Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - March, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

mandola chords, books

mandola chords, books

This popular thread has been given its own page : mandola chords, books

looking for nice mp3(hindi/english)

I'm looking for some nice (romantic numbers) mp3 both hindi/english. Will some one help????
sarika.

changing speakers

I have a marshall slash signiture.i want change the speakers(celestion/marshall model ???)with another model.Is possible to combine different speakers?
Who can help me?
Thank

Re: changing speakers

Hi,
I think it's aok to mix and match speakers, just as long as you match impedances of the speakes, as well as the total impedance of the speakers to the amps desired load impedance. In short, make sure your new speakers have the same value (in ohms) as what you're replacing. I'm not sure about wattages though. I don't think wattage matters as much.
-------------------------------------------
: I have a marshall slash signiture.i want change the speakers(celestion/marshall model ???)with another model.Is possible to combine different speakers?
: Who can help me?
: Thank

Re: changing speakers

Wes is right. Also, wrt wattage, if you have two 8 ohm speakers, one at 50W and the other at 100W, then all you will get is two at 50 watts.

: I have a marshall slash signiture.i want change the speakers(celestion/marshall model ???)with another model.Is possible to combine different speakers?
: Who can help me?
: Thank

Putting P90's on an SG

I want to change my SG from humbuckers to P90's. Where
can I find the P90's and the pickguard to fit them? Is there any problem with
rewiring?

Re: Putting P90's on an SG

Check with www.stewmac.com for genuine Gibson P-90s, or you could look on www.musiciansfriend.com for the same. At Stewart MacDonald (www.stewmac.com) you might be able to find a pickguard as well, but there's no guarantee. You can get the material to make a pickguard there though. Better yet, buy a pair of Gibson P-100s. They're P-90s that are physically configured to be the same size as regular humbuckers. Meaning that they sound like P-90s, but you can drop them in the regular humbucker's slot. Re-wiring is fairly simple if you know how to use a soldering gun. Just make sure you do one wire at a time and/or make very good notes of what goes where when you unhook the humbuckers. You don't need to change any of the other controls, the pots and switch will work just fine with the single coil pickups.

: I want to change my SG from humbuckers to P90's. Where
: can I find the P90's and the pickguard to fit them? Is there any problem with
: rewiring?

guitar picking

I would like to learn guitar picking. What sites

would be most beneficial?

Thanks

Ray

Re: guitar picking

If you mean fingerstyle (Travis/Atkins style picking) check out www.misterguitar.com to start. Also, look into buying some of the Mel Bay books by/about the following artists:

Chet Atkins, Merle Travis, Marcel Dadi, Lenny Breau, Jerry Reed, Thom Bresh, Tommy Flint, John Knowles, Tommy Emmanuel.

They're all finger pickers of great talent and reknown.

:
: I would like to learn guitar picking. What sites

: would be most beneficial?

: Thanks

: Ray

String Height

Does anybody know the standard height between the strings and brige on you average Fender/solidbody type guitar? Thanks.

Please Read This

Hi,

I'm an idiot. I didn't mean "brige" (whatever the hell that is...) I meant to say fretboard.
Thanks and sorry.

Re: String Height

Hi Joe,

I fixed your question.... Gibson Company specifications from when they were in Kalamazoo are:

1st string height at the 12th fret - 3/64"
6th string height at the 12th fret - 5/64"

Except on a Les Paul Custom it was 3/64" and 4/64" that's why they called it the fretless wonder.

The string heights are with the neck adjusted to be straight (no hollow or "relief"), and of course the strings were supposed to gradually go from 3/64 to 5/64 from the little one to the big one.

Flattop guitars (acoustics) are 5/64 to 7/64.

Archtop electrics are the same as regular electrics (this includes ES style guitars like the 335, or BB King Lucille, and the big jazz boxes like L-5, Super 400 and Johnny Smith).

I don't precisely know Fender's specs, but I usually set mine up at about 4/64" and 6/64", because I play with light strings (.009-.046) and bend a lot.

Hope this helps

: Does anybody know the standard height between the strings and neck on your average Fender/solidbody type guitar? Thanks.

Guild or Gibson???

Hi. I am in the market for a new guitar. So far, I am impressed with the Guild D55 and the Gibson J-160E. What are your opinions on these guitars? Thanks!

Re: Guild or Gibson???

: Hi. I am in the market for a new guitar. So far, I am impressed with the Guild D55 and the Gibson J-160E. What are your opinions on these guitars? Thanks!

: Get a Taylor.

Re: Guild or Gibson???

: Guild! Guild! Guild! if you guild it they will come.
if you gibsom you might not getsome back.

Mac reverb 4 C A 52 guitar amplifier

somebody help me!!
looking for the circuit board of my amplifier or just
find the good output transformer wich is dead .
thankss

Hagstrom Wireing

I need a wireing diagram for a (Hagstrom 1) any help would be appreciated

March 1991 issue of Guitar for the Practicing Musician

Looking to purchase it if you have it....

Re: March 1991 issue of Guitar for the Practicing Musician

I jsut might have that - let me check - will get back to you or email me at Rai@simple168.com - Who is on the cover?

Marshall amp for sale!!!!!

I have a marshall mg series amp for sale. It's the mg30rcd. It has a 10" custon voiced speaker. It has reverb. Has 2 channels one clean and one overdrive. If you want more info please contact me at booboo445@ail.com i bought it new for $200.00 i'll sell for $130.00. I've had it for no longer then a year. And it will crank no need to go past half way to get loud!!!

Re: Marshall amp for sale!!!!!

: I have a marshall mg series amp for sale. It's the mg30rcd. It has a 10" custon voiced speaker. It has reverb. Has 2 channels one clean and one overdrive. If you want more info please contact me at booboo445@ail.com i bought it new for $200.00 i'll sell for $130.00. I've had it for no longer then a year. And it will crank no need to go past half way to get loud!!!

Sorry about that my email is booboo445@aol.com ok thanks

Guitar speaker cabs

Hi all... I am trying to find some sort or book or instructions on how I can go about saving some money by building my own 2x12 and/or 4x12 guitar speaker cabinets. Does anyone know where I can find some instructions? Thanks, Wes.

Re: Guitar speaker cabs

youre not wes i am

RECOMMENDED FUZZ/DISTORTION PEDALS

What is the best one to use for the high gain 70's sound. I am looking for good tone AND lots of fuzz!
Also prices if possible

Re: RECOMMENDED FUZZ/DISTORTION PEDALS

I use a Sans Amp Tech 21 pedal(130$) for a Marshall or fender or mesa copied sounds, it sounds good, or the POD simulator(300$) has a lot to offer too. For that old sound the standard would be a Big Muff or Little Muff pedal, Jimi used the Big Muff. There were others but this one is Fuzzy!

: For that old sound the standard would be a Big Muff or Little Muff pedal, Jimi used the Big Muff. There were others but this one is Fuzzy!

Jimi used a Fuzz Face ( the pedal that put the "stomp" in stomp box; the only way the damn switch would work was to jump up and down on it);
most of the Electro Harmonix stuff came out after Hendrix passed away. The reason that people think of Hendrix and E-H is that in the early-mid
70's they ran all sorts of ads that used Hendrix's name. They never actually said that Hendrix used any of it, they just tried to connect the two.
Stuff like " Jimi used a box called Octavia to get his octave sound; now you can get the same sound with......" Nowadays Janie Hendrix's lawyers
would rip a strip offa MIke Matthews in a heartbeat. But back in the 70's endorsement was just another big word :^)........

Doug

: What is the best one to use for the high gain 70's sound. I am looking for good tone AND lots of fuzz!
: Also prices if possible?
-You should try out an Ibanez tube screamer, it's got a great 70's sound, best on the market in my opinion.

Most FUZZ pedals will change your tone.Fuzz is the meanest high gain there is,more than overdrive, distortion.For fuzz try the Danelectro Fab Tone,the saturation is ridiculous! The BIG MUFF is cool,but I get more clarity from the Ibanez Smash-Box or SM-9.I use an odverdrive and a distortion pedal.By the way, Jimi didn't use a Big Muff,it was a Maestro Fuzz something.In Jimi's own words!!
Good Luck

CHECK THIS OUT

OK... so you wanna sound like the 70's. There are 2 ways that you can accomplish this: 1 - Get the actual pedals and stompboxes that these guys used back in the day; like a Maestro Fuzztone(???$), Big Muff Pi(100$), Fender Blender(this is extremely rare, i just found one after 3 years of searching, it has more fuzz than any amp can handle 200$) Ibanez Fuzz boxes are decent as well. or 2 - Get an awsome ANALOG multi-effects pedal, i have an old one like this but it is scratched to shits and i cannot tell what model it is, but it is great.

So there ya have it...

jam-trem vs. floyd rose

Anyone had luck with the Steinberger jam-trem? I've got it on a new Kramer guitar (from MusicYo), had it for a couple of days, and it still falls out of tune with use. Should I give the strings some time to stretch, or should I return this bridge and order the model with the locking floyd rose?

Thanx

Re: jam-trem vs. floyd rose

ditch your little jam-trem crap. use floyd rose. there sooo much better.

WEM COPICAT FOR SALE

Mid to late 60's WEM Watkins Copicat for Sale. Told by Charlie Watkins it is probably a'65-'68, perfect working order,few scratches on case(nothing major) great sound, extra tapes.
Offers around £125 or will consider swap for anything interesting(especially echo related)

Re: WEM COPICAT FOR SALE

What is this? Where can I see a picture of it? Is that $125 US?

: Mid to late 60's WEM Watkins Copicat for Sale. Told by Charlie Watkins it is probably a'65-'68, perfect working order,few scratches on case(nothing major) great sound, extra tapes.
: Offers around £125 or will consider swap for anything interesting(especially echo related)

It is one of the first issues of the transistor copicat tape echo and sounds great( but I have another) I cannot post pictures yet but there is one almost identical somewhere on E-Bay that just went for £155 or $200+
The price is £125 pounds (UK)+ p&p The price was suggested to me by Charlie Watkins(The guy who made it)two weeks ago.I live near Manchester, England. I would be happy to answer any other questions about the machine you may have.

: What is this? Where can I see a picture of it? Is that $125 US?
since when has £125 been $125, god these yanks

: : Mid to late 60's WEM Watkins Copicat for Sale. Told by Charlie Watkins it is probably a'65-'68, perfect working order,few scratches on case(nothing major) great sound, extra tapes.
: : Offers around £125 or will consider swap for anything interesting(especially echo related)

Where is he now?

Where is he now?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Where is he now?

Backing Tracks

Does anyone know where i can download decent backing tracks 4 all styles of music?

needed tabs

i've been lookin for a long time for a "Ghost Riders in the Sky" tab that is right but i have yet to find one if u could help me with this i would greatly appreciate it. i also have been lookin for a good version of "Freebird".

what my guitar worth

i picked up an ibanez les paul with an amp for $100 australian. at a gararge sale i know it is worth alot more than the but how much. it is in good condition.

Re: what my guitar worth

Although Ibanez have been making cheap copies for years, it was during 1976-1979 that they started producing specific 'Gibson' copies: these included the Flying V, the SG, the SG Double-neck, the Melody Maker (!), the Moderne, and of course.. the Les Paul. They were produced cheaply and exported all over the world to fight with the low-end market.. and they did good, as later success proves. I think you're guitar almost definately comes from this period, but I'd like the Serial No. if that's possible, so I can verify the date and production batch (just curious).

In terms of 'worth', its the same old case of 'one man's junk.. another's treasure'. Most may not be interested, but collector may kill for it. DONT SELL IT TO A MUSIC SHOP! They may con you.

I'm pretty curious myself about this long-lost period, If you give me the serial No., I'll do some research.

~d
daz@insaneguitar.net

Goto www.insaneguitar.net for the best free shred lessons..

can you paint an acoustic?

I want to paint a scene (mural) on one of my acoustics. Can't find on info, on rather or not this is a good idea or some precautions to take. I have
seen many acoustic painted, though I don't recall ever hearing one played. Please direct me to some info. My step-dad is a professional artist, who used to build movie sets and such --he knows materials, but I just want to find out and info possible, as he as never painted an acoustic guitar before.

Re: can you paint an acoustic?

Travis, I have a similar question. I recently purchased a Cort Jim Trigg Chamber. (a hollow electric. I would like to paint a mural inside the comet shaped sound hole, on the bare wood. So can I use colored pencils or acrylics?: I think your step dad can use an acrylic or even an oil that will stick to the lacquer finish on your guitar. I'd keep the paint thin so that it will lay down and not affect the sound

: I want to paint a scene (mural) on one of my acoustics. Can't find on info, on rather or not this is a good idea or some precautions to take. I have
: seen many acoustic painted, though I don't recall ever hearing one played. Please direct me to some info. My step-dad is a professional artist, who used to build movie sets and such --he knows materials, but I just want to find out and info possible, as he as never painted an acoustic guitar before.

Kim, I think your best bet would be to use an airbush. Whatever paint you use you must make sure it is not as hot as what is already on your guitar. You'll probably want to take a drop and try it somewhere where it will not be noticed to make certain there is no bad reaction between the two paints. Createx makes some very good waterbases acrylic paints. I have found a good deal of information from a company called Airbear that supplies all sorts of paints for all sorts of applications. Try to find the paint with the smallest pigment particles possible so the layers of colour will be as thin as possible. Good luck, Nick

Check out harleyguitars.com

you have to be sure you sand paper the shinny stuff befor you paint it if you dont then paint will beed and it sucks

is your guitar sanded or are you going to paint on a finished guitar? That makes a big difference on what type of paint you use. nick is right, use an air brush. Any thick layers of paint will probably alter the sound. Try putting your hand where your going to paint & strum.

Gibson U2 wireing diagram

If anyone can tell me how to obtain a wireing diagram for a Gibson U2 please email me. Thanks

informations

i am a student at the university .i studies

journalism .i am the one of your fan .

i want take the informations in the gala that you will organize with clapton

Why am I buzzed and shocked?

Any physicists out there? I've been experimenting with a cheap sound hole pickup in my Larivee 12-string. It comes close to giving me the fat jazz sound I've longed for. BUT it seems to induce a static charge on me and the guitar. A 60 hz buzz builds up until I ground myself somewhere. I've become conditioned to wince every time I touch metal. My current solution is to attach a wire from my wristwatch to one of the tuning machines, and then on to a grounding post on my ancient Tascam M30 mixer. This works, but is going to look ridiculous on stage. I have a similar problem with my Washburn acoustic/electric. No static discharge, but a pure 60hz hum unless I'm toucing the strings and a ground at the same time. This makes playing difficult. HELP.

Re: Why am I buzzed and shocked?

Ho ho! I'm surprised you're still alive.

Ok, best thing? take your guitar and get it repaired by a pro. Humming and other electrical\grounding problebs comes from the internal connections not being set properly.. take it to a shop and dont die!

~d

www.insaneguitar.net

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2021 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.