
      : : any info anyone has on it would be great.
      : : thanks

Anonymous

: i have a beautiful acoustic guitar that i bought about 15 years ago in california.
      : it is made by a japanese guitar co. called T. Haruo but i have been unable to find any info on the maker.
      : its a wonderful d-45 style acoustic with great inlay work.
      : any info anyone has on it would be great.
      : thanks

Anonymous

: i have a beautiful acoustic guitar that i bought about 15 years ago in california.
      : it is made by a japanese guitar co. called T. Haruo but i have been unable to find any info on the maker.
      : its a wonderful d-45 style acoustic with great inlay work.
      : any info anyone has on it would be great.
      : thanks

I also bought a Haruo guitar in Falkirk, Central Scotland in the late seventies. It is model no. 50 and dated 1976.
      Having been involved in folk music on a semi pro level the guitar has served me well and has been admired by many.
      I have also tried to find out more about its background and credentials, probably to reinforce my own view of its obvious qualities.

Anonymous

If you would be interested in obtaining more information on T. Haruo guitars, please feel free to contact me @ [email protected]. Thanks.

Anonymous

Good afternoon I have a guitar Haruo model 50 in excellent condition. Could you give me an approximate value? thanks

Anonymous

Daniel,

The Model 50 is approximately 30 years old. It is difficult the state the value, but in a good condition, it is probably in the area of $300, maybe $350.

Thanks.

T. Haruo

Anonymous

Tatum Haruo … are you the maker?

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.