Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2002

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Avril Lavigne

Avril you is magic,fantastic,...........Bye bye Angel!!!!!Complicated is fantastic!!!Kiss kiss

Re: Avril Lavigne

AVRIL U ARE GREAT I WISH I COULD MEET U WELL I BETTER LET U GO BEY

Epiphone Serials....

Epiphone Serials....

This popular thread has been given its own page : Epiphone Serials....

SRV THE BEST

SRV IS THE BEST PLAYER OF ALL TIME
HE PLAY LITTLE WING BETTER THA JIMMY AND CLAPTON
SAID HE IS THE BEST.

Re: SRV THE BEST

Jimi layed down the ground work for these guys.That's why his sound was so COPIED!!

DREAM COME TRUE by FROZEN GHOST

I have seen this request several times, and have scowered the net for a long while now. The only place I found that had a link to it was on this site, but that was over a year ago and that site has gone down. If someone could please either email or post where the tab can be found, it would be VERY VERY much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Paradox

Re: DREAM COME TRUE by FROZEN GHOST

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/f_show_song.php3?id=13291

TEACHER

SIR, I AM INTERESTED IN LEARNING TO PLAY THE GUITAR. I AM A BEGINNER. DO YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND A TEACHER WHO CAN HELP ME. I AM WILLING TO PAY. PLEASE LET M HERE FROM YOU SOON.

Re: TEACHER

I WILL TEACH YOU FOR A FEE, AND AFTER PAYMENT IS RECEIVED YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO CALL ME SIR... SERIOUSLY JUST GO TO ANY MUSIC STORE, THE YELLOW PAGES, OR ASK PLAYERS AT CLUBS WHOS GIVING LESSONS.

: SIR, I AM INTERESTED IN LEARNING TO PLAY THE GUITAR. I AM A BEGINNER. DO YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND A TEACHER WHO CAN HELP ME. I AM WILLING TO PAY. PLEASE LET M HERE FROM YOU SOON.

Guitar

I got a sweet total Gibson guitar package, go to http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=898393015 to check it out.

Gp-16 - low volume

My GP-16 processor suddenly lost a lot of volume. The effects work fine but the output is realy soft. I have checked all the obvious stuff. Would anyone know what the problem might be.

getting your home recordings heard

does anyone know of any sites where you can upload your bands recordings (free if possible), or share your music with others (ie. for comments or advice). any advice or help much appreciated

Re: getting your home recordings heard

good question, i'm trying to do the same thing, its pretty fucking ridiculous how hard it is to get someone to listen to the tunes. keep up the good fight

The Betst Beginer vid/CD Rom for Acoustic ,beginner?

Hi I am compleatly new to playong the Guitar. I have a Pretty nice Alversz acoustis Electric cut away, and i am taking my first lesson today Aug 8th,2002. If any one can help me out by pointing me to a realy top notch home lesson CD-Rom Or Vhs hopefully that offers advanced lessions for you can buy as you improve i would br greatfull. Thanks,Paul

For those ...

about to instrumental guitar rock music. Please visit:
http://mp3.com/Giovanni_Capitani
Thanks

Guitar World Acoustic

Does anyone out there have access to a copy of Guitar World Acoustic issue #48 (Allman Brothers on cover)? I am willing to pay money--I desperately want this!!
Thanks.

Peavey or Marshall......please help!

I'm on the verge of doing something increadibly stupid or the best thing I've ever done. What to do if I can get a Peavey Bandit 112 (second edition) new for 390 euro; 100 watts, 2 channels, solid state or a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401 for £150; 40 watts, 3 channels, valve state.....the only problem is that I live in Belgium and I would have to make arrangements to ship the Marshall from England while I'm at the beach 1200km away from home. Whereas I could deal with the Peavey later on without any worries. Complicated, innit?

Re: Peavey or Marshall......please help!

If I were you I would do anything I could to get my hands on that Marshall. I own a Marshall Valvestate 2000 Avt 100 and another guy in my band owns a peavey 112. Whilst the peavey does a good job, the Marshall kicks it's arse tone wise and he wishes he owned one. If the 40watts is a concern, don't worry you can always mic it.

: If I were you I would do anything I could to get my hands on that Marshall. I own a Marshall Valvestate 2000 Avt 100 and another guy in my band owns a peavey 112. Whilst the peavey does a good job, the Marshall kicks it's arse tone wise and he wishes he owned one. If the 40watts is a concern, don't worry you can always mic it.

Well, it seems that only a marshall sounds like a marshall, but as a amp tech, I can tell you from too much experience that all of the marshall amps, except perhaps the plexi, are made like crap, bad designs, bad components, and difficult to work on. Good thing they come with a five year warranty, they need 'em, but I wont do any more marshall (korg) warranties, the company is always trying to screw the techs. Nope, those repairs will cost!

I have to agree,as an amp tech Marshall valvestates have become my bread and butter.The only amps I've seen break down more are Crate amps.Love to see the crappy workmanship they are building into these amps lately.All the overseas labor really helps people like me.I won't work on any new Fender crap anymore.I still use Peavey because it's still built tough,unlike the trucks using the same slogan.I would never consider doing marshall for a warranty center.How fast things change,bottom line....forget all the new bells and whistles...go for what you know(and rarely is it built in korea or mexico)

Adding 3rd strap button to RIC bass--help!

Adding 3rd strap button to RIC bass--help!

This popular thread has been given its own page : Adding 3rd strap button to RIC bass--help!

General reply to who's the best.

Hi everybody, nice site; didn't have a chance to surf it yet but this topic sort of caught my eye.

Some "heavy" names have been mentioned and ALL very worthy of such a title; however, one name seems to be absent from those that I've seen so far. Mike Bloomfield, who was the "first" guitar hero and preceeded many "old timer" names by as much as 4 years with outstanding guitar work that caught the eyes of "all" those other names mentioned. Just some food for thought.

However, if I was to choose "MY" favorite I would pick Jeff Beck; for his sheer brillance, speed, and knowledge of the instrument/effects I believe he is unsurpassed in his field.

Re: General reply to who's the best.

Hmm.It's hard to say who's THE BEST.There were so many bad mofos,that makes it hard to narrow it down to ONE person.It's like asking,which is more dangerous,the grizzly bear or polar bear? They're BOTH very dangerous.

montaya guitars acou.

montaya guitars acou.

This popular thread has been given its own page : montaya guitars acou.

Radio in my amp

Radio in my amp

This popular thread has been given its own page : Radio in my amp

GUITARIST W/VOCALS NEEDED, WHITE PLAINS,MD.

Silverado is a southern maryland based originals rock/country/southern rock band located in white plains,md.
we are currently auditioning for a male or female rythem guitarist w/ three part harmony vocals full of dedication to upcoming cd project and future show dates.**Drug Free Zone**
Contact Silverado at: silverado_music@yahoo.com
To send your demo contact: somdmusician@hotmail.com

ps- we are mature adults, this is not a fly by night teen dream operation.serious inquieries only.

Carvin amps?

can anyone give me any advice on buying a decent half stack for under 800.00
ive looked at the carvin sx series and the randall rh100 and cab and many others. i jus want a good amp for my money if anyone could tell me from experience of owning a good amp or just can give some advice
thanks

Carvin amps?

can anyone give me any advice on buying a decent half stack for under 800.00
ive looked at the carvin sx series and the randall rh100 and cab and many others. i jus want a good amp for my money if anyone could tell me from experience of owning a good amp or just can give some advice
thanks

Re: Carvin amps?

I like the Carvins!

: can anyone give me any advice on buying a decent half stack for under 800.00
: ive looked at the carvin sx series and the randall rh100 and cab and many others. i jus want a good amp for my money if anyone could tell me from experience of owning a good amp or just can give some advice
: thanks

: : can anyone give me any advice on buying a decent half stack for under 800.00
: : ive looked at the carvin sx series and the randall rh100 and cab and many others. i jus want a good amp for my money if anyone could tell me from experience of owning a good amp or just can give some advice
: : thanks
i got a carvin half stack with tube head and built in equalizer, i wanted a G 4 it but if you can get me 8 thats cool. it is in perfect cond. and sounds mean awesome bottom end (bass) so its beafy esspecially if you tune down. any ?

THIS SITE SUCKS

THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS

so does your mother

: THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS THIS SITE SUCKS

marshall jcm 800 lead series 2204. any good ?

marshall jcm 800 lead series 2204.  any good ?

This popular thread has been given its own page : marshall jcm 800 lead series 2204. any good ?

Boss MT-2

Hi. I currently own an electric guitar that has 2 single coil and a humbucker. My amp has a overdrive effect. Do you think that it is worth to buy the MT-2 pedal effect or switch to dual humbucker guitar? I would like to have Metallica sound. Please advise. Thanks

Re: Boss MT-2

no don't get the metal zone they suck.
my friend has one and after playing it for about half an hour the novelty wore off and i realised that they were a waste off money.
if you want the metallica sound buy the same gear they have

help needed in composing better songs

its been 2 months since i started playing the guitar [self taught] n ive composed a lot of songs by combining various chords together, but i don't seem to get diversity in my songs...i think i require more knowledge of chord combinations...help needed!

Re: help needed in composing better songs

Get a music degree, that is what i did.

Re: help needed in composing better songs

Just get a chord reference book or download one and spend some time every day learing new ones and differnt voicings, thats an easy way to start and after playing adound like that for a while you will naturally figure out how chords are formed and to come up with alternate voicings on your own. Good luck and have fun.

: its been 2 months since i started playing the guitar [self taught] n ive composed a lot of songs by combining various chords together, but i don't seem to get diversity in my songs...i think i require more knowledge of chord combinations...help needed!

Looking for Bassman 10 repair help

Equipment: 1979 Bassman 10; 2 channels (Bass/Guitar).

I am getting an extreme annoying loud crackling sound from the Bass channel and have found out that the 100K resistor/resistors are bad. After the amp warms up (about an hour) the sound “sometimes” goes away, it always dissipates to lower levels however.

My question is this:

I have noticed that the interior seems to be “waxed” or coated with some sort of substance, when I heat the solder to remove the old/bad resistors what effect will this waxy substance have on the resolder project. It seems to me that the wax (if that’s what it is) will interfere with making a good solder. If this is a problem, what is an effective way to remove and clean up this waxy material.

Thanks for any help,

Re: Looking for Bassman 10 repair help

Found the answer. The wax will not interfer with soldering.

Should I rebuild my silvertone amp

Hi

Can you help me please? I own a Silvertone Model 1472. It's in very good condition. All original parts. I bought it around 1980. I've used it very little since I have own it. I have started to use it more and more as a practice amp connected to my Boss GT5 and 1982 Gibson Les Paul custom. I recently bought new tubes and I'm thinking about installing a new speaker, new capacitors and maybe resistors because everything is so old. When I hit hi's on my guitar the speaker starts to vibrate.
My question is what kind of speaker should I replace the old one with and should I replace the electronics. Is it a 4 ohm speaker? I have no intention of throwing the old parts away. I feel like if I do this I will change the sound along with the old parts and it won't be original anymore.Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Erne

Re: Should I rebuild my silvertone amp

Replace the speaker first and then see what you got, I wouldn't mess with the electronics unless your having serious noise problems, you'll be surprised how long those resistors will last.

Most technicians are using Jensen's for replacement speakers, but Celection's are also good; I like the old Fender speakers when and if they can be found.

Re: Should I rebuild my silvertone amp

I also have one of the Silvertone 1472 guitar amps that had a intermittent problem. I took the chassis out and found a solder joint on the wiper of the tremolo speed pot had never been soldered !!.
On an older amp like this it is good to check/replace the filter caps. *If there is a lot of 120Hz hum when it is turned "ON", the power supply filters are going out. Yo can also look to see if they are bulging, or leaking some ooze (bad sign / change them). Use the same voltage or higher rated versions at a similar or a bit higher capacitance value.
The 12inch speaker in that model amp is rated for 3.2 Ohms. A 4 Ohm model is more common.
Here is a listing for a schematic for that model:
http://www.doctoraudio.us/Silvertone/schematics.html
Best regards, Wild Jim

My FAV base guitarist

His name is mark, I don't know his last name, It's not McGee, He played with the Edgar Winter Band On Aug. 8, 2002. I would like to find a website or something about him.. Please reply I will be checking back every day. This makr has blackish brownish Kinda curly hair but it's short.. When I saw him play he had a white cowboy hat on, tan jeans and a black sweatshirt.. Please reply Back ^^

Re: My FAV base guitarist

: His name is mark, I don't know his last name, It's not McGee, He played with the Edgar Winter Band On Aug. 8, 2002. I would like to find a website or something about him.. Please reply I will be checking back every day. This makr has blackish brownish Kinda curly hair but it's short.. When I saw him play he had a white cowboy hat on, tan jeans and a black sweatshirt.. Please reply Back ^^

Maybe he meant free base (ing) guitarist

to me

: : His name is mark, I don't know his last name, It's not McGee, He played with the Edgar Winter Band On Aug. 8, 2002. I would like to find a website or something about him.. Please reply I will be checking back every day. This makr has blackish brownish Kinda curly hair but it's short.. When I saw him play he had a white cowboy hat on, tan jeans and a black sweatshirt.. Please reply Back ^^

Fender Strat '00 for sale on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=898726093

This is a great guitar - burgundy polished finish. It was my first guitar and sounds great. Check it out the address above.

WRONG LINK FOR FENDER STRAT ... CHECK ABOVE

HELP! HELP! I AM AN IDIOT!! AND I NEED HELP!!!

Ok, i just got a guitar... and ibanez pf5,and i can't figure out for the life of me how to attatch a guitar strap to it! I know that's probably really stupid, but i can only find one strap button thingy on the base of the gutar, there's nothing wher the housing meets th fret board. Somebody please tell me what to do!! HELP HELP!!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2021 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.