Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - January, 2002

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

guitar.

what's a 1978 HD-28 martin guitar worth in good shape. Also a 1936 j-45 gibson worth today.

Personalized Guitar Straps are a great VALENTINE'S DAY GIFT

PERSONALIZED GUITAR STRAPS would make a great VALENTINE'S DAY GIFT FOR THAT SPECIAL GUITAR PLAYER.
Many guitar players received them for Christmas gifts and were very happy with the gift. I think this is a great idea for Valentine's Day. Look at www.guitargifts4u.com

Floyd rose problem

Hi!
Recently I've changed my guitar strings, but after I did that, my floyd rose stood in a unusual position.
It is "floating", but to make myself clear, i'll say that the angle between floyd rose and guitar neck it's not 0 degrees, how it's normal, but it makes an angle, let's say, by 40 degrees.
Ok, how do I modify my set up?
BTW, is there a site that can explain me how electric guitar is made? And how to "set up" a guitar?
Thank you!

This will take you a long time!

I had the same problem with my RG7 soon after i'd bought it, unfortunately floyd rose bridges aren't comfortable with big changes. When you are changing strings make sure it's only one at a time, particularly when your using a different gauge as well. This will ALWAYS leave the bridge in a slightly different position to when you started, which is usually solved by a massive pair of screws in the back of your guitar. If you take the back panel off you'll see what i mean.

Now comes the hard bit (which could take you several hours i'm afraid! you might consider taking it to a professional...). You need to first detune the guitar downwards across all strings (ie loosen them all by roughly the same amount) which will (worryingly) raise the bridge further. Don't do it too much coz the bridge shouldn't really go above a certain angle. then you can tighten the screws in the back of the guitar bit by bit - they make a much bigger difference than you expect so only do between a half turn and a full turn altogether. This will have tightened the strings up again, so you'll have to loosen them all off again. Keep doing this until the bridge is back to 0 degrees - it'll take much much longer than you expect, so if you have no patience don't even think about it, get a professional on the job!

Re: Floyd rose problem

: Hi!
: Recently I've changed my guitar strings, but after I did that, my floyd rose stood in a unusual position.
: It is "floating", but to make myself clear, i'll say that the angle between floyd rose and guitar neck it's not 0 degrees, how it's normal, but it makes an angle, let's say, by 40 degrees.
: Ok, how do I modify my set up?
: BTW, is there a site that can explain me how electric guitar is made? And how to "set up" a guitar?
: Thank you!

Ok after you put your strings on use a stack of cards under the floyd to level it. loosen your locking nut then tune. tuning a floyd rose will take 6 to 7 times. Then use your fine tuners after you lock down the locking nut. This should help

Re: Floyd rose problem

: Recently I've changed my guitar strings, but after I did that, my floyd rose stood in a unusual position.
: It is "floating", but to make myself clear, i'll say that the angle between floyd rose and guitar neck it's not 0 degrees, how it's normal, but it makes an angle, let's say, by 40 degrees.
: Ok, how do I modify my set up?
: BTW, is there a site that can explain me how electric guitar is made? And how to "set up" a guitar?
: Thank you!

Tech Tips

3/9/2001
A Quick Help Guide to Setting up your Floyd Rose Tremolo
So, you finally decided to change those old nasty strings. But the reason the strings are nasty is because you're not sure how to work on the tremolo. First things first, relax. Setting up your tremolo is simple if you learn the principles involved. To level the tremolo to the body, adjust the spring tension. To adjust the string height (action), adjust the tremolo studs. And adjust the intonation by moving the saddle backward or forward.
You'll need the following tools: 3 millimeter Allen wrench, 2 millimeter Allen wrench, phillips head screwdriver, wire cutters, a toothbrush and two wedges (I use a #2 pencil wrapped in electrical tape and a 9 volt wrapped in electrical tape). (photo) Some models use other size wrenches so be sure to use the proper sized wrench to eliminate stripping the heads out.
Unlock the locknut and remove the clamps and screws. Use the tremolo arm to raise the tremolo and place the wedge (battery) in between the tremolo and the tremolo recess cavity to hold the tremolo while you're working. (Note: There are some products today that are made specifically for this task.) Remove the tremolo arm, as it will not be needed for a while. The tremolo should be at an angle, but not dramatically (about 15 to 25 degrees) and the strings should be a bit looser. (photo) Detune the strings enough so they don't "ring out". Now loosen the string lock screws in the rear of the tremolo and remove the strings. (photo) Next, "fingertighten" the string lock screws so the string lock blocks don't disappear while you are working.
Now is the time to do some maintenance so get out an old toothbrush to clean out the funk. Get that stuff's that been growing on your guitar while you've been playing. Use a stiff toothbrush to clean the tremolo. (photo) If you have household type oil, use it to lubricate the tremolo screws. The stuff that's growing on the fretboard needs to be cleaned as well. (photo) For that I use my Dremel with the scrub-brush tool set on 2500rpm. If you don't have a Dremel, use a strong toothbrush with a bit of fretboard cleaner, but don't scrape it off as you can scratch the fretboard and the fret. After the fretboard has been cleaned you should condition it to keep it from drying out which would let it shrink and crack. (photo) Your local dealer should have fretboard oil available. If there is no oil available, you can use baby oil, but only in a pinch. Wipe the oil on and let it set for a minute then wipe it dry.
You're ready to put it back together so get out the new strings and cut the ball end off just above the wrapping. (photo) The extra winding will affect the intonation. After you've cut the ball ends off, loosen the string lock screws and lock the string into the saddle. Be careful not to over tighten the screw as this will strip the screw and possibly break the saddle.(photo) Insert the strings into the machine heads (tuners) and bring them up to partial pitch. Replace the wedge (battery) with the wedge (pencil). (photo) Place the wedge (pencil) between the tremolo and the tremolo cavity being sure to keep the tremolo angled with the body of the guitar. (photo) Tune the strings to pitch. The strings will continue to stretch for a bit so you will have to repeatedly check the pitch.
If the tremolo has started to pull up from the body, (photo) detune the strings about a step or two and replace the wedge. (photo) Turn the guitar over and remove the tremolo cavity cover. The two screws adjust the spring tension and that adjusts the string tension. (photo) Simple. Tighten the screws evenly depending on the degree the tremolo has pulled up. (If you're using .008 or .009 gauge strings, use 2 to 3 springs. If you're using heavier strings, use more springs. (Experiment until you get the right feel for how you play) Turn the guitar over and retune with the wedge in place, if the strings are in tune and the wedge is still snug, simply turn the guitar over and loosen the two screws a bit. Check the wedge, it should slip out easily. The tremolo should still remain flush with the body and the strings should be in relative tune. If not, repeat the process. Adjust the fine tuners so that you have equal distance of travel and replace the locknut clamps and screws. The locknut clamps have arches on them; these arches should run parallel with the strings.
Stretch the strings out using your thumb and forefinger in a pinching motion over the twelfth fret area. Repeat this three to four times but no too hard as you can break the strings and stretch them too far and affect the intonation. (photo) Unlock the locknut and retune the strings to pitch. Now you're ready to adjust the string height (action). (photo) Using the proper wrench, adjust the tremolo studs depending on the action you want. (photo) Keep in mind that the lower you go, the more tone and sustain you lose and the more fret buzz you get. So experiment until you find the right feel.
Here's a trick I use for the dropped D tuning. Before I lock the locknut, I tune the fine tuner all the way to the baseplate and retune the string to E. Then I just detune the fine tuner and it's a workingman's D tuner. (photo)
Questions or comments, contact us at service@jacksonguitars.com.
Thanks and LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL. Jackson Guitars, The Evolution of The Soul.

site that can explain me how electric guitar is made

Hi!
Is there a site that can explain me how electric guitar is made? And how to "set up" a guitar?
Thank you!

Info on Sam Koontz

Info on Sam Koontz

This popular thread has been given its own page : Info on Sam Koontz

please i from peruvian

thamessage take in spanish the guitar bussnes

RP2000 Problem. Anybody else?

RP2000 Problem. Anybody else?

This popular thread has been given its own page : RP2000 Problem. Anybody else?

Roderich Paesold Guitar

I was given a Roderich Paesold 12 string acoustic guitar and would like some information about it. it was made in Holland. thanks

Re: Roderich Paesold Guitar

I got one too, looking for some info...

: I was given a Roderich Paesold 12 string acoustic guitar and would like some information about it. it was made in Holland. thanks

Asbury Electric Guitar

Has anyone every heard of an Asbury electric guitar and if so who the manufacturer is? Thanks

Re: Asbury Electric Guitar

: Has anyone every heard of an Asbury electric guitar and if so who the manufacturer is? Thanks
: .
I have not heard of an electric one but I have an Asbury acoustic guitar. I bouht it about 12 years ago or so. I don't know who the manufacturer is, as it's name does not appear on the instrument. It really is just an inexpensive guitar that is made in Korea. Still plays and sounds pretty good though.

I have an Asbury electric

I have an Asbury electric guitar. Have had it for over 19 years. It was my first electric and it still gets played from time to time as my "beater". Great guitar for the money - it cost less than 150 us in '92 or so and its still humming with some minor maintenance. Definitely doesn't hold a candle to my Fenders but when I'm playing in a garage or a basement or outside or basically anywhere I don't want to bring my good stuff, this guitar gets the job done. Not sure if I answered any of your questions, but I enjoyed talking about my "first love". Haha

Clueless Beginner. Please Help!

Hey all.
I started learning guitar from books and an old acoustic.I decided I want to invest in an electric guitar.
Based on advice from various people, I figure I want to start out with a strat. Now, being as clueless as I am, I can't figure out the difference between a US strat and a Mex. Are they really that different? Also, are there any reliable copies that are of decent quality? A Yamaha, for example.
Thanks for reading!

Re: Clueless Beginner. Please Help!

If you've found out that you like playing the guitar, and you are sure that you wanna do it for a long time, and in addition got the money, buy a Usa made Strat. I promise you will never regret spending a lot of money in a guitar. It's really just an investment, and you can sell the Usa made guitar for more than the copies, so you won't loos anything really. But most important you will get a much better guitar to play, and a better sound too. The Mexicans are OK, if you're not that rich. Never buy a asian copy. They're all crap (mostly).

: Hey all.
: I started learning guitar from books and an old acoustic.I decided I want to invest in an electric guitar.
: Based on advice from various people, I figure I want to start out with a strat. Now, being as clueless as I am, I can't figure out the difference between a US strat and a Mex. Are they really that different? Also, are there any reliable copies that are of decent quality? A Yamaha, for example.
: Thanks for reading!

Chords for "You belong to " and "Hallelujah"

Chords for "You belong to " and "Hallelujah"

This popular thread has been given its own page : Chords for "You belong to " and "Hallelujah"

Gower Guitars

Gower Guitars

This popular thread has been given its own page : Gower Guitars

Lookin 4 blue accoust/elec lefty NO ONE WILL HELP!!!

hey there. I've been trying to find a blue accoustic/electric guitar. yamaha makes one SORT OF... the guitar itself is $599 which is doable but then an EXTRA $600 to paint it blue...!!! If anyone has any ideas on how to find this for less then $1000 i'd be sooooo happy. Help if youcan. Thanks

Lookin 4 blue accoust/elec lefty NO ONE WILL HELP!!!

hey there. I've been trying to find a blue accoustic/electric guitar. yamaha makes one SORT OF... the guitar itself is $599 which is doable but then an EXTRA $600 to paint it blue...!!! If anyone has any ideas on how to find this for less then $1000 i'd be sooooo happy. Help if youcan. Thanks

Re: Lookin 4 blue accoust/elec lefty NO ONE WILL HELP!!!

hey i think you can get Tanglewood Pioneers in blue- check them out on Harmony Central database- someone had a review of one there.
The guitar costs about £375-£400 new, used about £250. in my opinion its really a great guitar. i reviewed mine on Harmony database. however if you want a lefty it will be much harder to find. ive never seen a blue acoustic but have seen many blue electro acoustics. why do you want it blue anyways?

Re: Lookin 4 blue accoust/elec lefty NO ONE WILL HELP!!!

sorry my name is really georgi not geotgi or anything like that. my typign is ba d.

New Gibson pickups!!

They're called Burst Buckers and they absolutely KICK ASS!!! The PERFECT PAF tone that is by far better then any pickup Gibson has put out since 1959. Gibson has a new press release on their website about them. I tried them on a new Historic Authentic '59 and they were amazing! Creamy warm and lots of nice bite when I cranked them up. If you love humbuckers, try these & throw away your Duncan Antiquities!

Re: New Gibson pickups!!

: They're called Burst Buckers and they absolutely KICK ASS!!! The PERFECT PAF tone that is by far better then any pickup Gibson has put out since 1959. Gibson has a new press release on their website about them. I tried them on a new Historic Authentic '59 and they were amazing! Creamy warm and lots of nice bite when I cranked them up. If you love humbuckers, try these & throw away your Duncan Antiquities!

I just bought a pairof #2's for my 68 Gibson Barney Kessel and they are fantastic!

Bas runs

I am a beginner "guitar player" and would like to learn bass runs.

Any help or suggestions

Thanks

pod2 e boss gt3

mi scuso non so l'inglese.Io collego il pod2 ad un twin amp Fender alla presa posteriore "power amp in",passando dalle prese del boss gt3 ext.effects in-out.Vorrei sapere come devo settare le regolazioni del pod per avere il meglio.Ringrazio anche se non potete rispondermi. Dario

stagg guitars???

OK i have only just recently seen quite a nice looking stagg guitar and have condsidered buying it though i would like to know abit about them first. If any of you have some ideas of what their like could u email me. The guitar ive seen was a les paul type.It was only a cheap guitar.£139.99 buy at the moment i need another guitar.Many thanks

Chris :o)

Re: stagg guitars???

K I have been playing guitar now for about 7 years since i was 10. Im playin a Paul Reed Smith now but just last year my brother got the exact same guitar you are referring to for about the same price. It is a real sweet lookin guitar, and plays pretty well too. I have played a Gibson Les Paul and obviously the quality does not compare. But it is definatley a good guitar. I also played a few Les Paul replica's and of the two or three Ive tried this is one of the best. Its well worth the money if you are a begginer or even just a novice. Definatly giv it the thumbs up !!!

L8r !!!

Hey, you're so full of CRAP! Ooooh, *I'VE* been playing for seven years since I was ten. Ooooh, I now have a PROPER PRS. Oooooh, big wow. Ooooooh, the quality isn't good, noy like MY guitar... Stick your PRS up your ass. Sideways.

I recebtly bought a stagg strat copy. It is an excellent quality guitar and sounds great! well worth the money

I recebtly bought a stagg strat copy. It is an excellent quality guitar and sounds great! well worth the money

: Iv'e got a stagg amp i have had for around a year i think it's one of the best things ive bought Worth it's wait in gold!

I have a stagg guitar its a fender strat look-a-like.It was only £120 its a really nice sounding guitar and its a cool blue colour if u wanna know more email me.

never buy a stagg guitar i had nothing but troubble when i bought a aqustic for £150 and on that guitar the glue underneath the bridge (yes it should of been pinned to the back of the guitar) came off almost completly and the one i had in replacement had a crack from the 20th fret to the 15th nd the frets had been put over it so no1 really cared if it had a crack on it or not. ide never have a stagg guitar even if i was given one.

hello, i am 13 and in 17 days it is my 14th birthday, and i am lookin at a kool black stagg les paul 4 about 140 quid, i played one b4 and theyre the best thing, look, playing, and the lot that i have seen on my long neverending voyage to find the peeeeeeeeerfect guitar....innit

they are shit SHIT SSSSSHHHHHHIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT guitars.

Wanker Dan. You are indeed a wnaker. Little wee shite that you are. Innit.

they are shit SHIT SSSSSHHHHHHIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT guitars.

: OK i have only just recently seen quite a nice looking stagg guitar and have condsidered buying it though i would like to know abit about them first. If any of you have some ideas of what their like could u email me. The guitar ive seen was a les paul type.It was only a cheap guitar.£139.99 buy at the moment i need another guitar.Many thanks

:
: Chris :o)

Bought a Stagg strat for less than £100 - it's fine and plays well so long as you accept that you aren't getting exotic woods/fancy pickups/high quality switchgear etc. Made on a computer-controlled machine, I guess, everything lines up and can be fully adjusted. For £25 more they now have upgraded the range with very nice necks and better tuners. I cannot argue with the value for money - everything can be upgraded - only the switch was a priority.

TAKAMINE CD132SC

Hi.
Please tell me any information about these guitars, as I'm going to buy it (TAKAMINE CD132SC). Are they good?

And also if you have any information about DIAMANT guitars.

My e-mail is datoart@hotmail.com

Thanks.

14V AC 500 mA external power supply

i need urgently this product .can anybody help me?
i hope.thanks a lot guys!

Re: 14V AC 500 mA external power supply

I would think radio shack would have one or one you can modify... multitech BT series modems use a wall wart that matches your needs, so if you cant find one get in touch with them or if you have one that is close get back to me with the specs and I'll tell you what you need/how to modify it... good luck.

: i need urgently this product .can anybody help me?
: i hope.thanks a lot guys!

Fender Strat like Jeff Beck Strat???

Hello,

I really like the Jeff Beck strat, it is fat and heavy, such a good feel. Are there any strats out there that are similar to this? I don't really want the pickups, etc on the Beck model, but I like the feel.

thanks,

Geo

metalica lick ass

metalica have to be the worse band ive heard. The lead singer can't sing and he CAN'T play for his life. All in all USA guitarists lick ass.

Re: metalica kicks ass

Ok, I have got to rip on you so bad, dude. First of all, you spelled Metallica WRONG, and second of all you made the cursed statement that Metallica sucks. The lead singer is the best out there - believe me, you couldn't match his skill, man. And WTF do you mean about USA guitarists being the best? James, Kirk, Lars, and Newsted are USA born and bred. Fuck off asshole, and keep your comments to yourself. This is a guitar discussion forum, not a band commentary.

Can anyone recommend a solid acoustic-electric bass?

I was on Musician's Friend and saw models from Dean, Rogue, Takamine, and Ibanez. I know Takamine and Ibanez would offer solid quality and I don't mind spending a bit more. But would I get comparable quality from a Dean or a Rogue? (I was especially the looking at the Dean Performance model). Any other names I should consider?

Re: Can anyone recommend a solid acoustic-electric bass?

: I was on Musician's Friend and saw models from Dean, Rogue, Takamine, and Ibanez. I know Takamine and Ibanez would offer solid quality and I don't mind spending a bit more. But would I get comparable quality from a Dean or a Rogue? (I was especially the looking at the Dean Performance model). Any other names I should consider?

Check out <link>http://www.harmony-central.com/</link> for their user reviews of different makes and models.

Silicone and guitar

Hi!
I am thinkng of using silicone spray (used for clean autovehicles board) to clear my guitar and make it shiny:)
But I've red an article on a site that says "Products containing silicone should not be used".
What do you think of that?

Re: Silicone and guitar

I would not, stick to regular guitar polish or even pledge... are you thinking of using armorall ???

: I am thinkng of using silicone spray (used for clean autovehicles board) to clear my guitar and make it shiny:)
: But I've red an article on a site that says "Products containing silicone should not be used".
: What do you think of that?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2022 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.