Mesa/Boogie unveils the CabClone, a stand-alone passive load box, cabinet simulator and direct recording interface.
New Mesa/Boogie Pedals for 2014
It comes in a compact form factor that can easily be placed on top of your amp, or on the floor. It also features an output for connecting headphones, allowing you to quietly play with your big amps.
CabClone is a flexible tool for recording, live performance and even for practice. Because of its internal resistive type load that can be defeated, it can be used for capturing the direct signal of your amplifier with or without an actual speaker connected.
It is designed to work with amps that don't go above 100 Watts, featuring 4, 8 and 16 Ohm impedance for easier amp matching. This internal load will transform your 100Watt and below amplifiers into true "silent" performers, operating without the need for real speaker cabinets while providing Mesa/Boogie quality cab emulations.
CabClone is also a Compensated Headphone Driver, giving you the sound of your amp in headphone-friendly versions. This will allow you to get big tones without having to disturb your family or your neighbors.
The front panel houses a D.I. output level knob. This knob allows the CabClone to accommodates a wide range of destination input requirements ranging from mic (-30dB) to instrument level (-10dB) to Pro Line LeveL (+4DB) and anywhere in between. This adjustable pot lets you fine tune the signal strength for virtually any kind of live or recording environment.
The Phase Flip switch lets you change the phase when blending with other sources. The Ground/Lift switch is designed to remove annoying ground loops by lifting the ground pin of the XLRs from the circuit and chassis ground.
The Voicing switch lets you control the type of cabinet simulation, which are divided into three different types:
The upper Closed Back position reproduces the response of a vintage-era British 4x12 cabinet loaded with 30-watt speakers. It is described as having a scooped midrange with more upper harmonics. This cabinet voicing is described as ideal for heavily saturated rhythm and/or lead work where you want a midrange scoop and a huge sonic spread.
The center Open Back position modifies the closed back emulation by letting more of the upper harmonics to pass through. This results in a more open, three-dimensional sound with accentuated top end. According to Mesa/Boogie, this position works well for clean work and overdriven rhythm applications where a brighter, “faster” response is in order.
Finally, the lower Vintage Cabinet position is the darkest and most compressed cab voicing. The company says that the response is ideal for single note soloing, especially high gain tones are used. This setting is said to help keep your solos fat, round and free of “buzzy” gain artifacts.
Check out the official video demo:
- Designed and Handcrafted in Petaluma, California, USA
- Passive Design – No Power Supply Required
- Built-In Internal Amp Load FOR AMPS RATED 100 WATTS OR LESS (auto-activates when no cable is connected to “Thru” Output)
- 1/4" “Input” Jack (receives signal from amp's speaker output)
- 1/4" “Thru” Output Jack (defeats to Internal Load when no cable is connected)
- 3-Position Cabinet Voicing Switch - Open-Back, Closed-Back & Vintage Closed-Back Cabinet Simulations
- Variable -30 to +4db DI Output Level Control with presets for Dynamic Mic Level (-30db), Instrument Level (-10db) & Line Level (+4db)
- Balanced XLR Direct Output (controlled by the Variable DI Output Level Control)
- Independent 1/4" +4 Line Level “Slave” Output Jack (exact signal from amp's speaker output, non-simulated)
- Compensated Headphone Output Jack (defeats balanced outputs when used)
- Phase Switch – Normal (In) or Reverse (180°)
- Ground Lift Switch
- Removable Tilt-Back Stand (for use over an amp handle)
- Formats: 4 Ohm, 8 Ohm and 16 Ohm
The pricing information for the new Mesa/Boogie CabClone will soon be available. You can visit Mesa/Boogie.
Share This Article
Line 6 finally unveils the new Spider V series, the latest iteration of their popular entry level amplifier line, with upgraded amp and effects modeling and other extra features.