Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - March, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: strings- the thicker the better?!!!

Hi,
I am a metal player and I string up with 12s or 13s. It is much easier to play fast with 9s or 10s but tone is sacrificed. The only thing I am unable to do well with the heavy strings is two hand tapping. I'm not a big fan of that style anyways.

Some of the 80's speed demon metal players used 008s!!!! Crazy!! Some guys like Josh Homme from Kyuss use very heavy strings, but I think 10s are the most popular.

Jj

problem with ax1000g

how can i make a solid and fat distortion?
if anybody knows, please send me the patches.

Re: problem with ax1000g

: how can i make a solid and fat distortion?
: if anybody knows, please send me the patches.

try visit http://membres.tripod.fr/korgax1000gfx/english/index-us.htm

Re: problem with ax1000g

hey i'm french i need some help
i've got an ax1000g but i do not know how to edit and how to use sample play program
is there anybody able to send me a notice

Who can help me?Information on ESP Ltd F-200.PLESE,HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anybody gimme some description of this guitar?I'm looking for a person that used this guitar,in italy i cannot test it!!!I would to buy it, but I need someone that know it!!!!!!!!!!

how much is my guitar worth .

I have a 1969 fender mustang starburt finish, orginal hardshell case.Guitar is in good condtion.

Re: how much is my guitar worth .

: I have a 1969 fender mustang starburt finish, orginal hardshell case.Guitar is in good condtion.

Have a look over at ebay.com, and do a search for guitars like the one
you have. That should give you a pretty good feel for the market rate.

Bob

ATLANTA BASSIST NEEDED

Atlanta bassist needed in the Atlanta area. Serious musicians need only apply. Contact adamjfitch@yahoo.com to set up an audition. (INCUBUS/PERFECT CIRCLE STYLE)

TAYLOR GUITARS

Hi Guys,
Could you tell me how good is the taylor guitar line.
I am interested in the 514ce.
I would appreciate anyone that could tell me more
about these guitars.
Thank You in Advance,
Troy

Re: TAYLOR GUITARS

I should start by saying I love Martins, but I am impressed by the tone and balance of the Taylors I have played. I do think they are over priced somewhat.
Try some other brands in the same price range before deciding. If you do buy a Taylor, you won't get a bad guitar.

Troy, I own two Taylors now and am looking into a third one. So far I have played, probably 30 different Taylors for an hour or two each and have found them all to be consistently good. Very fast neck, correct intonation all the way up the neck and a very good tone. Each one was a pleasure to use and hear. I don't think you could go wrong with any Taylor. Good luck. Oh yeah, I currently own a 714 and a 750. Whimsmith

: Hi Guys,
: Could you tell me how good is the taylor guitar line.
: I am interested in the 514ce.
: I would appreciate anyone that could tell me more
: about these guitars.
: Thank You in Advance,
: Troy
I got my first Taylor(grand Auditorium 314ce).......after playing everything on the market and the only close competition was a Larivee.......the new neck configuration on the Taylors is superior to any other design on the market......check out their website and ask them to send you the video on the manufacturing of their guitars and youll be sold

guitars in south korea?

I am vising Seoul South Korea on a two week business trip, and I was wondering if anyone has been there. I hear many, many guitars are available at incredible prices.

Please tell me about your trip to South Korea!

Regards,

ktm

Re: guitars in south korea?

: my gosh. probable 1/3 of the guitars in the world are made there! they sell cheap here. imagine how little you would pay for one there. The higher priced DeArmond's by Guild sells for $500.00 here and is a great guitar but is Korean and not US. bet you could get one for $100.00 there.

FADE TO BLACK SOLO's

hey
how would i get the sound of the solos in metallica's fade to black? im usin a gibson les paul and a crate 212 and a boss metalzone.
thanx

Metallica's guitar sound

how can I achieve a sound like metallica's guitar using a ZOOM 505? is there any page with information to configurate different sounds?
thanx

Boss ME-5 Effects unit

Does anyone know how to recall the factory presets on this unit ?? I don't have the manual ..but I'm sure there is a combination of buttons to push that would recall the original settings ?

Re: Boss ME-5 Effects unit

: Does anyone know how to recall the factory presets on this unit ?? I don't have the manual ..but I'm sure there is a combination of buttons to push that would recall the original settings ?
Turn the me5 off, then turn it on while pressing the number pedals 1 and 2 down. After this "FP" is shown in the display for about 2 seconds. To restore the factory settings press the "Write Button
while the display is showing "FP"

Do you own a Strat? Do you live in Maine. Will you sell?

Let me know?

what is line 6 pod?

what is line 6 pod? someone told me to get that along with a practice amp.

Re: what is line 6 pod?

: what is line 6 pod? someone told me to get that along with a practice amp.

It is a multi-effects and amp modeling unit, which is intended
primarily for recording purposes, although it can be used in front of
an amp with reasonable results. Its a great "all-in-one" item for
someone on a budget who wants a LOT of flexibility.

Bob

what is line 6 pod?

what is line 6 pod? someone told me to get that along with a practice amp.

DGStomp

I'm thinkin bout getting a Yamaha DGStomp to hook up with my Peavey Heritage VTX. Anybody out there using the DG's that would like to comment?

mesa boogie DC-3 amp

HELP-My first tube amp and it sounds great, but I don't know how to find the sounds I am looking for. Can anyone tell me what settings to use on all of these knobs and 5-band EQ so I can get some GRUNGE,METALica,slightly dirty blues, and some good clean jazz. Don't know how to "dial-in" all of these buttons and EQ to get these sounds. Clean and dirty channel? Don't know how to use this new amp I bought,PLEASE help!
Thanks and keep on ROCK'N!

Re: mesa boogie DC-3 amp

Congrats on getting a Boogie, they're awesome amps. There are a million sounds available out of a Boogie, the easiest way to figure it out is to get a copy of the user's manual from the company. Try their website. It's http://www.mesaboogie.com/

: HELP-My first tube amp and it sounds great, but I don't know how to find the sounds I am looking for. Can anyone tell me what settings to use on all of these knobs and 5-band EQ so I can get some GRUNGE,METALica,slightly dirty blues, and some good clean jazz. Don't know how to "dial-in" all of these buttons and EQ to get these sounds. Clean and dirty channel? Don't know how to use this new amp I bought,PLEASE help!
: Thanks and keep on ROCK'N!

help! which one?

what do you think? Ibanez GRX20 or Ibanez GAX70? or something else? for a beginner, first guitar. to play metal, nu-metal, some alternative. price range-up to about 300$.

Re: help! which one?

Hey,

I play metal and tend to stay away from the Ibanez stuff. The cheaper models are made out of plywood, have terrible pickups, and don't sound all that great. Take a look at some of the cheaper Jacksons. The JS 20 is about $200 and is made out of solid Basswood or Alder, maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. Much better sounding and durable. You can even find used Jackson Performers or Charvels in your price range that are solid wood, have a Floyd Rose type trem if you dig that, and much better pickups. Even the cheapy BC riches that go for $150 are made out of agathis. Agathis is not the best sounding but are better than plywood. Don't mean to be redundant but stay away from plywood!

Jj

Check out this Fender Blender Clone

It looks so cool!!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1413874882

BIG MUFF Sovtek Vs Electro Harmonix

Is there any difference in tone and distortion levels between the Green Russian re-issue and the new U.S made re-issue? I own the Sovtek Big muff and it needs repairing, I am thinking of just buying a new one!

Re: BIG MUFF Sovtek Vs Electro Harmonix

I wasn't aware there was a U.S. made re-issue. I have the Russian re-issue and it is the most amazing distortion pedal ever. I don't think there would be any difference betweewn the two if they are both Big Muff pedals, but I am only familiar with the Russian pedal.

Re: BIG MUFF Sovtek Vs Electro Harmonix

My big muff says "electro-harmonix/sovtek" on it and came in a wooden box with "distortion" written on it in russian. My guess it that they all have the same guts.
-Rick

Analog echo

Which is the best analogue echo on the market?
Is tape better than the memory man etc?

Re: Analog echo

Tape echos are probably the best sounding.But they can be inconsistant,bulky and need repair after a while($$$).I use a Boss DM-2 or Memory Man for live gigs.The
DM-2 has balls but you can control the Memory Man with
your feet.Used a Roland Space echo(not mine)for a while
But it got knocked around and the tape motor got screwed up.

PEAVEY DEUCE VT AMP PROBLEMS

I have this amp which needs 4 6L6 valves, every time I switch it on the valves crackle and pop and one of them starts to get very hot and gets hotter and hotter to breaking point the other 3 just glow slightly blue can you tell me what is wrong with it and how to fix it if possible( changing valves hasnt helped and no sound comes from the amp at all)

Re: PEAVEY DEUCE VT AMP PROBLEMS

: I have this amp which needs 4 6L6 valves, every time I switch it on the valves crackle and pop and one of them starts to get very hot and gets hotter and hotter to breaking point the other 3 just glow slightly blue can you tell me what is wrong with it and how to fix it if possible( changing valves hasnt helped and no sound comes from the amp at all)

Tenés que cambiar la resistencia de grilla de la válvula que calienta (47K 1/2 Watt)

Explorer

I have a Gibson explorer and i have no idea how much its worth and what year it is. On the top where the strings are it says its an e/2. On the back it says that its made in Usa, has the serial number 8032212 and has the words second near on the top of the head of the guitar. I dont know if i want to sell it but i just want to know how much its worth

Re: Explorer

Your explorer is a 1974 or 75' according to Gibson. Go to www.gibson.com click on "support" you will find some web sites that can value your explorer.

Hi,

There is something strange with your axe. The E2 indicates that the model is an explorer 2. They were only made from 1979-1984. Are you sure that there isn't another number at the end that may be difficult to see? If so, it would indicate a 1982, made on Feburary 1, which makes sense. I don't know of 7 digit numbers on that era Gibsons. They were 6 digits til 75 then 8 digits from then on.
Is it natural finish? This would also indicate an Explorer 2.

Hope this helps.

Jj

The "Second" stamped on the headstock also indicates that there was a cosmetic flaw in the instrument when it left the Gibson factory. Don't freak out and think it's worthless because of it, but it will lower the value. Also, don't freak out that there's a flaw, because as I said before, it was only cosmetic. Structurally flawed guitars only left under special circumstances, usually sold to Gibson employees who would repair the guitar on their own. Structurally flawed guitars also have the initials BGN stamped in the headstock, it stands for "Bargain".

Probably more info than you ever wanted to hear about a Gibson.

Like JJ said, look a little closer at the serial number and see if you've added or subtracted a number...it seems odd to have seven digits on it....if you go to http://www.gibson.com/downloads/bluebook/GibsonSERIALNUMBERS.pdf you can get pretty much all the info available on Gibson serial #s. You need Adobe Acrobat to read it is all.

If it sounds good and plays nice why bother selling it? Hold on to it for your kids or something.

: I have a Gibson explorer and i have no idea how much its worth and what year it is. On the top where the strings are it says its an e/2. On the back it says that its made in Usa, has the serial number 8032212 and has the words second near on the top of the head of the guitar. I dont know if i want to sell it but i just want to know how much its worth

you stink!

i dohguj;itbhrjtkbnpt

Does anyone know what kind of guitar kevin eubank plays or trey anastasio?

any info would be much appreciated!

Re: Does anyone know what kind of guitar kevin eubank plays or trey anastasio?

: Trey plays a Paul Langedoc(spelling?).
It is a custom guitar. I think he has three or four of them.

i have played treys guitar, i worked my tech job on a gig with him, it was awesome, but phish sukz, not as bad as grateful dead, thouth, listen 2 some ac/dc, hippy

: any info would be much appreciated!

Kevin Eubanks plays different Les Pauls

cushioned floyd rose bar?

i saw a picture of someone playing a guitar with a floyd rose and the bar had a cushion or padding of some sort on it. can you buy these and slide them on? it sorta looked like one of those cushions you buy for pencils, only bigger.

Hamer decal for headstock

If anybody knows where I can find a hamer logo decal, please inform me...

sell me your randall rg80 with 1 12inch speaker

looking for that amp with 90 watts rms. will trade or buy.

looking for that amp with 80 watts rms. will trade or buy.

Re: sell me your randall rg80 with 1 12inch speaker

: looking for that amp with 80 watts rms. will trade or buy.

I have an origanal RG80 that I do not want to sell but I must. Please contact me.

Dave

looking for that amp with 80 watts rms. will trade or buy.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2021 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.